• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Over-packing my work bag! Do you do this?

Highway Cowboy

Hi guys I'm a Truck Driver here in the UK, I work days and am home most nights.

As with all the driver's I take my bag to work with me. Most of the drivers will just take their SatNav and sandwiches and couple of bits with them. However I HAVE TO have in my bag my SatNav, charger, atlases (just in case), spare jacket, 2 x Hi Vis (absolutely immaculate), folder for paperwork, over a dozen pens, 6 x spare tacho rolls, a variety of tools (never used), spare writing pads, bandages and plasters, cable ties (never used) , 4 pairs of gloves, a torch ,spray polish and cleaning cloths, hand sanitiser gel and packet of antibacterial wet wipes and tissue roll. I also have a power bank just in case my phone charger or satnav charger fails.
Takes me ages getting my bag ready for work and everyone thinks it's really funny how much stuff I take, I will probably never use most of it but if I don't have it then I really worry and feel under prepared. I have dozens of pens for example. I know I only need one but I have to have several with me.
Does anyone else do this ?
Another thing I do alot of is Making Lists. Anytime I have to go anywhere or do anything slightly different then I have to write a list.

People think I'm obsessive but is it "normal" behaviour for us Aspies? I have only recently been diagnosed with Aspergers aged 46.

Oh yes, I can relate to this when I am travelling or on holiday (vacation), I tend to overthink the trip and think of all sorts of scenarios where I might need things and tend to over-pack. I want to cover all eventualities. Or I can't decide between two items of clothing, so end up taking both.

Oh yes, I can relate to this when I am travelling or on holiday (vacation), I tend to overthink the trip and think of all sorts of scenarios where I might need things and tend to over-pack. Or I can't decide between two items of clothing, so end up taking both.
I'm exactly the same. I always think "what if" and pack for every scenario. We had a weekend away recently and I must have taken enough stuff for a month!
I'm the same with my car. Even though I have comprehensive RAC Breakdown Cover and I have a very good reliable car that I keep in tip top condition, my boot is half full of tools and equipment that I will probably never need or use... But I can't be without them (just in case)

Yup! I am a chronic over-packer. I'd rather have more than I ultimately need than be in a situation where I don't have what I need.

I don’t really think you are over packing. You are driving long distances and responsible for cargo to go from point A to point B. A dozen pens, that may be over packing, but they don't really take up much space. Maybe swith out some pens and add a mechanical pencil. Four pairs of gloves might be two pairs too many. I would add extra batteries for the flashlight/torch though and food and water. And matches.
I would rather be prepared for anything than just sitting helpless somewhere!

Depends.. If for instance I'm camping in the middle of nowhere and know there's no store available nearby: I over analyze what I should bring and struggle to decide. It also takes me ages. I still don't pack a much as some other people though, because I know I'll regret it once I have to carry it all through public transport.

If going anywhere in the populated world: as long as I got my phone, debit card and passport, I can buy whatever I forgot (which I admit never happens, but it soothes my mind).

On the daily I tend to more often than not bring extra clothes I don't use (HATE being cold) and my bag tends to get fuller every day as I just chuck things in and never clear it out. :rolleyes:

Hi guys I'm a Truck Driver here in the UK, I work days and am home most nights.

As with all the driver's I take my bag to work with me. Most of the drivers will just take their SatNav and sandwiches and couple of bits with them. However I HAVE TO have in my bag my SatNav, charger, atlases (just in case), spare jacket, 2 x Hi Vis (absolutely immaculate), folder for paperwork, over a dozen pens, 6 x spare tacho rolls, a variety of tools (never used), spare writing pads, bandages and plasters, cable ties (never used) , 4 pairs of gloves, a torch ,spray polish and cleaning cloths, hand sanitiser gel and packet of antibacterial wet wipes and tissue roll. I also have a power bank just in case my phone charger or satnav charger fails.
Takes me ages getting my bag ready for work and everyone thinks it's really funny how much stuff I take, I will probably never use most of it but if I don't have it then I really worry and feel under prepared. I have dozens of pens for example. I know I only need one but I have to have several with me.
Does anyone else do this ?
Another thing I do alot of is Making Lists. Anytime I have to go anywhere or do anything slightly different then I have to write a list.

People think I'm obsessive but is it "normal" behaviour for us Aspies? I have only recently been diagnosed with Aspergers aged 46.

You just described my purse. I could live for a week on what's inside my handbag on any given day. LOL.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries a dozen pens and multiple notepads with me everywhere I go. You never know - I might go on a writing spree while I'm out somewhere and more than one pen run out of ink. :) I overpack on everything but clothes and I tend to underpack in that category. Two week trip and I go with 3 outfits? (But it gave me a good excuse to buy tshirts from the places we visited).

I'm always annoyed at people who disparage me over taking notes or making lists. It works for me, so why should I conform to standards of others that may increase the possibility of failure?

In terms of traits and behaviors I'm more prone to thinking it's relative to my OCD. But I suspect it all boils down to the individual, Neurodiverse or Neurotypical.

It never hurts to be prepared for anything that might come your way. When my wife and I go exploring in the back country, I make sure we have what we might need in case we break down or get stuck. The Jeep has a complete tool set, a recovery kit, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and some spare parts that stay in there all of the time. We always take water and food also. If we go out of town in the car, I put the Jeeps tool set in the trunk of the car. My service truck has everything I need because it is a service truck.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with having a set collection of standard supplies and emergency supplies. It is so much smarter than having to decide each day what you think you should bring, and I imagine each item has its place for the potential needs which occur daily. Making decisions about provisions can be taxing - relieve yourself of that burden.

When I pack for a vacation or excursion, I always make a list. This way I can see if I am taking 7 different things that can be better accommodated with 2 only. It also serves to help you not forget something important - tickets, passport, currency, reading material, etc. This is how people keep themselves organized and prepared. It's efficient and complete. You should be proud of yourself for having this ability and choosing to exercise it.

Glad to see that I am not the only one who does this as well when i travel, its worse when i travel for work. I had a interview earlier in the year, was there for 4 days (including flights there and back) and I work as coder so my packing looked something like:

• Windows laptop
  • Mac Laptop
  • Android phone x2
  • iPhone X1
  • Windows phone X1
  • Android tablet x1
  • iPad x1
  • Bluetooth headset x1
  • Wired headset x2
  • 5x shirts
  • 2x shorts
  • 2x pants
  • 3x long sleeve shirts/over shirts
  • 4x undergarments
  • all the items i use for stimming
  • all the chargers and power cords
  • spare battery packs
  • back up meds
  • multiple paper, pens, colored pencils, etc.
  • passport in case I drive up to Canada
if i am doing this for driving it would be all that plus a
  • 24 pack of water
  • Enough snacks and food for a week
  • blankets
  • 4x road flairs
  • 4x of the little road triangle things
  • tools for basic on road side repairs (change tires, gas can, etc)
Other things just depend on where i am going and how far I end up going and where could add a huge number of things. I got some weird looks from TSA Officials when i went though security. I got precheck to reduce the stress and I know I will get global entry when i fly to the UK but not sure if what i pack will fly...

Once packed for two weeks of canoe camping into the canadian bush and lake district. Clothing, tent, sleeping bags, water purifier, small gas stove, medical pack, freeze dried food for two weeks. It was difficult in the beginning with us carrying everything in our packs as well as a light weight canoe. We portaged from lake to lake, and it became easier as we went along as our load lightened. It taught me how to pack for the next camping expedition with only the essentials. With a car or truck, it's far easier to bring everything you need, as you have the space to bring many things along. Being prepared for any eventuality is important.

Is it causing problems? If it bugs you, and you can't cut it down on your own, see a therapist. It's their job to help you. If it doesn't cause you any problems, you'll just be the most prepared guy on the road. You might try cutting down to two pens, just to show yourself that you can.

I tend to pack double when going away, e.g. enough clothing for a fortnight even though it’s only a week away!

Also like my lists, I make a list for each trip and make that list by checking my previous lists and my master list that pretty much has everything on it that I’ve ever taken on any type of holiday, wedding or work trip, etc. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom