• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Outed by a school safeguarding manager

In a not so recent incident at my children’s school where I stopped two teenagers kicking each other in the head during a fireworks night, organised by the PTA, by intervention using shouting and swearing (ie triggered,distressed, and pre diagnosed), I was the one who was sanctioned by the school safeguarding manager.
I would have thought for intimidation, but it turns out it’s for swearing, at a pupil, who they don’t think was fighting.
The pupil has since been withdrawn from the school by his parents - for fighting.
The pupils parent wasn’t at the parent supervised fireworks night, and threatened to get the police involved for my section 5 - Abuse - under the public order act (uk).
My chief inspector of the met police friend reassured me a reaction and intervention isn’t abuse but actual protocol to shock and stop an affray, which is a section 1 offence under the public order act - ie much much more serious.

Anyway, me, the victim blamed distressed parent, despite my apology for swearing (which seems to be accepted because the police where never involved), has stuck to my unenforceable informal sanction and kept a low profile at the school and kept away - just drop off and pick up.
I’ve had some back channel chat with a senior staff member and explained my rather stressful family situation, but also informally told him that I have now been diagnosed and that helps understand my overwhelm and triggering in the evening. Because fireworks, let alone the assault.

This has all been off the record.
I know it’s ok for him to mention that as he discusses - off the record with the safeguarding manager when on earth this sanction is going to end, to which I’ve had no appeal or formal discussion.
But another incident / conversation with a staff member who touched my shoulder, led the safeguarding manager to email me recently, totally unrelated and not a safeguarding matter, but he’s decided to flag it as such and conflate things together.
I was so offended I’ve blocked his email and told the school to only pass me emails via the headmaster because he’s clearly incompetent and his answers need vetting by a senior member of staff.
In his formal response - the safeguarding manager added in writing “even though we have taken your diagnosis into account “.

I now know what it feels like to be publicly outed against my will, permission or consent.

I would like to know which laws in the UK this so called safeguarding manager has broken, by my counting I think three.
But ethically in terms of the skills for his job - probably all of them.

Any advice on which direction and how to address this with the school? Including experienced lawyer details would be appreciated!

Just an opinion from across the pond.

From what I see of some of your laws, it appears that parents regardless of good intentions, are legally "outside the loop" when it comes to disciplining students, particularly on school property. Conversely it would be the school's Safeguarding Manager responsibility for the incident in question. With some embarrassed low-level bureaucrats preferring to take out their ire on you than on him. Since you were there and he was...where exactly?

What all may amount to a minor "cover-up". After all, there's so much less paperwork and legal issues in blaming you rather than the school's Safeguarding Manager. But his transgressions likely remain a moot point if there's no one willing to prosecute him in a civil court.

Your autism is definitely mentioned pertinent to conditions and disabilities of your nation's "Equality Act". However IMO I suspect that a petty bureaucrat mentioning your condition in a written, but private communication probably doesn't rise to the level of a tort in the eyes of your civil courts. From what I see, you certainly have the right to file a complaint regarding potential discrimination and victimization involving education.

However I just wouldn't expect any action taken, but that's just my opinion. Though I did have nearly 20 years of experience in liability underwriting, so such scenarios are not completely alien to me. Basically it just appears as a messy way of the school protecting both their responsibility as well as their potential liability.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom