• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Other behaviors/conditions associated with AS

Another skin picker here! Specifically I almost constantly am biting skin off my lips, and I occansionally bite my nails.

As a child (primary school age) I used to rip the corners of the pages of books and eat them, I'd completely forgotten about it until I read this post!

My sister doesn't have ASD but she has mysophonia, the sound of eating drives her nuts, to the point that she always listens to music on earphones when someone is eating in the same room as her, we have to warn her in advance.

Some misophonia, but amplitude and frequency related. Any loud sound or very high or low pitched sounds are uncomfortable. I can hear bass from a VERY longvway off!

Skin/spot picking, nail biting, also used to eat paper/corners of books and chew pencils and pens into oblivion-I stopped that after having two horrible incidents of Biro ink leaking into my mouth in school, that stuff is vile.

I pick at everything. Clothing, skin, paint, furniture, pets, whatever. Anything dangling must go. I think it's a form of self-soothing, as it does seem to get worse when I'm stressed. As a teen, I would repeatedly scrape most of the skin off of my nose, until I was bleeding pretty badly. It would scab over, and I'd pick it again the next day. I guess the damage wasn't too bad, because it never scarred, but it really alarmed my parents. I actually had a few doctor's convinced that I had Renfield's Syndrome for a while there, because I had an abnormal obsession with my own blood (licking it off of bandages, chewing at my own lips until they bled, chewing my cuticles, giving myself hickeys up and down my arms, etc).

I definitely have issues with sounds as well. I have very good ears, but somewhere between my ears and my brain the signal get's scrambled. I have to use subtitles almost all the time, I can rarely understand people over the phone, and I often mistake ambient noises for voices. It's incredibly frustrating for my boyfriend, who has a bit of a stutter and a mumbling problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom