• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

oooh I don't know what this is

Are you expecting me to kiss your ring?

No, but you have to kiss Luca Brasi.

220px-Luca_Brasi.gif

It's a Don deal. An offer you cannot refuse.

Last edited:
as a lifelong professional and amateur musician with fairly catholic tastes the style of screaming into a mike at high volume makes me crazy. This unfortunately is a dominate style even with otherwise good voices.

I've always like male voices for singing or listening to such as in a speech, news, etc.
I know it is the higher pitch that I don't like.
I've thought it over through my life and recognise that is the reason.
Don't care for today's style of what is called singing with the screechy, undulating voices and tunes that have been changed to such a degree they don't even sound like a melody.
It's just not for me even if it is obviously for a lot of people.

I like music to sleep by and it has to be at just the right pitch and sound level.
Thankfully I have a remote and if the volume is a bit off I must adjust it or it will keep me awake.

There is one exception to the rule of finding a female voice calming: Enya.
It may be synthesized, but, sounds heavenly to me.
I also use guided meditations from Dr. Emmett Miller. His voice can sooth my nerves anytime I get uptight.

Me, too!

I always assumed it was an ingrained social bias. Women were not even allowed to DO anything until recently. So naturally, all this female singing is new (unless you count smoky bars, etc)

MANY people feel this way about women in the military, as pilots, preachers, officers, etc

However, some people still feel weird with male nurse and teachers.

I believe the aversion is simply an ingrained bias based on male preferences over millennia.

I love the sound of anyone's clear lyrical singing, male or female. It is the screeching, screaming style that bothers me from either sex. Kiri Te Kanawa with the unbelievable operatic voice, Ella Fitzgerald with the music from the big band era are to love

Me, too!

I always assumed it was an ingrained social bias. Women were not even allowed to DO anything until recently. So naturally, all this female singing is new (unless you count smoky bars, etc)

MANY people feel this way about women in the military, as pilots, preachers, officers, etc

However, some people still feel weird with male nurse and teachers.

I believe the aversion is simply an ingrained bias based on male preferences over millennia.
I don't know about others or other places, but I don't think it's social bias for me. You'd be surprised at what women were doing in the 50's and 60's. When I was a kid - we had male teachers and nothing was thought about it, female singers were just as plentiful as male, there were women in construction and in the military, police departments, etc.

Depends on the pitch and tone. I actually tend to prefer female voices, but there are also some male singers that I enjoy listening to. Not a fan of Ellie Goulding because her singing sounds almost like a whisper and it's not my style at all.

This is probably somewhat down to the fact that I enjoy singing, and tend to prefer voices that are similar to mine as a result. I'm only an amateur with a limited understanding of various singing techniques. When I'm singing I tend to attempt to copy the singer and only occasionally try to put my own spin on a song. However, I do seem to have a tendency to rush the lyrics.

Some examples of the kind of female singing voices that I enjoy:

:)

Last edited:

When I'm working jigsaw puzzles, I don't like the puzzles with people in the picture. @Sherlock77 I loved your photographs and the people in your photos told a story, but while looking at them I realized I preferred the photos with people at a distance more and I found myself, in some photos, trying to look past the people. More so when the subject is female. I like the old cowboys with wrinkled faces and nothing appeals to me more than a man's smile lines around his eyes. So maybe it has to do with the lack of wrinkles and imperfections.
Wait - I think it's the faces. This sounds terrible, but just like I don't like female singers, I also don't like female faces.

I prefer photos without people in them, too. I remember going on a school trip and taking loads of photos of buildings and other things that interested me, but no pictures of classmates and especially not of people posing in the photos. I know some people who literally can't take a photo without either themselves or some other person being in it and posing in front of the building or monument, but never do this. I'm not a huge fan of taking pictures anyway, and only ever do so if I find something truly unique and interesting. And selfies - don't get my started on those. It's just boring. I don't need photos to remember things, and don't get all emotional over photos the way some people do.

Ahh... Sorry just got home from work while all these posts piled up... I did see this post while at work on lunch break...

I see what you're saying, I have evolved into my style of photography, not the traditional close up street photography, trying to show more of the overall scene, also a form of this is what is called an environmental portrait, people within the scene... And I might add that most people I photograph are complete strangers to me, whether a stranger portrait or candid... Actually I rarely photograph my friends and family, as I tend to look for something more candid

And I get bored with traditional landscape photography, I look more what I call "how people interact with the world around them", whether it's a building, or vehicle, or people within a landscape...

Ahh... Sorry just got home from work while all these posts piled up... I did see this post while at work on lunch break...

I see what you're saying, I have evolved into my style of photography, not the traditional close up street photography, trying to show more of the overall scene, also a form of this is what is called an environmental portrait, people within the scene... And I might add that most people I photograph are complete strangers to me, whether a stranger portrait or candid... Actually I rarely photograph my friends and family, as I tend to look for something more candid

And I get bored with traditional landscape photography, I look more what I call "how people interact with the world around them", whether it's a building, or vehicle, or people within a landscape...
I think that's what I like about your photos - it's people within the environment, rather than just a person.

@Pats , didn't you write (on another post) that you had issues with your mom when you were growing up? Did she, by any chance, sing around the house?

(I don't mean to pry. It just seemed like there might be a connection.)

@Pats , didn't you write (on another post) that you had issues with your mom when you were growing up? Did she, by any chance, sing around the house?

(I don't mean to pry. It just seemed like there might be a connection.)
That would definitely be a connection, but, no, she didn't sing. I heard her sing very softly a couple times and would try to get her to sing, but she wouldn't. I kinda think she was possibly on the spectrum, too. I didn't have major issues with her - mine were mostly because my dad. She did more of the role reversal thing and I usually was trying to protect her.

I actually prefer female vocals over male vocals. But not ones that get too opera-ish. I enjoyed Whitney Houston in the 80s but in the 90s she got too opera-ish for my tastes, and "I will Always Love You" is like driving nails into my ears. Loved Dolly Parton's version of it though.

Oh, I know that song. lol Kind of reminds me of Tiny Tim's tiptoe through the tulips. Maybe it is the higher pitch. :)

Funny about that very Stacey Q song. Back in 1997 I got a Clarion CD changer with modulator for my car. That song was on a compilation CD, so I don't have any more of her. That was the ONLY song in my collection that would make the circuitry fart out. Her high pitched "S" sounds would make the sound fuzz and crackle every time. All I could do was reduce the input signal until it was significantly less than the radio and it still wasn't quite right. I contacted Crutchfield but they didn't understand there was a problem. Later on an Alpine unit of the same era performed it flawlessly.

Your sound issues are very interesting!
As a child I couldn't stand high female voices either. I hated the sharp sound of violins. Then when I grew up, my first love happened to be a violinist and guess what, I started to love the violin-sound. But only those of great violins in combination with great violinists. There are huge differences.
As I'm a musician I did some research on my aversions.
As some of you (or might be many), I'm very sensible to pitch. I can't stand synthetic music, because of the- in my perception-very unnatural "pitch measurement". It's like I would wear the wrong glasses.
The same with voices, if there is insecure pitch covered by vibrato for example I would be troubled. In general all, that sounds too artificial would provoke aversion.
There is a story about Mozart: when he first heard a friend of his father playing the trumpet he fainted, because he was so scared of the sound.

I see what you're saying, I have evolved into my style of photography, not the traditional close up street photography, trying to show more of the overall scene, also a form of this is what is called an environmental portrait, people within the scene...
People in a photo as part of the environment is fine, it's the selfie-type photo, or family holiday type photos with people posing in front of buildings that I don't like.... if a building is interesting enough to me for me to want to take a photo of it, then the building will be the subject of the photo, not a person, the person doesn't belong in the photo. One or the other, but not both. With scenery, I need to have a specific focus for the photo, something unusual or something viewed at an unique angle, not just the 'what a pretty scene, let's take a photo' that most people do.

As far female singers - I don't like "most" modern "performances" because the music industry wants the females to sound soooo "sexy" and, to me, the results are soooo "sickening".
YES, though this is just one of the effects of the now industry willing to sacrifice everything so more people will get it.

I hear many female voices in online content, and it happens to me often that it's plain irritating. The weird part is that a good amount of female voices aren't at all and I don't even think about it. I noticed not much of a pattern or correlation as to why.

I don't care for much of the music today. I've always preferred male singers over females.
This breathy, moany, whiney struggling-to-get-a-breath out sound they have today really gets on my nerves. I much prefer late 70s, early 80s pop/rock music, I don't know what it's callled. It was just in the last few years I realized what some of the lyrics were actually talking about, which is disgusting. ??? Not much to listen to these days. The only difference now is they are more open with what they are talking about rather than trying to diguise it like they used to. And the costumes they wear? Yuck. Much too revealing and much too little there. Country music is no longer country. But no, I never really liked female singers, only a few that had a catchy song ever caught my ear, and it was the music not the singer. TMI, I'm sure, sorry about that.

I don't care for much of the music today. I've always preferred male singers over females.
This breathy, moany, whiney struggling-to-get-a-breath out sound they have today really gets on my nerves. I much prefer late 70s, early 80s pop/rock music, I don't know what it's callled. It was just in the last few years I realized what some of the lyrics were actually talking about, which is disgusting. ??? Not much to listen to these days. The only difference now is they are more open with what they are talking about rather than trying to diguise it like they used to. And the costumes they wear? Yuck. Much too revealing and much too little there. Country music is no longer country. But no, I never really liked female singers, only a few that had a catchy song ever caught my ear, and it was the music not the singer. TMI, I'm sure, sorry about that.
I totally agree, except late 60's - early 70's for me. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom