• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

oooh I don't know what this is

Pats

V.I.P Member
This is weird. Has nothing to do with friendships. I have male and female friends and acquaintances that I enjoy being around, so it's not that at all.

I know that all my life I have not liked female singers in general. It's more of an aversion. I don't know why. It's no different than my aversion to celery - well, not as bad as celery. I will recognize they have talent and I can tolerate it, but I just don't care to listen to female singers. If it's just me, I'll switch to a different song. Maybe it's just the higher pitch - although I'm the same with Johnny Cash and Tom Jones.

When I'm working jigsaw puzzles, I don't like the puzzles with people in the picture. @Sherlock77 I loved your photographs and the people in your photos told a story, but while looking at them I realized I preferred the photos with people at a distance more and I found myself, in some photos, trying to look past the people. More so when the subject is female. I like the old cowboys with wrinkled faces and nothing appeals to me more than a man's smile lines around his eyes. So maybe it has to do with the lack of wrinkles and imperfections.
Wait - I think it's the faces. This sounds terrible, but just like I don't like female singers, I also don't like female faces.

And, no, it's not a phobia or anything like that. It's just like not liking a certain color or a certain food. I don't like orange, so there is nothing orange in my house. I don't like female voices, so there are no cd's or albums of female singers here, just like there will not be orchestra or bluegrass. I just thought it was a weird dislike. I don't know if the autism has anything to do with it or not. I do know we have very strong likes or dislikes, so I do accredit that much to autism. With anything (purses, shoes, outfits) I either really like something or really hate it and there is no in between.

As far female singers - I don't like "most" modern "performances" because the music industry wants the females to sound soooo "sexy" and, to me, the results are soooo "sickening".

could also be connected to what you've been taught is right and wrong ,not just the Pitch of a sound it could be you have inherited A condition which could also happen to neuro typical people if they have certain forms of brain damage .
for instance neuro typical alcoholics probably dislike high-pitched sounds as they've damaged their hearing, it could be the same for cancer sufferers disliking certain odours.

could also be connected to what you've been taught is right and wrong ,not just the Pitch of a sound it could be you have inherited A condition which could also happen to neuro typical people if they have certain forms of brain damage .
for instance neuro typical alcoholics probably dislike high-pitched sounds as they've damaged their hearing, it could be the same for cancer sufferers disliking certain odours.
interesting concept. Like during pregnancy - certain smells, tastes or sights or songs can literally make you throw up. :) But all my family likes female singers so it's not a right or wrong thing, even as a child I didn't care for female voices. When my dad would be watching variety shows and a female singer would come on, I'd try to cover my ears in a way it wouldn't be obvious.
Oh, but I did like Sonny and Cher - but Cher's voice is lower than Sonny's was.

As far female singers - I don't like "most" modern "performances" because the music industry wants the females to sound soooo "sexy" and, to me, the results are soooo "sickening".
Today - looks are more important than the sound. Where's the true talent any more?

I have a similar aversion to high pitched female voices. They are like nails on a blackboard to me. I've mentioned here before that "baby talk" sends me running to the hills.
There are some female singers I love but they tend to be ones with deeper voices such as Adele, Annie Lennox or Amy Winehouse (or is it female singers with names that start with an 'A' ?)

I agree Pats, how a singer looks is more important than how well they sing these days.
I prefer men’s voices on audio books. Women’s voices can sound too high and somehow they speak too fast? I don’t know what it is. Men’s voices are more relaxing...unless they are yelling at me!

I agree Pats, how a singer looks is more important than how well they sing these days.
I prefer men’s voices on audio books. Women’s voices can sound too high and somehow they speak too fast? I don’t know what it is. Men’s voices are more relaxing...unless they are yelling at me!
Yes, their voices can be very relaxing or intimidating.

It just sounds like a personal preference. You can analyze it if you want, or you can just say, "That's my own preference."

"There's no accounting for taste" also means "there's no need to account for taste."

We just finished watching the SyFy channel series "Nightflyers" based on a story by George R.R.Martin and really enjoyed it. There's a character called Roy Eris played by an actor called David Ajala and my god does he have a beautiful voice.
I don't have a gay bone in my body but by crikey, that guy's voice is soooo sexy. I could listen to him for hours.
I think Rex is right though - it's just preference but amplified by autistic heightened sensitivity. It could also be related to frequency - I don't know enough about it to make the leap to either side.

Last edited:
I prefer photos without people in them, too. I remember going on a school trip and taking loads of photos of buildings and other things that interested me, but no pictures of classmates and especially not of people posing in the photos. I know some people who literally can't take a photo without either themselves or some other person being in it and posing in front of the building or monument, but never do this. I'm not a huge fan of taking pictures anyway, and only ever do so if I find something truly unique and interesting. And selfies - don't get my started on those. It's just boring. I don't need photos to remember things, and don't get all emotional over photos the way some people do.

I don't like R&B/soul and can't stand wailing voices, females or otherwise. Can't stand Whitney Houston or Tina Turner, it's torture to my ears! They have this kind of music in the supermarket, and I wear earplugs everytime I need to go there.

I have a similar aversion to high pitched female voices. They are like nails on a blackboard to me. I've mentioned here before that "baby talk" sends me running to the hills.
There are some female singers I love but they tend to be ones with deeper voices such as Adele, Annie Lennox or Amy Winehouse (or is it female singers with names that start with an 'A' ?)

Soup Nazi: "No Stacey Q" songs for you!" :p

Whoa! I always thought I was just being weird for not liking female vocalists. There's very few I tolerate, but generally always listen to male vocals in music.
When I was younger I had a radio alarm clock set to a particular station... If there was a female presenter I'd get so aggravated and switch it off. Maybe it is the pitch and the undulation that women have. I'm not sure. They're too shrill somehow. Especially first thing in the morning >.<

I pretty much stopped caring about Pop music after about 1988 apart from a brief period in the mid to late 90's of being a Spice girls fan (mainly cos I fancied the Posh one)

Soup Nazi: "No Stacey Q" songs for you!" :p

Who?

I do have a particular problem with the modern idea of what a female soul or R&B singer is supposed to be. That ullulating up & down sound that makes vocoders sound natural does ma heed in! A good singer can hold a note, not show off by going up and down the entire scale every change of pitch!
I'd rather listen to the Martians from Jeff Wayne's "War of The Worlds"

Go to Youtube and type: Stacey Q Two of Hearts :p

Better still, type in: Melanie Brand New Key :D
Oh, I know that song. lol Kind of reminds me of Tiny Tim's tiptoe through the tulips. Maybe it is the higher pitch. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom