• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

One Episode Turned to Obsession (Or Passion)

NateSean

I had trouble labeling this thread, because it's less about the shows we watch and more about the thing that drives us to binge watch an entire series and I hope this promotes some interesting discussion.

My boyfriend convinced me to watch one episode of Downton Abbey last year. Like with any show that's been around for a while, he started telling me all of the characters names and their backstories during the flow of the episode. Because of this, I knew things about the series when Season 5 started (for those of us in the States anyway) and by the end of season 5 I was hooked.

Not long after, a friend lent us seasons one and two. I went through both series and soon I was forming opinions and doing the thing that really tests whether or not someone loves me as much as they say they do: I found every possible opportunity to talk about Downton Abbey.

I'd love to tell you that my boyfriend has learned a valuable lesson about getting me hooked on a new show, but now he keeps trying to get me to watch Mr. Selfridge and Miss Fisher Murders among other things.

For me, I'd say the real obsession comes from a long held love of complicated stories with a cast of interesting characters. Star Trek and Babylon 5 was this for me in high school and I have long since learned to get a reign on my urge to talk someone's ear off about these shows and all of the intricate plot lines. Thank god I didn't get hooked on Doctor Who until my late 20's or I'd have been quarantined before graduating from high school.

Which is why I do not even get started, because it gets to the point of depression if I miss an episode or forsaking everything to just watch the next one!!!

My aspie friend tried to get me interested in a program but I would not be persuaded. I have enough things I get obsessed with lol to want to add yet another to the pile, that actually, makes me feel horrible.

I got obsessed once again, with Anne of Greengables but the program; have all the books and actually wasted a lot of money on ebay, just to get the one video that I could not get to see for free online. I soon bitterly regretted it but amazingly, the seller was great and reimbursed me. I intend to not do something like that again!

I totally get you natesean. I love the stargate series and done a "marathon" of all the episodes of all the series of the original ones, stargate Atlantis and universe. I think i worked it out that all together I have spent two weeks of my life dedicated to watching every single episode.

I have pondered similar thoughts. I find that when a good show is over, like a book, I feel as though I have lost friends. I think sometimes that I form some unrequited bond with the cast or storyline. The comfort of familiarity with the people and places of a show becomes a tangible thing to me.

Shows that mirror events in or from my life are also binge worthy like; Californication, Sopranos, Cheers, trailer park boys, orange is the new black, my name is Earl, and more

Other shows I have binged on this year or recently; east bound and down, Fraiser, start trek TNG, house of cards, Hatfields and McCoys, longmire, futurama, family guy, blacklist.

I don't usually get to converse on these shows with other people though.

Great thread :)

I totally get you natesean. I love the stargate series and done a "marathon" of all the episodes of all the series of the original ones, stargate Atlantis and universe. I think i worked it out that all together I have spent two weeks of my life dedicated to watching every single episode.

As a Stargate SG-1 fan I fully applaud your dedication. :)

I know the feeling with that I'm currently bingeing out on Arrow season 3 on Amazon Prime as I can't wait till sept for the DVD I started watching Arrow as my obsession is Graphic Novels (mainly Batman) and I'm a keen Archer. I now find I can't stop at one episode of this or my last binge SAMCRO watched back to back to back lol
I find if I identify with a character or series then I have to watch it all

New Threads

Top Bottom