• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oh so very hard to do, but I am beginning to see that it may be worth it.

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Ok, I initally went to see a psychiatrist to get a formal diagnosis of social phobia ( no point with aspergers and even more so, being a female).

In truth, I never imagined that the therapist would be wanting to see me on a regular basis. I got my diagnosis and ptsd too on the first visit, but it felt like punching in the air, because he says that if I do not have any goals, then what is the point of seeing him? So, today, I told him that I struggle mentally so much, that thinking of goals is far from my thoughts and it seemed to make him ponder. I have not been saying I want to keep seeing him; he keeps making the appointments and I feel so sure it is because he sees that he, out of everyone can get me to be "normal".

So, this time, I decided that I would type him a letter about my history and also giving a response to what he had suggested and then, thanks to google translate, he was able to read it on my tablet in French.

He asked me one: if you could change anything today, what would it be? In truth, the idea of suddenly being able to walk out of that office on my own ( not that I needed to), was just so hard to contimplate, I could not even go there; so instead I said: not to be anxious. He then said that he knows I hate medicine, but he honestly feels that it would benefit me, because the less anxious I feel, the clearer I can think and at first, I balked with the idea but then he asked: so, if there was one percent chance of you getting help, you would not take it, in case there are side effects? I just said ( because I am allowed to think) it depends on the side effects.

So, in the end, he persuaded me to try a couple of anti anxiety tablets and told me that any positive change will be in 3 weeks. I have now given a promise that I will just take them and not look up the side effects etc.

It is the pits to go in ok and then, a cascade of tears flowing in front of two men; albeit one being my husband. I can barely look at the therapist and I guess it is because he is challenging my sense of self awareness. I am too mentally exhausted to fight social phobia again.

He believes that it can be turned around. I know it cannot be turned around.

I think it's fair to say there's one basic positive aspect of being treated for social anxiety through the most conventional methods. To find a medication that just might work to alleviate whatever lingering symptoms you might have relative to such anxieties. You are taking a positive step in this regard.

I got such help long ago, and it at least allowed me to get my life back on track with a better level of comfort in having to interact with others.

Hopefully you too will find something in this process to improve the quality of your life as well. :)

Ok, I initally went to see a psychiatrist to get a formal diagnosis of social phobia ( no point with aspergers and even more so, being a female).

In truth, I never imagined that the therapist would be wanting to see me on a regular basis. I got my diagnosis and ptsd too on the first visit, but it felt like punching in the air, because he says that if I do not have any goals, then what is the point of seeing him? So, today, I told him that I struggle mentally so much, that thinking of goals is far from my thoughts and it seemed to make him ponder. I have not been saying I want to keep seeing him; he keeps making the appointments and I feel so sure it is because he sees that he, out of everyone can get me to be "normal".

So, this time, I decided that I would type him a letter about my history and also giving a response to what he had suggested and then, thanks to google translate, he was able to read it on my tablet in French.

He asked me one: if you could change anything today, what would it be? In truth, the idea of suddenly being able to walk out of that office on my own ( not that I needed to), was just so hard to contimplate, I could not even go there; so instead I said: not to be anxious. He then said that he knows I hate medicine, but he honestly feels that it would benefit me, because the less anxious I feel, the clearer I can think and at first, I balked with the idea but then he asked: so, if there was one percent chance of you getting help, you would not take it, in case there are side effects? I just said ( because I am allowed to think) it depends on the side effects.

So, in the end, he persuaded me to try a couple of anti anxiety tablets and told me that any positive change will be in 3 weeks. I have now given a promise that I will just take them and not look up the side effects etc.

It is the pits to go in ok and then, a cascade of tears flowing in front of two men; albeit one being my husband. I can barely look at the therapist and I guess it is because he is challenging my sense of self awareness. I am too mentally exhausted to fight social phobia again.

He believes that it can be turned around. I know it cannot be turned around.
Hi, I was put on anti depressants for anxiety and the have helped so much. Social anx wasn't my main problem but I certainly had it and these tablets have improved my quality of life so so much

Hi, I was put on anti depressants for anxiety and the have helped so much. Social anx wasn't my main problem but I certainly had it and these tablets have improved my quality of life so so much

What medicine?

I was on prozac for years for a supposed depression; in fact it was social depression. All that did was cause a heck of a lot of weight gain; severe headaches and lol depression and so, not too chuffed at having to take these, even though they are not prozac.

What medicine?

I was on prozac for years for a supposed depression; in fact it was social depression. All that did was cause a heck of a lot of weight gain; severe headaches and lol depression and so, not too chuffed at having to take these, even though they are not prozac.

That's always the most difficult aspect of medication. The part where you must try a battery of drugs to see which one is of the most benefit to you relative to your symptoms and condition.

Where what works best for one person may not for another.

What medicine?

Citalopram..... Also can be called celexa. I will be on them for life and I'm 100% OK with that because they have improved my life so much, I really would recommend for anyone to persevere with any side effects (pm me about side effects if you wish) but there is definitely hope

A lot of anti-anxiety drugs actually act as depressants so please monitor your state of mind. If the drugs make you feel worse, then report that to your doctor. Not everyone thrives on those drugs. On the other hand, the drugs may be a good thing for you; everyone is different in how they react to them.

Best of luck, Suzanne, and hang in there!

I’m pleased to read you will give the meds a fair trial.

Nothing this meaningful will ever be easy.
There is no switch to flip or button to press to have any symptoms disappear completely.
They become easier to manage the more you own and work on them over time.

As always, well done you :)
and I genuinely wish you well along your journey.

Good luck. And yes be careful taking medication. While they should work you can never be to sure so monitor any feelings you may have while on them if it affects you negatively.

New Threads

Top Bottom