• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd question

Mr. Cat

Has anyone else been told they drink "wrong"? I suck when I drink, which is apparently not what the majority of people do. It's not a big deal, but I get huge grape juice mustaches a lot because of it and go out into public like that without realizing it. Sometimes it makes a puckering noise when I draw the glass away from my mouth and I don't like it because it draws attention to me, and that's when people tell me I'm doing it wrong.

My question is: How does one drink the correct way?

Do any of you also have this problem? I have an aspie friend who does the same thing and we find it amusing in each other's company. It drives me insane when I do it around NTs.

How can the way someone drinks be 'wrong'? Odd maybe or different. But not wrong. If its too noisy, it might be considered impolite, but it happens to most people occasionally.

For noise, it might be a timing issue. See if you can stop sucking and close your lips at the same time, then lower the cup. ie, hold the cup to your lips a moment longer. Don't know if that helps?
Mustaches can be formed if you tip it up too far, but then you are less likely to get noise.
Or you could open your lips more, and tip more to pour it in. Just don't put your head back so far it looks odd.
I tend to suck the top of full hot drinks to control temperature. The lower and cooler the drink, I do more pouring.

Last edited:
To avoid the moustaches, don't hold the glass at such a steep angle. Only hold it steep enough for it to reach your mouth and not any more. You get moustaches from the drink having contact with your face.

Has anyone else been told they drink "wrong"? I suck when I drink, which is apparently not what the majority of people do. It's not a big deal, but I get huge grape juice mustaches a lot because of it and go out into public like that without realizing it. Sometimes it makes a puckering noise when I draw the glass away from my mouth and I don't like it because it draws attention to me, and that's when people tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Do any of you also have this problem? I have an aspie friend who does the same thing and we find it amusing in each other's company. It drives me insane when I do it around NTs.
I do this too and I just plumb don't care anymore. I'll use a straw when I feel like it otherwise I won't. I'm sick of having to fit into a hostile world.

Don't tilt the glass so far, just until the liquid touches your upper lip, then part your lips slightly and allow the liquid to run into your mouth, close your lips before removing the glass and, tilt the glass back upright to prevent dribbling down your chin.

Yes, no mustache
six%2BSunnah%2Bto%2Bdrink%2BWater.jpg

No, you get a mustache this way
Cup-or-Bottle.jpg

And that also illustrates why you shouldn't give yourself a mustache from a beverage in most situations, it's seen as immature, childish or, rushed drinking. Well so my etiquette instructor told me.

I used to make the same mistake, totally submerge my upper lip then draw the liquid into my mouth, almost like using a straw but, that gives you a mustache and, if you catch air, makes a slurping sound as well. Not coll if you're trying to appear polite, mature, classy.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal but, in some situations it is to some people. You wouldn't want a wine mustache at a banquet or wedding reception, for example.

I am able to drink from two beer bottles at the same time and never spill a drop,a skill my momma wasn't nearly as proud of as I was :D

I'm afraid about all I can contribute is what the Maharishi once said.

"Never drink champagne out of a paper cup." :p

I'm afraid about all I can contribute is what the Maharishi once said.

"Never drink champagne out of a paper cup." :p
From prior personal experience,I for one can tell you that a fine tuxedo can double as a life preserver in a swimming environment :D

Though I hope you removed your shoes. ;)
Yepperz...the first thing that ran thru my mind was exactly how heavy is this thing going to get until I popped up out of the water. My buddy honored me with best man duties at his Florida wedding and the original plan was to insure them so we could walk into the ocean immediately after the ceremony,but got shut down by his new bride. Somewhere in my vast collection of images,I have a pic that someone captured of the pair of us with our arms outstretched the last instant before our feet hit the drink. The reception was held at our hotel outdoor glass hall area near the pool and there was no stoppin' us. While the rest of the wedding was held in formal attire,we got to lose our monkey suits and wear shorts and Ts :D

I would recommend that you tell others that if they don't like the way you drink,then they shouldn't drink that way...

Eating habits are hard to break. I know I have some and am anxious at meals with company because of it, and eat artificially/carefully.

Like I said, it's not that big of a deal, it just annoys me that it draws more attention to me. I don't like attention much, or juice mustaches when I'm trying to be serious, haha. Thanks for the suggestions!

I just tried to drink without sucking and it was so much colder and the flow was so heavy! That would take some time to get used to for me. Now I understand how some people can chug things so fast. I'd choke and make a mess if I tried

Small slips is how I think most handle it. Something I do when eating out is go places with separate booths for privacy. I really don't like eating in open spaces with a lot of people around.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I tend to eat very fast so I can leave the room as quickly as possible. I don't like seeing and hearing other people eat either.

I do the same but my actual moustache absorbs the liquid so it helps me to hydrate later on if I then lick my moustache a few hours later. Like a camel but on a smaller scale.

New Threads

Top Bottom