• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions Outlet

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Hey guys :)

I thought I'd try this out to see if it helps. Here's a place for venting our obsessions.

For some of us, our obsessions can be all consuming, and there's nothing we want to talk about more. Sometimes people are willing to hear us out, but sometimes we're left having to deal with bottling it up. Sometimes even those who are at first willing to hear us out, have been worn thin, as we're simply much more obsessed than they are able to handle (I know I've been guilty of his before).

If you have something that's keeping your preoccupied until those early hours of morning, and you so desperately need to get someing off your chest, here's the place to share it. Feel free to write as much as you'd like, and as often as you'd like. You can even add pictures, videos, music, whatever aids in getting your obsessions out there.

I vent my one real obsession here all the time. Coming to grips with my own autism.

Without this place, yeah...it would be bottled up like a genie in a bottle. It's on my mind all the time.

Otherwise it's just our risk-on, risk-off economy which makes me want to break out into hives...but I have no control over global economics or conflicts.

I vent my one real obsession here all the time. Coming to grips with my own autism.

Without this place, yeah...it would be bottled up like a genie in a bottle. It's on my mind all the time.

Otherwise it's just our risk-on, risk-off economy which makes me want to break out into hives...but I have no control over global economics or conflicts.

I know what you mean. I'm just glad I do have this place to vent my obsessions with AS, because those I see regularly (mostly friends and family) have definitely lost interest. I don't hold it against them, I know I can be a bit intense about it, which is why this place is a great outlet for me.

The problem becomes when you have obsessions that aren't shared by others at all, or are so obscure, that most people don't know anything about the topic you're interested in.

I know what you mean. I'm just glad I do have this place to vent my obsessions with AS, because those I see regularly (mostly friends and family) have definitely lost interest. I don't hold it against them, I know I can be a bit intense about it, which is why this place is a great outlet for me.

The problem becomes when you have obsessions that aren't shared by others at all, or are so obscure, that most people don't know anything about the topic you're interested in.

Sounds familiar. The one person I told in my orbit really doesn't want to hear about it at all.

Sounds familiar. The one person I told in my orbit really doesn't want to hear about it at all.
Yeah, there's one person who I used to talk about it with often, but he also has an obsession with advanced mathematics (which I have nothing against, but simply can't understand, as my math skills are poor), so I guess we can tire each other out, haha :p

Yeah, there's one person who I used to talk about it with often, but he also has an obsession with advanced mathematics (which I have nothing against, but simply can't understand, as my math skills are poor), so I guess we can tire each other out, haha :p

Well, not understanding mathematics is at least kinder than telling them it's simply a "forbidden" subject. My brother and my cousin never want to hear me discuss finance in any way, shape or form. :(

I oblige them, but inside it hurts my feelings that I'm not allowed to discuss much of anything that I'm passionate about.

Well, not understanding mathematics is at least kinder than telling them it's simply a "forbidden" subject. My brother and my cousin never want to hear me discuss finance in any way, shape or form. :(

I oblige them, but inside it hurts my feelings that I'm not allowed to discuss much of anything that I'm passionate about.

Ah, yeah, that sucks. Well, I figured, the good thing about this thread is that on the off chance an obsession someone posts interests someone else, it can help everyone out. Kinda like a dating site, but more of an obsessions site, haha. Find your match today :p

You know what's even "worse" in that. If you have obsessions and interests because of a specific angle you look at it. If you combine that with already obscure interests it becomes an almost solo effort.

Oh, and let's not forget some obsessions are regionally limited. There's one of these tabletop wargames I play, and in my entire province (which is about 830 square miles; 2150 square kilometres) there are like.. 5 people in total who play this game (and my friend and I, we're the only ones in my area). Nationally, there are about.. 200 people playing it (an estimate by going on forums and such). Yet, the company who makes said game does good business since the game is more popular in the UK and US, but not so much continental europe.

The fact that talking about certain hobbies/obsessions/interests might not cut it But also includes getting together for real and spending time with people for said game, doesn't make it easier.

It's times like that where I wonder why I can't be obsessed about soccer, lol

Ah, yeah, that sucks. Well, I figured, the good thing about this thread is that on the off chance an obsession someone posts interests someone else, it can help everyone out. Kinda like a dating site, but more of an obsessions site, haha. Find your match today :p

Well, I'll always have building and optimizing computers, plastic modelling and photography. But I call them hobbies- not obsessions. Web design was an obsession for a long time for me...which I turned into a job for a while.

These days I'm afraid my depression mitigates my enthusiasm enough to define a hobby but not an obsession. When I'm not so depressed I can be somewhat creative.

Well, I'll always have building and optimizing computers, plastic modelling and photography. But I call them hobbies- not obsessions. Web design was an obsession for a long time for me...which I turned into a job for a while.

These days I'm afraid my depression mitigates my enthusiasm enough to define a hobby but not an obsession. When I'm not so depressed I can be somewhat creative.

Aw... *hugs* Judge :)

I've just posted a couple of jpegs of my latest obsession. I am building a custom bass guitar in an unusual shape :)

full

Hoping that you don't run into some ugly copyright issues with EMI over your design.

Love the idea, but it is just a tad familiar. I used to underwrite commercial liability over such issues...

Last edited:
I'm not looking to sell or profit by it so no issue is expected.

Hopefully so. I've just professionally found two entities to be unreasonably litigious over the years. Disney and the recording industry in general. At least you're not on our side of the pond. That helps too.

I'm an aspiring Author/Storymaker, the only problem is the stories i come up with are always stuck in my mind, meaning that i won't write them down on paper no matter how much time passes (Heck, my parents complained that i SHOULD write my stories down a bit :)). Fact is, i prefer to actually TELL the stories i have to the people i care and are willing to listen, another problem is that out of all the people i know, no one actually has the same interests i have. Meaning that, even though i'm in the mood for storytelling, there is no one that could follow it good because all my stories are part of a pre-set universe of the shows i watch (To clarify, i have a story for the MLP universe and a follow-up story for the Eureka Seven universe that takes place after the original series and between AO aswell). The only one i manage to tell something about one of the two (The MLP one) is stanmgk. So i hope some of you know of the Eureka Seven anime so i can talk about the follow-up story aswell :)

Sorry for the english at times, i'm Italian :)

Last edited:
Wow, that is too cool!!! The "kids" on here probably wouldn't appreciate the reference, but I do. Our locksmith at work builds guitars. If you don't mind, I'd like to share this one with him. I know he'd like it.:)

Please feel free to do so ;)

If you like timey-wimey stuff then you'd love talking to me!

If you got the reference then "who" are you?

Cool to see another bass builder. I made this one in 1995. Built it totally from scratch, over the whole summer on my dad's garage floor, using jigs I had to make too. It turned out very well. Cherry body, maple neck rubbed with linseed oil, ebony fingerboard, neck fastened by 5 lag bolts in counterbores. I made the bridge and truss rod in machine shop class in college. I don't have the facilities to do this now so I really treasure this one. I always told myself if my house was on fire and I could only take one thing, this would be it.
GreenBass1-2.jpg

Cool to see another bass builder. I made this one in 1995. Built it totally from scratch, over the whole summer on my dad's garage floor, using jigs I had to make too. It turned out very well. Cherry body, maple neck rubbed with linseed oil, ebony fingerboard, neck fastened by 5 lag bolts in counterbores. I made the bridge and truss rod in machine shop class in college. I don't have the facilities to do this now so I really treasure this one. I always told myself if my house was on fire and I could only take one thing, this would be it.
View attachment 8458
That, tlc is a beautiful thing.

Speaking about guitars. Someone got me really obsessed with this game back in high school. I found this little box I made years ago. Thought I'd share!

1396033168206-jpg.8462

Attachments

• 1396033168206.jpg
    1396033168206.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom