• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions and interests you can't afford

Actually I was able to make travel a reality for me when my mom pass away in 1996. For about 3 years. I traveled all over the country and in some other places in the world. I mostly went to nerdy base events during my travels since I was trying to find out who I was as a person and of course, in the end, that never happened.

But here are some things to be aware of then traveling alone. What would happen to you if you got injured or arrested? What would you do if you found yourself in the hospital or jail? I don't mean to cause fear mongering here, but if you're traveling alone, you really need to ask yourself these questions. Who gonna bail you out of jail? Who gonna be there for you when you need to recover from a hospital stay? Just something to think about when traveling alone.

It's not nearly as bad as all that as long as one is simply careful.

I travel all the time. And it is indeed on a whim... there's nothing stopping me. Often this involves a convention of some sort, but the location can be anywhere. I generally drive to them regardless of distance because screw airports. And yes, I do this alone. I think it's been a bit over a decade now.

It was a bit scary the first couple of times, but you quickly get used to it. And avoiding trouble really is just common sense... it doesnt take real effort unless you're being bloody stupid. The solution, thusly, is to not be bloody stupid.

Advice for anyone wanting to do it:

Understand the area that you're going to BEFORE you're going there. Map it out, locate all useful things nearby your destination. Learn what the area is like. DO NOT go to places that qualify as "dangerous". No, I dont care how fascinating they are, just dont do it. Once you've done these things, learn about the route you have to take. If driving, what is along that route? What major areas does it pass through? Are those areas in some way dangerous? Change your route if they are, even if it adds a couple of hours to the trip. And make sure you're staying in a non-terrible hotel once you've reached your destination. The problems that can befall you arent all about physical danger. Sometimes, things just get derpy. Be prepared for rather silly problems to crop up, and know how to deal with them. A bad hotel increases the chances of such a problem. If you are flying, make sure you know what sorts of procedures to take, if something goes wrong (such as weather interference) and the plane is forced to land you somewhere you didnt intend to go. You may require a hotel stay for a night or two, even, if that happens. Getting back on the right flight route is sometimes problematic. Prepare for the possibility of luggage getting lost or damaged, too. Make sure you have additional ID as well, regardless of travel method.

Oh, and one other thing: drive yourself there, if travelling by ground. Doing things like taking a bus or train can produce rather unique problems that have very difficult solutions. My first trip out by myself was by bus, and yeah... there were issues. Such as the bus stop being pretty much on the other side of what is fortunately a pretty small town/city/something, because I had to WALK with all of my luggage to reach that hotel. It was my first time, I hadnt planned for any of that. You learn hard lessons sometimes. The bus trip had other issues too. If you're prone to sensory issues or meltdowns for any reason, consider public transport to be absolutely off limits for long trips. Once you're on that thing, you are ON it. They dont stop simply because you're experiencing sensory panic. Whereas with a car that you're driving, you can stop whenever the heck you want.

I could rant about this for quite some time. I've been doing this for a long time now. And again, it's frequent. If I find an event I want to go to, I set it up and go to it. I dont have restrictions on that. So, ALOT of experience.

Overseas travel. I have been once overseas in 2013 when I went to Japan but I would like to go to America to visit Disneyland and some of the comic cons,I would also like to visit places like Greece,The Uk and Canada but at the moment it’s definitely not happening for awhile.

Interesting advice though the danger and chaotic unpredictability is what appeals to like finding a new area and getting lost in it for a bit luckily I have an excellent intuition based instinct for getting back to where I need to be

Interesting advice though the danger and chaotic unpredictability is what appeals to like finding a new area and getting lost in it for a bit luckily I have an excellent intuition based instinct for getting back to where I need to be

Aye, I actually agree with this to a degree. It really depends on the knowledge/expertise/experience of the individual.

Like, I explore alot whenever possible, and will find new routes to places by looking down some random road, going "I wonder where that goes?" and then driving down it. And a distance down that road, I might see another turn, and think "Okay, how about THAT one?" 15 turns later and who knows where I'll be. Considering that I"m usually in very rural areas, street signs and such cant be relied on. But I've done this sort of thing so often that I do not get lost. I'll always find my way back. I do have my phone ready at all times just in case though. Also though this works for me partly because it's a rural area. You wouldnt catch me doing that in an urban area. Heck, you wouldnt catch me in an urban area at all to begin with! Just nope, nope nope...

Generally I think this all comes from all the forests and such that I've walked through, where I'll wander down a path, then see something interesting, then wander towards that, and so on and so on... you get used to dealing with things like landmarks, even if those landmarks are subtle.

For anyone not used to doing things like that though.... well, if you're going to explore, start small in your own nearby area.

Second, if I got the nightclub style home theater speakers with the deep bass subwoofer, I would be evicted from my apartment pretty damn quickly.

So get a scaled down home theater system.

One like Sony offers, where it likely includes Dynamic Range Compression (DRC). A feature that allows you attenuate the subwoofer either mildly, or more. Also includes what is known as "Night Mode" which basically turns off the subwoofer altogether, leaving the left, right, center and two rear channels to provide sound.

I'm an apartment dweller as well. I don't have my audio system on all the time, but when I do I keep the DRC on "max", and have the bass setting lowered a little below neutral. No one has complained over the years...though yeah I do have a neighbor who doesn't seem to understand how much their un-attenuated subwoofer can carry into another apartment unit.

I'd like a physical copy of the DSM-5 so i can do some reading on psychiatric disorders (my special interest) but that stuff is expensive lol.

I can play many instruments and sing, but I can’t manage to do both at the same time, so alas. But I would like to buy recording equipment (another thing I can’t afford) so I can record those parts separately and mix them together. My boyfriend is good at creating electronic music and we’re still planning to collaborate on a track at some point, but we both have so many interests all over the place, so it hasn’t happened yet.

Your missing percussion! I was/am a percussionist.

It might seem thrilling to go somewhere dangerous when you get there feeling trapped is not thrilling wondering if somebody is going to shoot you is not adventurous or if you are going to be imprisoned for the rest of your life say in Singapore

I’m currently obsessed with an adorable Norwegian Forest Cat that’s up for adoption at a cattery near me, but I could never pay the adoption fee :(

I'd like a physical copy of the DSM-5 so i can do some reading on psychiatric disorders (my special interest) but that stuff is expensive lol.

Have you considered visiting a library if you have access to one and feel comfortable doing so? I once went to a library that wouldn't allow it to be checked out (in the bring-home sense) but you could use it as a reference while you were there. My reaction was "Holy crap, there's too much stuff in here. I'm not reading this." :fearscream:

I'm currently only working part-time so I can't afford it. I want to pay my credit cards off so trying to stay away from ebay. My last big tamagotchi purchase was my Devilgotchi. I wanted one for years. I ended up selling one of my rare tamagotchi and a few virtual pets to pay for it.

Have you considered visiting a library if you have access to one and feel comfortable doing so? I once went to a library that wouldn't allow it to be checked out (in the bring-home sense) but you could use it as a reference while you were there. My reaction was "Holy crap, there's too much stuff in here. I'm not reading this." :fearscream:
UPDATE: I found the DSM-5 at my local libary but for some reason they won't let you check it out so me and my dad went to a bookstore later that only carried the DSM-IV for a relatively cheap price.

We bought it anyways despite the fact I was reluctant about buying it. Dad insisted on getting the DSM-IV and said he would buy me the current edition on Amazon.

A meme I made about my predicament:
ZomboMeme 25012020184132~2.jpg

UPDATE: I found the DSM-5 at my local libary but for some reason they won't let you check it out so me and my dad went to a bookstore later that only carried the DSM-IV for a relatively cheap price.

We bought it anyways despite the fact I was reluctant about buying it. Dad insisted on getting the DSM-IV and said he would buy me the current edition on Amazon.
have you ever found what has changed in the DSM 4, the American psychiatric association might have done a press release of the changes affecting American citizens for instance in the UK the medicines that are now considered relevant for certain mental illnesses might be prescribed by the NHS but might be prescribed by psychiatrist in the USA.

My collecting and interests are why I'm virtually broke by the middle of the month. Today I had barely enough money to pay for the $97 worth of weekly groceries, and I still didn't get the laundry detergent and recycling bags I need. And I actually had extra money this month! Every month it's the same thing, I tell myself I'm going to make my money last but it never happens.:weary:

It's a good thing I don't use credit, those things are nothing but trouble.

With my new job I can get anything I would love to get but hard to travel to a con knowing how much money you spent on merch you want

Getting involved with Internet of Things, automating my home... but I don't have money nor time (job and executive dysfunction) to do that.

New Threads

Top Bottom