• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Notre Dame Cathedral On Fire

I was interested to learn that the collasped spire was a relatively recent construction designed in part by Viollet-le-Duc in mid 1800's (a name/restorer you run into quickly if studying medieval castles/buildings). He did not restore the original (which I haven't been able to find a picture of yet) but designed something new in lead covered wood. They appear to once again be asking for a new design, and it will be interesting to see what is proposed/chosen.

I stumbled accross this in a story about the cathedral on Wiki:

"A decade-long renovation program began in 1991 and replaced much of the exterior, with care given to retain the authentic architectural elements of the cathedral, including rigorous inspection of new limestone blocks. A discreet system of electrical wires, not visible from below, was also installed on the roof to deter pigeons."

The restoration work that was in progress at the time of the fire is the most likely cause but other factors might have contributed such as example above.

I wish people would leave the poor pigeons alone.

A discreet system of electrical wires, not visible from below, was also installed on the roof to deter pigeons."

Imagine those live wires, exposed to a roof composed of an entirely very old, and highly combustible wooden framework. The exposure to pigeons wouldn't be nearly such a concern as would be workmen and all the materials they use and discard in the course of construction and scaffolding that could possibly come into contact with those live wires. <FACEPALM>

Let's hope all those trusses are replaced with something of a more fireproof material such as aluminum, if the structure can stand the load.

Last edited:
I'm gonna just say it. Over the past year, there have been countless arson fires at great, old churches across France. Sometimes as many as one a week.

I personally think it was terrorism.

New Threads

Top Bottom