• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Notre Dame Cathedral On Fire

If there's any good news out of this, I've heard that they saved a lot of relics, the cross at the main altar is still standing (and lit up!), and the main structure of the church has been saved.

This is so sad.
It seemed unbelievable to see it on TV.
Last report I heard the stone structures were pretty much intact and many of the holy relics saved.
The world has lost a great part of it's history today.
But, not totally so it will be hopefully preserved forever what is left for future generations.

sgvIDUu.jpg

The inside of the Cathedral after the blaze; looks like everything's relatively intact still

It's Easter week and a tragic loss to France and the world. Pundits are suggesting stupid stuff like it is God's will to destroy an iconic Catholic cathedral as retribution for the Church's deplorable track record for priest sexual abuse of children. The fruitcakes and paranoids are coming out of the woodwork "explaining" why this happened.

I suspect the cause will be determined to arise from the renovations. Oily rags used on the woodwork can spontaneously combust.

Frankly it appears encouraging in terms of what was not lost. Though the eventual cost to restore the cathedral could be horrendous. I saw that some $600 million + has already been raised to initiate the restoration. And perhaps most importantly, the external structure has been declared sound.

Interesting to learn that the oak spire that burned and collapsed was only around 150 years old.

Despite being a tragedy, it seems amazing that this fire didn't cause more damage. Leaving us to ponder how much it may cost, and how long it will take to restore this magnificent and historical structure.

It's Easter week and a tragic loss to France and the world. Pundits are suggesting stupid stuff like it is God's will to destroy an iconic Catholic cathedral as retribution for the Church's deplorable track record for priest sexual abuse of children. The fruitcakes and paranoids are coming out of the woodwork "explaining" why this happened.

I suspect the cause will be determined to arise from the renovations. Oily rags used on the woodwork can spontaneously combust.

I think you're right. This appears to have started on the roof, which was encased in scaffolding. I suspect that a spark from a power saw used to dismantle the 1850s roof could very well be the cause. Or it could be related to any number of chemicals used in the renovations.

President Macron made a speech. He said they will rebuild the cathedral within 5 years.

He said something to the effect that the French are a nation of builders. They build cities throughout history that became part of our life and heritage. This fire shown how fragile our heritage is, it is the responsibility of all of us to protect and pass it onto the next generations.

This resonated with me. I think this is true of all people, for all countries. All our museums, culture, our planet.

Nice to see that nearly a billion in US dollars has been raised for the reconstruction effort. Though as time goes on, there's no telling how complex this all may be, especially in lieu of lingering arguments over just how secure the overall stonework really is, and how it may impact other aspects of the cathedral.

This might just prove to be one of the greatest challenges for the best structural engineers on the planet. Sort of reminds me of how much work it was to successfully relocate the ancient Egyptian ruins of Abu Simbel to higher ground because of the construction of the Aswan Dam on the Nile River.

I'm just grateful that there are so many who are so acutely aware of the historical significance of this place, regardless of religious or cultural considerations.

Official: Part of Notre Dame Support to be Dismantled

Last edited:
Nice to see that nearly a billion in US dollars has been raised for the reconstruction effort. Though as time goes on, there's no telling how complex this all may be, especially in lieu of lingering arguments over just how secure the overall stonework really is, and how it may impact other aspects of the cathedral.

This might just prove to be one of the greatest challenges for the best structural engineers on the planet. Sort of reminds me of how much work it was to successfully relocate the ancient Egyptian ruins of Abu Simbel to higher ground because of the construction of the Aswan Dam on the Nile River.

I'm just grateful that there are so many who are so acutely aware of the historical significance of this place, regardless of religious or cultural considerations.

Official: Part of Notre Dame Support to be Dismantled

Very true - reminds me a bit of when the monument of William Wilberforce in my hometown had to be moved and the great kerfuffle it caused.
(Heck, two guys made a song about it in the 70s).

In any case, I hope the process isn't held up too much and the reconstruction goes to plan.

Interesting reading that Notre Dame was technically uninsured. Apparently all French religious landmarks built before 1905 belong exclusively to the state.

Which explains why President Macron and not Pope Francis was so quick to react in deciding that the cathedral would be rebuilt.

Notre Dame has no insurance policy

Imagine the groans heard had Lloyds of London quoted a premium for such an exposure! C'est la vie. :eek:

Last edited:
I think you're right. This appears to have started on the roof, which was encased in scaffolding. I suspect that a spark from a power saw used to dismantle the 1850s roof could very well be the cause. Or it could be related to any number of chemicals used in the renovations.

Maybe Father Brown's nemesis, Flambeau, torched it as a diversion while he stole priceless religious antiquities. :) (I'm a fan of Father Brown on BBC TV).

It is encouraging to see the world coming together to address the loss and rebuilding of the cathedral. The fire has also prompted increased donations to three African American churches recently burned down in Louisiana by a racist hater so those small churches can be rebuilt, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom