• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not Under Consideration for Full Time Teaching Job

Dillon

There’s some context to the title I wrote up at the top and that is hey I found out today after talking with the school admin I wouldn’t be considered for a full time teaching position even months down the line.
I am currently going for my early childhood through 6th grade (EC-6th) teaching certification and I only need to complete at least 15 hours of in class observation and to pass a state content exam and even with the potential credentials I still wouldn’t be considered for a teaching position even for student teaching which gives you a full experience of a teacher under the guidance of a mentor and it’s really helpful to fully finish the certificate. Apparently I was led on some spill where the school only chooses one candidate every two years as a student teacher while enrolled in a certification program which begs the question, why have a job posting for student teaching for the 2023-2024 school year if you aren’t going to consider anyone?
This was the main reason I am subbing so I can get my foot in the door to become a full time teacher but now that prospect has been shot in the foot. It makes no sense how every teacher for a week now has been talking highly of me but yet I’m not considered for a potential full time gig.

I am going to feel really bad for the kiddos I am currently teaching for as it will only be temporary and I won’t become a permanent teacher like they had really hoped. I feel the admin doesn’t care if they are breaking the kiddos hearts.
It’s leaving me disappointed as well since I’m going back to the literal drawing board in hope of actually landing a full time job…

Last edited:
Unfortunately, breaking people's hearts is a natural part of life and one of my least favorite parts. I wish you the best with that.

Landing a full time job on your first sub gig isn't very likely. At this point you should be concentrating on learning and practicing your skills. If you stay with it you will find perm work. Teachers are and likely will be in demand.

Teaching (K-12) is a field where experiences can vary greatly.

One district may need teachers in a certain subject enough that new teachers, after one year of subbing, get immediately converted to permanent.

In another district there might be an abundance of teachers and someone might be subbing for a decade without being offered a contract.

Some districts might have a demand for teachers, but be restricted in the number of FTE on contract, and compromise by giving full time substitute teachers a 0.2 or 0.4 FTE contract so that they could build up seniority, lessening the odds that the teacher may leave for another district.

And that's just talking about regular public schools. Throw in charters and private schools and you've got extra dimensions to things.

Just find another place to apply. Florida is desperate for teachers here . The general attitude of kids is extremely out of control. Just move to Sarasota or Bradenton. I would avoid Tamapa if possible. Hey pm me. I can tell you where to rent. Don't give up. Yes. I am for real. Helping out others on the spectrum is really cool after being at this forum.
I wish I could do that but I live all the way out in Texas and I don’t have the money to be moving to a new place. Heck I just paid rent and my bills and I only have $200 left in my account.

Last edited:
Sometimes when things seem like a scam, they really are.

The district I worked in never, ever hired subs for full time positions. But they would tell the subs that subbing would give them a "foot in the door" in order to hold on to them and string them along.

The reason for this secret policy is this: the district gets hundreds of applications from people who want a full time teaching job - they are a constantly renewed resource.

However, subbing is an unreliable income source requiring one to be constantly one call at the last moment, the pay is around minimum wage, and there zero benefits, like insurance. Nobody wants to do that for a living.

Therefore, subs are hard to find and retain. Full time applicants are common as rocks. String the subs along with intentionally false expectations while hiring from the ongoing stream of full time applicants.

The common wisdom (at least in my area) is: Never sub where you want to teach, unless you're the kind of person who likes shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm sorry - it is painful to learn how utterly crappy employers are willing to be, and how badly they will abuse hopeful and decent people.

I used to teach for 5 years, HS Math. There are people who get hired from being substitutes, but it depends on the district and if they like you or not. Sometimes it can be personal, and sometimes not, but things are always spoken of and said in mannerisms that are completely legal.
It is, sadly, a good rule to assume that you won't get hired by the place you sub for. Apply anyway, but apply to other school districts too. People are more likely to value you more if you are able to show that if they don't work with you that somebody else will sorta deal.
Math has always been a high demand field, but I was only able to get FT offerings at the worst schools basically because the better school districts already can hire more experienced teachers or people they like, or they can hire cheap substitutes because they know there is cheap labor where some will hope they can get a position. But they will never give them the higher position because they know that that person will keep working at their district for a long time at cheap rate. I didn't want long term sub positions and didn't have to take, so I went and "did the grunt work" as some might say or imply.

Only other thing you can do if you stay as a sub is improve your background- more certifications etc. can make you a more attractive candidate to hire. Of course, that's more money, time, energy, etc.
I'd recommend you do short term subbing across many schools if you're doing long term. Short term subbing is usually easier and you are a professional babysitter and don't usually need to prepare too much. Short term, you make less, but usually long term, you don't make that much more.

Although, with your tight budget, it might be hard for you to make this transition at the moment. How do you handle summers when you aren't working for a school?

You can get an inside look of each school and then also have more time for yourself to prepare for a real job, another side job, and/or school.

There’s some context to the title I wrote up at the top and that is hey I found out today after talking with the school admin I wouldn’t be considered for a full time teaching position even months down the line.
I am currently going for my early childhood through 6th grade (EC-6th) teaching certification and I only need to complete at least 15 hours of in class observation and to pass a state content exam and even with the potential credentials I still wouldn’t be considered for a teaching position even for student teaching which gives you a full experience of a teacher under the guidance of a mentor and it’s really helpful to fully finish the certificate. Apparently I was led on some spill where the school only chooses one candidate every two years as a student teacher while enrolled in a certification program which begs the question, why have a job posting for student teaching for the 2023-2024 school year if you aren’t going to consider anyone?
This was the main reason I am subbing so I can get my foot in the door to become a full time teacher but now that prospect has been shot in the foot. It makes no sense how every teacher for a week now has been talking highly of me but yet I’m not considered for a potential full time gig.

I am going to feel really bad for the kiddos I am currently teaching for as it will only be temporary and I won’t become a permanent teacher like they had really hoped. I feel the admin doesn’t care if they are breaking the kiddos hearts.
It’s leaving me disappointed as well since I’m going back to the literal drawing board in hope of actually landing a full time job…
So sorry you are going through this. One thing that may help, depending on where you live, long-term subs often get substantially more pay than daily ones. In my district, it is almost double. If you must sub until finding a permanent position, ask around at lunch in the teacher's lounge to see if anybody is expecting an extended absence in the near future. For example, is anyone going on sabbatical or needing surgery, or expecting a baby? This helped me to make ends meet while trying to figure out a more long-term solution. Best of luck. :)

Sometimes when things seem like a scam, they really are.

The district I worked in never, ever hired subs for full time positions. But they would tell the subs that subbing would give them a "foot in the door" in order to hold on to them and string them along.

The reason for this secret policy is this: the district gets hundreds of applications from people who want a full time teaching job - they are a constantly renewed resource.

However, subbing is an unreliable income source requiring one to be constantly one call at the last moment, the pay is around minimum wage, and there zero benefits, like insurance. Nobody wants to do that for a living.

Therefore, subs are hard to find and retain. Full time applicants are common as rocks. String the subs along with intentionally false expectations while hiring from the ongoing stream of full time applicants.

The common wisdom (at least in my area) is: Never sub where you want to teach, unless you're the kind of person who likes shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm sorry - it is painful to learn how utterly crappy employers are willing to be, and how badly they will abuse hopeful and decent people.
Funny how you say things seem like a scam because it is true even for me. I have graduated almost 5 months ago since May with a masters degree in marine resources management and with me education, skills, and experience I can’t even get a full time. Interview after interview I keep getting passed on over its it’s been making me feel worthless at this point that I totally stopped searching for state and federal job might as well with the private sector. I am sick and tired of people not seeing my worth and dedication to a potential job I know I’m good at. Look like I’m never going to get a full time teaching gig either.

I used to teach for 5 years, HS Math. There are people who get hired from being substitutes, but it depends on the district and if they like you or not. Sometimes it can be personal, and sometimes not, but things are always spoken of and said in mannerisms that are completely legal.
It is, sadly, a good rule to assume that you won't get hired by the place you sub for. Apply anyway, but apply to other school districts too. People are more likely to value you more if you are able to show that if they don't work with you that somebody else will sorta deal.
Math has always been a high demand field, but I was only able to get FT offerings at the worst schools basically because the better school districts already can hire more experienced teachers or people they like, or they can hire cheap substitutes because they know there is cheap labor where some will hope they can get a position. But they will never give them the higher position because they know that that person will keep working at their district for a long time at cheap rate. I didn't want long term sub positions and didn't have to take, so I went and "did the grunt work" as some might say or imply.

Only other thing you can do if you stay as a sub is improve your background- more certifications etc. can make you a more attractive candidate to hire. Of course, that's more money, time, energy, etc.
I'd recommend you do short term subbing across many schools if you're doing long term. Short term subbing is usually easier and you are a professional babysitter and don't usually need to prepare too much. Short term, you make less, but usually long term, you don't make that much more.

Although, with your tight budget, it might be hard for you to make this transition at the moment. How do you handle summers when you aren't working for a school?

You can get an inside look of each school and then also have more time for yourself to prepare for a real job, another side job, and/or school.
Summers are going to be extremely difficult. I just graduated in May and the only “job” I got was being a part time wildlife naturalist at an aquarium over the summer which only paid as much as $15 an hour. Was not my first choice at all but it’s the only place who would hire me.
I’ve stopped looking for state, federal, and private job after 5 months of failure interview after interview after interview. I am sick and tired of people not seeing my worth and capability I have in a job as employers seem to be so blinded by a freakin interview. My apartment lease ends in February and I really doubt I’ll get a full time position the so in that case my plan is to move back up north with my family. Going to college was just literally a scam just showing how worthless I am as an individual.

Funny how you say things seem like a scam because it is true even for me. I have graduated almost 5 months ago since May with a masters degree in marine resources management and with me education, skills, and experience I can’t even get a full time. Interview after interview I keep getting passed on over its it’s been making me feel worthless at this point that I totally stopped searching for state and federal job might as well with the private sector. I am sick and tired of people not seeing my worth and dedication to a potential job I know I’m good at. Look like I’m never going to get a full time teaching gig either.
OK, but there's this - I did get a teaching job. I didn't get one anywhere I subbed, though, and that "scam" is why.

But I kept trying. I'd drive six hours for an interview, not get a call back, send out resumes over and over and never heard back. For two years.

I kept trying, and then, once - just once, I got lucky, and that was all it took.

I don't know if this "strategy" can help you, but what else can you do?

Maybe this can help - I have friends who quit teaching in public school and started teaching through an online school. They much prefer it.

I know of others who create lesson and/or unit plans, and sell them to overworked teachers. Again, on-line. Self published. Profitable.

Consider your personal skillset: you are ASD. You know subjects you can teach. How many parents of ASD kids might pay for a good ASD-skilled tutor ($70 -80 per hour)?

(personally, if I were going into teaching today, I would sell my skills on line, and never do face-to-face...).

I think it's hard to teach at a cyber school or it might be part time with no benefits. I've taught at a cyber school, and full time wasn't that much, but it was livable with benefits and it was hard to get the job.

But not only have you successfully made interviews, you had gotten job offers. (emphasis on the plural)

It would seem then that you're doing something right. Sometimes it's a numbers game. Nothing personal - you keep taking shots. Sometimes the good shots don't score, and it's the shot you took on a whim that unexpectedly connects.

K-12 Teaching for public school or charter is a tough field if you aren't already certified for getting anything beyond sub positions.
I think with your degree and the fact that you have experience at all, you could most likely find something with Schoodic Institute in Maine or Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium in Florida would fit you more.
Your primary focus should be water related jobs or something where you're doing scientific research out in the field. There is a need for people to do this, and this type of work might fit you well.

New Threads

Top Bottom