• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not Into Drinking, Smoking And Drugs

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I want to hear from those that are NOT into drinking, smoking and drugs and why it does not interest you? For me, I see no value in it and it a waste of money. Though I have drank a few times, it does nothing for me. I might have been 6 to 7 years since I had something. In my lifetime, I might have something about 3 to 4 times.

Today I got an invite for beer, which means nothing to me. I would like to meet people that not into any of the above. But those types of people are not easy to find.

I would prefer people stay on topic for this thread as there are many other threads on here for people into drinking, smoking and drugs.

Last edited:
I hear you, Penguin. I don't like beer at all, though I will have some champagne if it's a special occasion (like a wedding).
I don't smoke because I have enough strikes against my long-term health as it is (I'm overweight, don't get enough exercise, AND I'm a pessimist), and it's an expensive habit anyway. I do admit that I might try marijuana given the opportunity just for the hell of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some. Everything else would either completely mess up my brain (LSD) or is just too addictive (cocaine, heroin). I don't have the money for that crap anyway. I'm already addicted to caffeine and sugar as it is.

I don't do smoking or drugs. Just simply because it is a waste of money and dangerous to your health.

I occasionally have a drink but not much.

I'm not into drinking, smoking, or drugs either. I think constantly being told that it was bad as a kid, and constantly being told various examples of how it was bad, was a contributor. Mostly, i'm simply just not interested in it. I don't see why people feel like you have to drink to have fun and that you're lame if you don't. I think its a huge waste of money, as well. I work at a grocery store so i see just how much people's beer, wine, and smokes cost them and some of them spend what amounts to half of my weekly grocery budget on those alone! I'm like hell no, i'm not wasting that much money on something that just kills you. No offense to those that like drinking or smoking, but its not for me and never has been.

To me, drinking, smoking and drugs all primarily serve as devices to ease or enhance socialization. I've personally never considered substances as a viable way to escape reality.

Yet it's socialization itself which remains the most arduous one of them all for me. I have to admit, I've attempted to "escape" socialization many, many times. :eek:

To me, drinking, smoking and drugs all primarily serve as devices to ease or enhance socialization. I've personally never considered substances as a viable way to escape reality.

Yet it's socialization itself which remains the most arduous one of them all for me.
This can be confusing for me. I see people start fights and get taken advantage when they are in that state. I understand not everyone falls in that category. However, sometimes going into this route creates conflict that could have been avoided.

I don't drink, do drugs or smoke. I drank when I was younger but the novelty wore off and I prefered the taste of fruit juice anyway so it seemed pointless to drink. I wouldn't drink now, because of my religious beliefs. I was too worried about the potential side effects of other types of drugs to ever get into them and cigerette smoke gives me a headache, so I never got into that either. I tend to avoid substances that are stimulating, such as caffeine, as I'm over sensitive and will become extremely hyperactive and have great difficulty settling to anything.

I like going to cafes and having a herbal tea as an alternative to going to a pub/bar.

This can be confusing for me. I see people start fights and get taken advantage when they are in that state. I understand not everyone falls in that category. However, sometimes going into this route creates conflict that could have been avoided.

Good point. Socialization itself is so difficult for many of us to begin with. Why would we want to do so in a diminished capacity due to alcohol or drugs?

Socially I manage ok under such circumstances. But I still know it's all artificial...and that when it wears off I'm still "me".

Good point. Socialization itself is so difficult for many of us to begin with. Why would we want to do so in a diminished capacity due to alcohol or drugs?
Beyond me. I know I'm against this stuff. But what a person wants to do with their own body is their own business.

I'm not at all interested in drinking, smoking, or doing drugs. I don't understand why anyone would want to do any of that stuff. :|

I don't smoke because I recoil instantly from the acrid stench of cigarette smoke. Even the residual scent of it sends me running.
No alcohol, because why would I drink something that tastes like floor cleaner smells?
No drugs because I have spent most of my life in and out of shutdowns of varying degrees, so I cherish every beautiful moment of mental clarity that I can hold onto.

I just want to be clear, aware, and present in the moment for as much of my life as I am able.

Last edited:
My mom was a casual smoker, but only outside and never in the house, so I kinda grew up with it. I'm almost full neutral on it. I don't want to do it and I don't not want to do it. In fact, my first taste of tobacco was one night when my husband didn't clean his mouth out well after a dip. (And that stuff is incredibly spicy! Daggum! And I thought jalapenos had a bite.)

When I was a teen, I had to have these horrible oral surgeries. The only time I've ever been high. And I had one hell of a hangover the next day after one of the surgeries from all the drugs in my system. That pretty much guaranteed I would NEVER be interested in the illegal stuff. I hear some people can get high or drunk without a hangover, but I was the living example of that joke "I was fine the next morning, except when the stupid cat went stomping across the floor".

Drinking I do have a mild interest in. My dad nearly finished me off though. He did give me my first tastes of alcohol by letting me have a few sips of various wines and stuff he started exploring when I was a teen, but I never had much interest beyond wanting to know what it tasted like. But then came the day when I had a terrible cold and one of the worst I'd had, and he decided to fix my sore throat. I'd like to go on record and say that sake is the only alcohol that should ever be hot, and it should be illegal for whiskey to ever see the inside of a microwave! The honey and lemon did little to kill THAT burn. I can see why they called it fire water before ice cubes were commonplace. But it did fix my sore throat! Not long after I got out on my own I did develop my own interest in wine. I've had the same bottle in the fridge for ten months, so it's not like I'm an alcoholic. It's good to have on hand if I'm having a bad night sleeping, it does make me sleepy. And if I play it right, I can get the sleepy effects without any of that pesky "buzzing", I hate that sensation.

Cigarettes and drugs are non-entities to me, and always have been. I drank a lot for several years, then went from 1996 to 2011 without having a drop. Now it's about one beer per month at most. Stuff at more than 5% ABV? No thank you.

No 1 factor is the money.

2nd is I don't like not being in control and I know I have an addictive personality and I have enough vices without adding drugs.

However I do like drinking at a party where everyone else is but that's more cause I want to fit in and be normal but then I chicken out cause I don't want to get drink and loose control. Though I can drink a bit before that happens I still get scared.

I don't smoke and don't do drugs although I do enjoy one small glass of whisky once a week after I've finished five days of full on work. Not interested in social drinking when out as I have to drive home, and drugs are a no-no in my world.

I am a regular smoker and DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. It started off as a combination of PTSD and foolishness. As for alcohol, well, we have a complicated relationship, so I try to avoid it except in the safest of situations.

I don't like the thought of taking drugs at all, and I do get annoyed and frustrated with people who use them/ argue in their favour. I was on and off anitdepressants for a few years and it was awful, they stopped me feeling anything properly at all, I was just functioning and unable to enjoy anything or get upset. It even takes a lot of pain for me to just take a paracetamol now.

Alcohol I will drink occasionally either because it's something I like and fancy a glass of or to take a away some of the anxiety at a social occassion. I generally only ever has one or two glasses and never get drunk. I did have a few very drunken nights a few years ago but that was due to peer pressure and is not something I ever want to repeat. I don't understand people who need to get home from work and drink 'a large glass of wine', or who go out drinking to get drunk every weekend.

With regards to smoking I have less of an opinion. I don't smoke myself, it makes me choke. If people want to do it then that's their choice but when people complain about having no money but can still spend goodness knows how much on cigarrettes a week, that does frustrate me.

"The Penguin, post: 188912, member: 11487"]I want to hear from those that are NOT into drinking, smoking and drugs and why it does not interest you? For me, I see no value in it and it a waste of money. Though I have drank a few times, it does nothing for me. I might have been 6 to 7 years since I had something. In my lifetime, I might have something about 3 to 4 times.

Today I got an invite for beer, which means nothing to me. I would like to meet people that not into any of the above. But those types of people are not easy to find.

I would prefer people stay on topic for this thread as there are many other threads on here for people into drinking, smoking and drugs.

Hi (The Penguin), My SDA church has a long history of encouraging avoiding unhealthful stuff, but I mostly figure I'm stupid enough in life already I don't need any chemicals helping on making things worse. I am so allergic to smoke that even being in the same room can give me a migraine head ach. And hanging out with drunk people seems to be a invitation to bad luck for me. So I do my own thing if they can respect it fine, if not, they can go get busted by the cops with their friends.

I enjoy a glass of wine or beer with my meal, but smoking and drugs? No way. I'm very sensitive to tobacco smoke, I find it extremely unpleasant and I need to leave room whenever anyone lights up. I don't understand how people start these things, it make no sense whatsoever.

I'm not into any of it. Ever so often, I might have a beer with friends, at most 1-3 beers per year. I just don't enjoy the taste of pretty much any alcoholic beverage I've ever had. I'd much rather have a soda or something. Never smoked or done a single drug, not even once. Personally, I look at it like this. Why do stuff I don't like, drink things I don't like the taste of, and why potentially introduce problems into my life (drugs) when life has enough built in problems to deal with as it is. To me, it's just not worth it. I also concealed carry every day, so I have a personal rule about not ever having even a sip of alcohol while I'm carrying, and if I know I'm going to a comedy club or something with friends, and will likely have a beer, then I don't carry.

New Threads

Top Bottom