• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not autistic post but don't know where to post

ilovetochat87

I know this isn't technically about someone with Asperger's or autism but this is the best place to go and get some advice that I know of when it comes to disabilities so advice away please and thank you. If there's a better place to put this content please feel free to let me know send me that way.

So I've known this girl since high school she's one of my BFFs and she's never really been in any special ed that I know of except the one math class I had with her and I never noticed much about her that seemed disabled my dad's not really noticed either. I do know that the teacher said she just has basic LD and I was like what is LD and she said that's basic learning disability nothing real special pretty high functioning pretty mostly normal just the basics like she has trouble with her numbers and reading comprehension etc but really beyond that not much that's basically what is Basic LD means.

I don't know much beyond that I just know she didn't really appear much to me and she doesn't know what she had she just knows her parents would say you don't need to know quit asking we have it covered that's all you need to know. Finally she got told Central Auditory Processing and that totally makes sense because there was a case of recently being on the phone and her bf of 4 years were joking being facetious and jabbing at each other they just have a really close relationship and I thought it was funny. She said what's so funny? I said you guys are just being facetious and jabbing at each other and it's funny and she said what does fa-see-whatever mean. I said facetious and she said yeah that fa-see-sesesh. I explained it that they were making inappropriate joking and poking at each other and her boyfriend heard me and said yeah what she said basically the same thing. And she'll say things like clackle barrel for the restaurant cracker barrel. And sometimes you just have to correct her and she's like yeah that thing so I totally understand the auditory processing but it's a very mild it doesn't really hinder her in any way really.

She still gets the job done with life people understand her well enough that she gets across to people what she wants. She can still pretty well text etc I mean she doesn't seem that bad she's capable of living with her boyfriend 6 out of 7 days a week and her mom 1 day. She has physical relations with the bf and knows what she's doing she's extremely high functioning like someone with asperger syndrome would be in that same way. And she pretty much understands paying rent and giving him gas money although her parents want to give him a spreadsheet and show him what she spends and explaining that she doesn't understand what he thinks because they don't like him and they kind of want to make it seem like he's using her when she doesn't understand. She's capable of understanding enough and I'm under the impression and so is she that if she had a PCA not her parents helping her but a real PCA personal care assistant someone that teaches her Independent living skills so she can move on her own she would be where I'm at. I live on my own I only have someone come once a week to take me to the grocery store and when needed we schedule appointments to go to the doctor and she takes me and she comes in the room with me kind of a metaphorical handheld and I have help with my bills when needed but only when needed I'm pretty much 85% on my own. and I think she's capable of learning and comprehending if taught that and I live in a HUD apartment and I use social security combined with my paycheck to afford my apartment I barely make 50% income but I do and I think she could do the same thing she's capable I believe and so is she and her boyfriend clearly think she's capable of doing the same thing that I'm doing if taught you know comprehension wise.

My dad says Illinois is where she lives is pretty bad for disability services that there's almost nothing there and that she's pretty SOL and should stay where she's at because she ain't going to get much better but is there not any HUD apartments in illinois? I mean she lives around metamora, is there anywhere around there that has subsidized housing like HUD? Can she not do what I'm doing? Is there a way for her to become if this is the right word for this emancipated? like she's 30 and her boyfriend's 38 she's clearly old enough that I don't know if emancipated is the right word but you know what i mean? Is there a way for her to be emancipated if you will kind of become her own guardian or if maybe not she can still live on her own with less restrictions and not have to live with her mom at all?

She just talks to me daily about being depressed and wanting to get out of there and she doesn't know how. Her mom and dad are her guardians. She says they have guardianship and she wants them not to and she doesn't really know how to stop that and still get social security I mean she can't do it on her own without that and she would need them to be able to afford the service that would teach her Independent living skills to get to where she can be all by herself on her own. But she doesn't want her parents helicopter parenting anymore cuz she's 30. She's like my mom comes over to the apartment and she constantly says it's dirty it needs to be cleaned and it's like no of her business and she Roots through the mail and I have to take it out of her hands and boyfriend comes home and says why is it immaculate and then explains what that means and she's like oh that's my mom she came over to help me clean and he's like your mom was in my house again and he finds that the mail is somewhere it's not supposed to be and the computer was shut off and he lost all of his game progress and she's like my mom came to help clean and he said your mom rooted through my mail again which is illegal and she shut my game off that's not okay she needs to stay out of my bedroom and she's like okay honey I got it I understand he's like I don't think you do I love you but you need to make your mom stop She's afraid that she doesn't know how without making her mom mad to say fine then I'm out and you're losing this and I'm no longer helping you. What's the best option for her to get where she needs to be where she wants to be in her disability advocacy and independency etc without her parents being involved as much and letting her be more independent?

She sees how I have a person teaching me bits and pieces to learn adulting skills to be independent and my friend is jealous. She's like how do I get to do that and I was like I don't really know the laws of your state but I will do my best to help you.

Whatever advice you have about this you know what she can maybe do with her boyfriend to kind of step away a little bit from her parents and still keep her social security that would be great advice whatever you guys have and if you know some people we could get in touch with that would be great she wants to really learn and she doesn't think her parents will let her so she's trying to find out what she can do on her own to do this.

Anything you guys have is greatly appreciated in advance! Thanks!

It's annoying if the parent goes thru your stuff, but the free maid service aspect isn't bad. And even paid maids sometimes go thru your stuff too.

So what you are asking is, how this person might get less help/intrusions from her mother or parents? The parents have a guardianship?

I'm not sure how that all works where you or they live. But I would guess there may be some way that people can get help to discuss such difficulties, like in the UK this would probably be a social worker. What has your friend tried so far?

I believe it differs from county to county in the U.S. anyway. If a minor wants changes in their parent’s or other guardianship terms, they must formally contact the court or judge who created the terms and rules, etc.
In my limited experience there’s an age at which changes will be considered, as well as an assessment by a judge or someone who’s appointed by a judge.
Best first step may be to contact an advocate for the court or an attorney for legal advice.

Sounds like she should be in your area. The person helping you, does she have access to this same help where she lives? Sounds like her mother can be a bit intimidating with a streak of obessive compulsive. Can she apply for housing in your building? Or share housing?

It's nice you are able to understand her need for independence. You are doing this yourself and l am impressed that you see how important it is. Sometimes females have a little rougher time trying to become independent. Sometimes there are men around us who don't want us to be independent. They prefer us to be dependent on them.

Anyways, try asking her if she has any social worker that checks on her regularly. She could ask for a counselor to help with life skills.

New Threads

Top Bottom