• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noisy or quiet?

I am super sound sensitive, and I have a son who's stim is to screech/scream as loud as he can. My ears feel like they are bleeding or eardrums are ruptured when he's around more often than not. All I can do is hope he grows out of it. I can even hear it outside over all the cars passing with my weed whacker going and shooters headset, no joke.

I am super sound sensitive, and I have a son who's stim is to screech/scream as loud as he can. My ears feel like they are bleeding or eardrums are ruptured when he's around more often than not. All I can do is hope he grows out of it. I can even hear it outside over all the cars passing with my weed whacker going and shooters headset, no joke.
Oh, I believe you. I know how loud they can get. And girls are screechier. lol

Yeah. I've posted this before. A toddler screaming, where you'll find me in the rafters, with my legs wildly waving back and forth. Stuck in the ceiling. :eek:

Like yourself I come from a quiet family, so I usually try to make as little noise as possible... my other half, however, comes from the direct opposite... He's probably the only person I forgive and tolerate though, even though at times when I get stressed his voice actually hurts my ears, I don't know what it is, but my eardrums are in pain. I forgive his stomping, clanking, throwing stuff around though... somehow. o_O And believe me, he's not subtle at all and is clumsy as heck.

People chewing, babies screaming, loud clanky pubs and restaurants however, sets my teeth on edge. Don't even get me started on people randomly screeching like banshees because they saw something 'cute' or something. Put a sock in it. -.-

Don't even get me started on people randomly screeching like banshees because they saw something 'cute' or something. Put a sock in it.
That's EXACTLY what I meant when I said shrill earlier. It always erupts at work when one of the women there gets engaged, announces they're pregnant, has a birthday, loses a pound on their diet or wears a new sweater!
Why the high pitched, whiny, screaming????!!?!?!!

Must be a civilian thang. Something never allowed in the household I grew up in. Must have been prohibited in the Uniform Code of Military Justice... o_O

I never came across it myself until I started working in an open plan office :rage:

I never came across it myself until I started working in an open plan office :rage:

Strangely enough I still recall when the management of the insurer I once worked for gave the matter some thought. Thank God someone vetoed the idea. Up with the cubicles...down with open space!

Strangely enough I still recall when the management of the insurer I once worked for gave the matter some thought. Thank God someone vetoed the idea. Up with the cubicles...down with open space!

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!!!!

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!!!!

Even Che would have probably preferred a corner office. :p

220px-CheHigh.jpg

One thing I always had trouble with working night shift, was having to wake a patient up for something and I'd usually be trying with a whisper (which doesn't wake people up). But I had a patient that was getting a liquid medicine every four hours so I went in with a medicine cup filled almost to the brim, carrying it carefully and leaned over slightly to whisper my patient's name. It scared her, she screamed and needless to say the medicine went everywhere.

I hate to admit it, but the first real office gig I had involved rows and rows of steel desks...no partitions. Two and three abreast for about 40 yards.

The worst of it at the time wasn't the noise so much as all the smoke. At least the desks were somewhat separated with adequate space. Still...it was a zoo. :eek:

Certain noises will send me to the moon, and literally make me want to commit murder. Loud talkers in particular, they just seem fake, talking loud to sound important, etc. Yappy dogs, repetitive ticking noises and certain high pitched noises. I struggle with maintaining my sanity when it comes to noise.

Why the high pitched, whiny, screaming?
Have often thought it was to call attention to oneself, when one person is doing it, it seems to catch on and others around join in. I've heard it at baby showers, parties, schoolyards, while dancing in clubs. It seems a particular phenomenon of the last twenty years.

Have often thought it was to call attention to oneself, when one person is doing it, it seems to catch on and others around join in. I've heard it at baby showers, parties, schoolyards, while dancing in clubs. It seems a particular phenomenon of the last twenty years.

Seems almost like a ritual at Walmart. Not amusing though. :(

It is very quiet where I live, but I find barking dogs drive me crazy and cause meltdowns.

Doors that are not closed properly also give me the same reaction as barking dogs.

Drip, drip of water from a tap too.

Barking dogs vehicle sirens loud talkers people on phones ring tones house alarms car alarms telly next door, beeps while the alarm sets or unsets people talking where I m trying to work, talkers in the library talkers in the Quiet coach on the train, why? Oh why...?

Quiet family as well. I had to learn to warn people with 'Behind you' or similar at my workplace otherwise there would be accidents. They would tell me to 'stop playing a ghost'. Duh.

Human noises. Eating noises. Children cries. Playing with car/motorcycle engine. Snoring. Ooh, snoring, especially the one that sounds like a wounded walrus. I'm aware it's often a medical condition but it's still one of the most hated sounds I've ever had the displeasure hearing.

maybe you are also 'highly sensitive', there are some god books about it,

my solution,
- noise cancelling headphones
- made to measure silicone earplugs
- found these really small in ear headphones that are wireless and comfortable to sleep in that play low level noise that actually block out a lot of noise
- do my shopping outside of peak hours
- go out to eat either right at opening, outside of peak hours in any case
- if i have social obligations, try to control the environment and keep the group small

New Threads

Top Bottom