• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No more interest in video games. Rip special interest no3.

Wolfsage

In training to be Wolf King.
It's been coming on awhile now. I've bought what I like and am content. Have no desire to get a ps5 or Xbox whatever it's called. Too much went online and to multiplayer games with in built loot box system.

It might come back to you, you never know; some of my special interests have had times where I lose interest for a set amount of time and they later re-emerge as a special interest at some point in the future.

It might not be the case here for yourself and if that is how it works out, it's no skin off your nose as long as you still feel satisfied. :)

Is it a lack of interest in video gaming? Or a dislike of modern titles?

I know plenty of friends, and myself included who have their older titles they thoroughly enjoy, but often feel dismayed and disappointed by the formulaic approach of a lot of companies in the games industry.

Whilst smaller, indie companies can have fresher approaches to genres and gameplay - I think a lot of us can end up set in our ways. Reliving nostalgia through older titles, and finding modern games to be offputting and lacking substance.

Another reason for a lack of interest in hobbies could be due to mental health. Depression and low mood can lead to anhedonia which is a lack of pleasure derived from activities. This may well pass in time, or it could open up new avenues to try.

Ed

It's been coming on awhile now. I've bought what I like and am content. Have no desire to get a ps5 or Xbox whatever it's called. Too much went online and to multiplayer games with in built loot box system.

That's the thing though: That's not all of gaming. You're looking at one side and ignoring the other.

I went through the same thing, and frankly, I didnt buy a PSWhatever this time and havent had an X-Anything in YEARS. I do have an old PS4.... somewhere, it's kinda lost and I dont care enough to look for it. Because you're right, everything is multiplayer lootbox blah blah blah...

....On the AAA side, anyway.

I dumped AAA games YEARS ago. Best gaming-related (and hobby-related) move I've ever made. Two games, Binding of Isaac and Spelunky, got me to switch to indie games.

Believe me: There are A LOT of amazing things on the indie side. Better yet, ALL GENRES are represented there. I dont know if you noticed in recent years, but among the AAA side, entire genres are outright MISSING because they're not guaranteed to "please the shareholders" (aka the one and only thing the big companies ACTUALLY care about). 2 of my favorite genres for instance: roguelikes and shmups, the AAA guys never, EVER touch those.

AND, on top of that, indie games are drastically cheaper. And usually have more content. There are games that cost me, oh.... $10, or maybe $15, yet that I've gotten 300-400 hours out of. Isaac being the king of those, at 800 hours and no signs of THAT stopping anytime soon.

Dont think that they cant have great graphics either. I'll put it this way: I've rambled on, every now and then, about the glory of VR... you may have seen me do that. Guess who makes VR games? I'll give you a hint: It aint the AAA guys (again, wouldnt please the shareholders). And VR is the freaking *king* when it comes to graphical anything. Among non-VR games, well.... there's seriously some incredible stuff there. Or for those who dont care as much about graphics or even prefer retro stuff (as I often do), there's that too.

But BEST OF ALL: No. Scummy. Tricks. No lootboxes, no gambling mechanics, none of that worthless gibberish. You buy a game, and.... oh boy.... you GET THE GAME THAT YOU BOUGHT. What a concept, eh?

Seriously, I've been gaming since the 80s, and I followed all the big brands for a long time, and like you, started to get disillusioned and disappointed as they got more and more slimy, producing games that were just less and less good. Swapping sides not only got me MUCH better games, but it also got me a very, VERY dramatically wider variety. Anyone can make a game... even I've done it.

What I'm saying is: Dont just give in, and dont make assumptions about how things SEEM to be. Branch out and EXPLORE. Instead of waiting for the big slimeballs to come jumping at you with good games (which they wont), go out and do the browsing yourself, on the side that doesnt involve those slimy jerks.

25 years ago, I enjoyed video games, and even in the past 3 or 4 years. But right now, I don't want to devote the focus to that. I've become a cable news junkie instead, with a game of freecell going at the same time in a laptop. Primitive, I know. But I don't desire to sink myself into a virtual world.

Plus I admit, I was spending too much on in-game purchases. I realized I had been hooked into an addiction.

spending too much on in-game purchases. I realized I had been hooked into an addiction.

This is the other reason why I always suggest indie stuffs whenever a topic like this comes up:

Because they dont do that. At all.

The AAA guys are successful not because they make good games... as they mostly dont... but because they prey upon those with gambling/addiction issues. It's literally where the vast majority of their money comes from. And they put a lot of time and effort into researching the best ways to make it happen. Heck, there was one panel held at some event that got leaked onto Youtube, where this absolute slimeball of a guy was teaching the audience how to exploit FOMO... the fear of missing out. By making people (particularly kids) feel left out or ostracized from their friends because they arent buying the latest stupid microtransactions, they can get those kids to pester their parents to make purchases and stuff like that. The entire panel was JUST that. Disgusting, but that's what these companies have become.

I always tell people: If you want to avoid getting scammed, avoid those big games. AND, avoid phone games. The quality on both is very low in any case, no matter how good the graphics may be (with the occasional exception of course).

This isnt just good to know for those that get the advice directly: This is also good for any family members they may have, particularly kids. Kids accessing and then completely blowing a savings account on a freaking iPhone game or the latest Derp of Duty is a story that keeps repeating (and the AAA guys are absolutely aware of this, never apologize, and will fight to the death to keep whatever money they got from it if someone tries to take them to court... they have zero morals whatsoever).

Parents REALLY need to learn about this stuff if they have kids who are into games whatsoever these days.

Irritates me, really. I grew up with the Atari 2600, NES, SNES... passionate, skilled developers made great games, and that was it. There was no need to police the heck outta things to protect your kids from what is supposed to be a fun hobby. What they've turned that side of the industry into is absolutely infuriating.

New Threads

Top Bottom