• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nice guys, patriarchy, and feminism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanadium50

From the pure logical point of view, I was tempted to blame the phenomenon that nice guys finish last on patriarchy. After all, the concept that male partner should be dominant is rooted in patriarchy, and the fact that nice guys finish last is a consequence of the fact that women want to stick to this patriarchal concept: in fact, sticking to this concept is even more important to women than actually being treated nicely!

However, when I actually talk TO woman about this, what i see seems to be just the opposite: its the feminist women that would slam "nice guys" the most! To me this seems like a contradiction. I mean, if feminists don't believe in gender roles, why do they select a dominant male for themselves? Makes no sense! However, if I think about it a bit further, the reason an aspie male is not being dominant is rooted in the fact that he is constantly being "beaten up" for having poor social skills. Now, from the traditional gender perspective, women are better at social skills than men are. Therefore, from patriarchal perspective, its man's duty to carry a heavy bag for a woman (to help her out where men are stronger) and its woman's duty to forgive man's social faux passes (to help him out where women are stronger); on the other hand, feminists, by rejecting this concept, are less likely to forgive man's faux passes, hence feminists are the ones that end up hurting nice guys the most.

Now, in a true patriarchal society they won't ever phrase it that way: instead of saying that women are forgiving man's faux passes to help them out, they will say that men can do what they want because they are the leaders so they get all the say in everything. But in reality those are just two sides of the same coin. A perfect illustration of this is to reverse the genders. When feminists say "women power" what they really mean is "helping out the female victims of male oppression". So, in the same way, "male power" can be thought of as "helping out male victims of female oppression".

Now I fully realize that the latter statement is silly; but the reason it is silly is time sequence. Since female oppression of men is 21-st century phenomenon, how can middle age patriarchy possibly be a reaction to it? But, as a physicist, I think imagining "time reversals" would give you a lot of insight into a lot of things. When you go to the store, does it really make it that much of a difference whether you first take the item and then pay, or first pay and then they give you an item? Well, with patriarchy-feminism thing its similar: a feminism is a payment for patriarchy just as much as patriarchy is a payment for feminism. If feminism came first, then patriarchy would come after words in order to "help out" all those men that were psychologically damaged by women. But since patriarchy came first, thats why women are like "wait a second, you had patriarchy for no reason? Well you can't just have patriarchy for free, here, let me give you the reason", and then you have a feminism coming along. And yes, "women power" is not just an expression: it shows itself in a very literal way when the woman shows her "power" in the way she tears apart the nice guy (a perfect illustration of this is the following thread: https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/getting-women-to-approach-me.16590/ as you see in that thread, Calicat kept asserting her superiority over me by first looking down on me for "not noticing" how I phrase things (hence she is stronger than me since she notices more than me) and then pointing out that she could collect a lot more likes than me, and so forth) But still, despite the fact that on my end of the line it feels like Calicat "overpowered" me, on her end of the line I am sure it feels just the opposite: she feels victimized by patriarchy and feels like she has to defend herself. And thats where my point becomes even more obvious. We don't even have a time sequence. Here we are writing back and forth at the same time, yet men feel victimized by feminism and women feel victimized by patriarchy at the exact same time!

In any case, going back to the previous paragraph, the point I was trying to make is that, since perceived superiority (hence dominance) and perceived victimhood (hence the need for compensation) are two sides of the same coin when it comes to EITHER gender, the analogy between man carrying bag to help out a woman and the woman forgiving mens faux passes to help him out in his social skills holds. Now, if you think of feminism as getting rid of gender roles as opposed to their reversal, then feminists are less inclined to do either, and thats why feminist women won't forgive aspie men.

On the other hand, if you view feminism as, in fact, a reversal of gender roles, then you can argue that in order for women to feel "more powerful" they have to claim that whatever things women are better at are more important than the things men are better at. Since women are better at social skills, this means that part of feminist agenda is to make social skills more important than physical strength. And since feminists want to be gender-blind, they want to make this the case in all cases: thus, even if there are two male job applicants, it would still serve feminist agenda if social skills on the interview had higher value! BUT HERE IS A TWIST: this state of things causes a man with better social skills (female strength) to be more confident (male strength) and BECAUSE OF that twist feminist women end up going with more confident guys DESPITE the fact that it flies in the face of feminist agenda.

And yet another possibility is that feminists are aware that they have just given credit to the male strength but their thinking goes like this "women strength is of course more important, but since none of the guys have those female bonuses, lets look at lesser important things -- such as male bonuses -- to see whether any of them can at least somewhat make up for lack of female ones". Hence the logic is: most men are inferior, except for those few supermen who "made up" for their inferiority by being the supermen that they are -- hence feminists choose supermen to date.

And here is one more theory: maybe feminists do support gender roles, but they view them as confined to the family -- and in order to be part of the family (as in, approved by a woman as someone to date) you have to pass all those qualifications. On the other hand, patriarchy offers all men unconditional power -- qualified or not. And the reason feminists are opposed to patriarchy is logically parallel to the reason that any woman (feminist or not) would be opposed to random stranger saying "hey from now on you are my wife". So feminists are actually MORE aware that dominance is a gender role IN A FAMILY, and thats precisely why they are opposed to gender role in a society at large since that would make them feel like that dominant guy on a TV is trying to be her husband (why? Because being dominant is associated with a husband, hence her selection of a mate).

Anyway, these are just my two cents. But what do others think of it? NOTE: I was going to say "what do you guys" think of it, but I couldn't, since Calicat jumped into that expression in the other post. And now that I tried to avoid the phrase "you guys" I found it quite difficult (I mean when I replaced "you guys" with "others" it sounded awkward). But apparently for Calicat its easy to find ways to phrase it that avoid "you guys" AND don't sound awkward. Thus, she can assert her superiority over me this way.

Last edited:
I could be looking at this all wrong, but with so many things said, I expect that will happen. I don't know what to say yet about everything else so I'll focus on a couple of things.

You talk much about nice guys, but how are you defining nice guys? How the term nice guys tends to be used is actually a bit misleading. "Nice" guys are not actually nice at all. They behave in such a way that they act only to get women as a reward and not actually caring about them as a person. An example would be a "nice" guy saying he's sticking up for women against "jerks" and then openly asking why women are choosing them over him. He's not acting out of actually being a good person, but mainly for the sake of "winning" a woman's love. I would think especially in today's society, women are perfectly capable of defending themselves without needing a man to defend her just because of their gender differences. I'm not saying it isn't okay for a man to defend a woman, but the reasons why makes a huge differences.

As for the linked thread, I see a very different story. It sounds like you're trying to paint another member in a bad light because of the reactions she gave you a few weeks ago. I can't say exactly what her intentions were because she can speak for herself. I would say you're making a huge assumption by saying she feels like a victim of the system. How was she defending herself when she was addressing what you said? How is pointing out flaws in your post being a victim? If anything, I feel you're projecting because you're not over the criticism you were given.

You talk much about nice guys, but how are you defining nice guys? How the term nice guys tends to be used is actually a bit misleading. "Nice" guys are not actually nice at all. They behave in such a way that they act only to get women as a reward and not actually caring about them as a person. An example would be a "nice" guy saying he's sticking up for women against "jerks" and then openly asking why women are choosing them over him. He's not acting out of actually being a good person, but mainly for the sake of "winning" a woman's love. I would think especially in today's society, women are perfectly capable of defending themselves without needing a man to defend her just because of their gender differences. I'm not saying it isn't okay for a man to defend a woman, but the reasons why makes a huge differences.

I am not talking about defending a woman from jerks -- most guys are stronger than me so I am too scared to even think about trying to do it. Rather what I mean by nice guy is naive. Its true that nice guys might be seeking reward, but that quality is not unique to nice guys, this quality applies to everyone: both nice guys AND jerks. But jerks go a lot further in that direction. I had a couple of conversations with some men whom I never suspected of being jerks UNTIL that conversation that revealed that they are. In any case, one of them told me to "notice things" (referring to woman's ass) while the other one asked me how long is my dick and that girls can tell. Now, I honestly COULDN"T STAND them talking that way and I am glad I am not going to talk to those two guys any more. The only "reward" I am seeking has to do with women smiles. So if I am wanting a girl to smile at me and have friendly conversation, while those two men are boasting about her ass, well you can tell that I am the one thats nicer (and no, this has nothing to do with pretending: like I said I wanted to get away from their company because *I* didn't like this kind of talk, and I didn't get any "reward" for this since none of the girls saw me during that conversation).

As for the linked thread, I see a very different story. It sounds like you're trying to paint another member in a bad light because of the reactions she gave you a few weeks ago. I can't say exactly what her intentions were because she can speak for herself. I would say you're making a huge assumption by saying she feels like a victim of the system. How was she defending herself when she was addressing what you said? How is pointing out flaws in your post being a victim? If anything, I feel you're projecting because you're not over the criticism you were given.

If you read carefully what I wrote, I acknowledged that, taken on a face value, she didn't look like a victim: on the contrary she looked really "strong" (and yes I referred to her as "overpowering" me). But then comes theorizing when I am connecting the dots that are not obvious. So on the one hand, calicat is all strong and mighty. On the other hand feminists are victims (note I said "feminists" in general, not her) since one of the motivations of feminism is past discrimination. But, thirdly, calicat was driven by feminist ideas (because she called me "sexist" which is what feminists would do). So if someone "strong" like calicat has something in common with some "victims" like feminists, then there must be some deeper connection there.

Now, calicat is not the only example of this phenomenon. I can think of two girls I tried to date this past year, and in both of those cases there was the following pattern: first I was upset at someone that has nothing to do with those girls and then I decided to take it out on them by deliberately being mean, yet they turned it around to make themselves come out as strong and make me a victim. In case of E. I was upset at my other ex nit-picking on cuss words, so I told her "**** you" since thats what the other ex didn't like. In case of A. I was upset that one of the profs said I don't work hard enough, so I told her that I am better than her since she never studied math and physics to begin with. In both cases I explained shortly after the fact exactly why I did it; and it seemed to me that E. believed me but still didn't forgive me for it, while A. didn't seem to believe me to begin with. What ended up happening is that those girls acted as if they weren't hurt by my being mean (which would make them victims) but instead they were bored with me because I am a nerd (which would make me victim). In case of E. she started playing video games while talking to me and only later admitted that it was because of the hurtful things I was telling her, which I would have never guessed. In case of A. she told me right away she was mad at me but then later on when she SAID she forgave me she started acting goofy+disracted each time I was saying "well since you forgave me what about getting back together" in order to avoid saying "yes" and at the same time avoid confrontation over "no". And, in both cases, I felt they were social butterflies and I was a nerd left out (they were superior, I was inferior) yet they told me that it was a punishment for my belittling them (that is, my being strong and them being victims). So from this I deduced that women have that skill of turning things around and instead of feeling victimized they make the man that offended them into a victim. And then my THEORY is that maybe calicat did the same.

Last edited:
A few issues I've noticed
#1 this only explains it from a feminist point-of-view... Not a non-feminist... Who still believes in the patriarchy...
#2 you never defined "nice guys" therefore, you could assume that a "nice guy" could still be a major dick, just 0.000000000001% less of one...
#3 this information is biased, because of my experience, most girls are more analytical face-to-face than on the Internet (even on a survey) so don't trust everything you read... (I am WAYYYYYYYYYY too smart for my age)

I've also seen more jerks get dates... (But that might be due to my age, and not a typical adalt female preference, (remember, I'm 13))

NOTE: I was going to say "what do you guys" think of it, but I couldn't, since Calicat jumped into that expression in the other post. And now that I tried to avoid the phrase "you guys" I found it quite difficult (I mean when I replaced "you guys" with "others" it sounded awkward). But apparently for Calicat its easy to find ways to phrase it that avoid "you guys" AND don't sound awkward. Thus, she can assert her superiority over me this way.

Thanks, Van. I love you too, brother. I haven't forgotten about you either. Still too busy for a lengthy dissertation at the moment, but I'll be back. :cool:

Oh ... and just a side note: I'm superior to almost everyone, so don't let that get you down too much. ;)

Edited because telling the truth will probably get me banned. Carry on thinking you're a nice guy.o_O

Now, calicat is not the only example of this phenomenon. I can think of two girls I tried to date this past year, and in both of those cases there was the following pattern: first I was upset at someone that has nothing to do with those girls and then I decided to take it out on them by deliberately being mean, yet they turned it around to make themselves come out as strong and make me a victim. In case of E. I was upset at my other ex nit-picking on cuss words, so I told her "**** you" since thats what the other ex didn't like. In case of A. I was upset that one of the profs said I don't work hard enough, so I told her that I am better than her since she never studied math and physics to begin with. In both cases I explained shortly after the fact exactly why I did it; and it seemed to me that E. believed me but still didn't forgive me for it, while A. didn't seem to believe me to begin with. What ended up happening is that those girls acted as if they weren't hurt by my being mean (which would make them victims) but instead they were bored with me because I am a nerd (which would make me victim). In case of E. she started playing video games while talking to me and only later admitted that it was because of the hurtful things I was telling her, which I would have never guessed. In case of A. she told me right away she was mad at me but then later on when she SAID she forgave me she started acting goofy+disracted each time I was saying "well since you forgave me what about getting back together" in order to avoid saying "yes" and at the same time avoid confrontation over "no". And, in both cases, I felt they were social butterflies and I was a nerd left out (they were superior, I was inferior) yet they told me that it was a punishment for my belittling them (that is, my being strong and them being victims). So from this I deduced that women have that skill of turning things around and instead of feeling victimized they make the man that offended them into a victim. And then my THEORY is that maybe calicat did the same.

You say that you think you are a nice guy... but this behaviour is not nice at all. Your wording is a little difficult to understand, but it sounds like you want to think that these girls 'left you out' because you are a nerd, instead of admitting that they were rightfully angry with you because you were hurtful to them, and wary because there was a high chance that you would be mean to them again for something that wasn't their fault. This has nothing to do with women turning being a victim around to make you a victim, it's just self defence.

Edited to avoid flaming ;)

Last edited:
(Sigh) do we all have to constantly flame one another? I mean seriously... Grow up! All of you!

Last edited:
Let it all rest...This is a support and information forum

I can only hope that most of you understand that the OP is getting exactly what he wants out of you ;)

OP asked what we thought of his post regarding his opinions about this thread. We're answering that. Flaming aside, is that really a problem even if there is much disagreement toward his thoughts?

I am not talking about defending a woman from jerks -- most guys are stronger than me so I am too scared to even think about trying to do it. Rather what I mean by nice guy is naive. Its true that nice guys might be seeking reward, but that quality is not unique to nice guys, this quality applies to everyone: both nice guys AND jerks. But jerks go a lot further in that direction. I had a couple of conversations with some men whom I never suspected of being jerks UNTIL that conversation that revealed that they are. In any case, one of them told me to "notice things" (referring to woman's ass) while the other one asked me how long is my dick and that girls can tell. Now, I honestly COULDN"T STAND them talking that way and I am glad I am not going to talk to those two guys any more. The only "reward" I am seeking has to do with women smiles. So if I am wanting a girl to smile at me and have friendly conversation, while those two men are boasting about her ass, well you can tell that I am the one thats nicer (and no, this has nothing to do with pretending: like I said I wanted to get away from their company because *I* didn't like this kind of talk, and I didn't get any "reward" for this since none of the girls saw me during that conversation).

If you really mean naive guys, you have to be clear about that. I know people have criticized you before for your choice of words, but it really does matter a lot. A major difference between "nice guys" and "jerks" is that the latter is much more honest about their intentions. "Jerks" will let a woman straight up about how he feels and what he wants from her. People tend to not like being lied too or misled. "Nice guys" will often act like a doormat to please a woman and not be very honest about his feelings. "Jerks" are harsher and less nice, yes, but that honestly is out there because relationships have their ups and downs. This is what I get from the whole thing from having reading about why "nice guys" are so flawed upon.

I can see why you were unhappy about those two men since they were much more upfront about their feelings. It can come off as seeing women as sex objects and I shy away from that, but this isn't a one way street. In general women may not be as visually simulated as men, they do notice a man's appearance and it does make a difference. Many people, especially when looking for a date, do want to be noticed for their appearance first due to first impressions and such. You do care about appearance because in the linked thread you talked about looking for women of a certain weight range. It's okay to notice what you like because most of us are sexual beings. Judging by appearance has its flaws, sure, but it is a very common flaw for people.

If you read carefully what I wrote, I acknowledged that, taken on a face value, she didn't look like a victim: on the contrary she looked really "strong" (and yes I referred to her as "overpowering" me). But then comes theorizing when I am connecting the dots that are not obvious. So on the one hand, calicat is all strong and mighty. On the other hand feminists are victims (note I said "feminists" in general, not her) since one of the motivations of feminism is past discrimination. But, thirdly, calicat was driven by feminist ideas (because she called me "sexist" which is what feminists would do). So if someone "strong" like calicat has something in common with some "victims" like feminists, then there must be some deeper connection there.

Calling people sexist isn't just a feminist idea. You're implying that if you have any beliefs or actions that have something in common with another group, then there must be a deeper connection. There are overlapping ideas and you don't have to belong to a group to share an idea with them.

Just because person A is mean to person B doesn't mean person B feels hurt. Not everyone feels hurt from someone being mean to them. Your particular case follows your theory, but it doesn't mean it will apply all the time. I see why you might get that feeling from what happened in those interactions from both of those women. We tend to base our worldview on our personal experiences. Since you have decided to share your experiences in a public space, people will use their own viewpoints to come up with how they feel about what you shared. I wasn't there so I have to go by your words. You came up with a theory for this and anyone else here could come up with another theory for why that event happened.

Last edited:
You say that you think you are a nice guy... but this behaviour is not nice at all. Your wording is a little difficult to understand, but it sounds like you want to think that these girls 'left you out' because you are a nerd, instead of admitting that they were rightfully angry with you because you were hurtful to them, and wary because there was a high chance that you would be mean to them again for something that wasn't their fault. This has nothing to do with women turning being a victim around to make you a victim, it's just self defence.

But the thing is that I was telling to both of them that I would never do that again, yet they responded to me exactly what you just did: that they think I might despite my intending not to. In other words, they decided that I am not in control of my actions since they decided I will do it despite my fully intending not to. Acting like I am not in control or that I am not self aware is reminiscent of my mom thinking I won't know when the room I rent is not comfortable and so forth. And that is the same as calling me inferior. The point is that they did NOT tell me "I don't believe you, I think you INTEND to be mean and you are lying that you aren't". Instead they said "I know you don't want to be mean, but you will be anyway, because you are predestined to be mean". That's why they didn't call me a jerk but instead they called me a disabled, a "victim" of the predestination THEY attribute to me, I am like "no I am not predestined to be mean, I have a CHOICE and I will CHOOOSE not to be mean any more" but they are like "oh yes you ARE predestined to be mean" and that really hurt me.

On the other hand, the actual jerks would never say they won't do that again, and they never back up on any mean thing they said. They stick to everything they said and that's why they get respected. So in case of those two women I said something and then was frantically apologizing but they didn't hear it. On the other hand those two women were sticking to what they said so in a long run they were a lot meaner to me than I was to them since it took only five minutes for me to say those mean things initially and it took days for me to try and apologize and for them to turn down my every attempt to do so.

As far as confusing between being punished for mean behavior and being a nerd, it was a communication issue. In case of E. my mean behavior came first, then punishment came a week later, and then I learned about the reason for a punishment a month later. So, based on this timing, how was I supposed to know at the time of a punishment what the reason was? All I saw was that I was engaging in my usual monologues, and she was getting distracted by video games. The natural interpretation is that she got bored with my monologues, and I couldn't have possibly known any other reason she was yet to tell me three weeks after that. That's why when three weeks later she said that actually it was my mean behavior as opposed to being a nerd I felt severely mislead and this only angered me further.

As far as A. is concerned, yes, she did tell me right away that the message I sent her was mean and she doesn't want to talk to me. But you see two weeks later she lead me to believe that she forgave me because she tried to re-establish contact again. Then what REALLY mislead me was when she said that she never wanted to stop talking to me, I was "just mean" so she didn't know what to do. Now the way she pronounced the word "mean" sounded playful, like girls saying "you are mean" in a way of flirting. So I thought everything is fine, she was even joking about the past, but then when I tried to push her to talk about relationship directly then she started to back off by evading the subject all the while looking goofy, and then when I pushed some more then she again said that she can't date me because of past behavior. But wait a second, I thought when she was calling me mean she was being playful? So "playfully" calling me mean yet making THAT the reason not to date me almost feels like she won't date me because of the way I "played", well refusing to date someone over a play feels like the girl would treat a nerd.

Another thing to think about is this. When it comes to why nerds are rejected, you could also say it is their fault: I CHOSE to spend all my time on math and physics as a teenager, as a result of this CHOICE I don't have enough social experience, and that's why I keep failing. Now that would all be fine and dandy, the only problem is that consequences don't come immediately after the choice, but they are separated by a time interval. You see, if when I was a teenager someone were to say "you want to do physics, fine I will never talk to you again", I won't be upset at all, I would say thank you. What upsets me is that because I wanted to do physics as a teenager I am facing consequences now. WELL AS FAR AS THOSE GIRLS E. AND A. IT IS THE SAME EXACT CONCEPT: when I was mean to them, I intended to be mean then and there, I didn't intend to face their rejection down the road, yet this is exactly what happened. Now look at the logical parallel. Because I wanted to only do physics as a teenager, I became "socially disabled" as an adult; and because I wanted to be mean to those girls back then I became "disabled" with those girls later on. By the way, it is entirely possible that Asperger in and of itself is not a social disability, rather Asperger make you slightly clumsy in how you walk and makes it slightly difficult to control your tone of voice; it is other people that "punish" you for those physical disabilities by ostracizing you socially (just like back in 1950-s there was a lobotomy for schizophrenia, in the same way right now there is "social lobotomy" for Asperger and social skill deficits aren't any more Asperger syndrome than having the hall in your skull is schizophrenia symptom) and this being the case, those two girls "lobotomized" me when it comes to my interaction with them and so I feel like Asperger is 10 times worse each time I talk to them all because they have "lobotomized" me for my earlier bad behavior, which in turn makes it feel like switching around the victim roles.

Last edited:
Please, go on ... I'm thoroughly enjoying this exchange of ideas in between sessions of renovating my house.

Positivity riveting.

Well, I don't know which category I would fall under "nice guy" or "jerk"
I can be an absolute jerk when I want to be, and then other times I am the nicest bloke
you'll ever meet. What is your definition of a "nice guy"? a doormat? Not trying to be argumentive here I want to know what your definition of a "nice guy" is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom