• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly Diagnosed, Aspergers.

lizzy171002

Hello,

I received my diagnosis Tuesday this past week. Well, actually I was diagnosed between the 26 march and the 10 April, but I didn't find out the result of it all until Tuesday. I was in to get checked for social phobia, so the Aspergers diagnosis was a bit unexpected. I'm still freaking out internally, and have become really very self-conscious over all of the little behaviors I never really noticed.
(I never thought about how little I look at people, or how often I actually rock back and forth in my chair, or those little thoughtless sounds I make occasionally...wow, I am not very conscious of my own behavior. At least I noticed the obsessions.) When I think about it, it shouldn't have come as a surprise. My most common comment about social situations has always been 'I don't understand [insert social behavior/expectation].' That lack of understanding, and a growing anxiety over those situations, has contributed to me dropping out of the danish equivalent of high-school twice, before I barely got through on my third try. The same story happened in university, but my anxiety in social situations had gotten so bad that I dropped out completely on my third try. I've been unemployed ever since, trying to work through my issues since with counselling and mentoring. I am a bit dishearten to realize that I've been working on the wrong issues.

I'm 27 and I live with my parents. I had my own apartment for three years, but I moved home once I dropped out of university for the third time. I don't know what else to write.

Hi, and welcome to AC!

Your story sounds pretty familiar with mine. Of course diagnosis hasn't made anything easier itself, but at least now that we know better there might be easier way to find suitable solutions in the means of coping and all. I hope you'll enjoy your stay in here. :)

Understanding is the beginning of Freedom. I too make little sounds. All of the time according to my family. I touch everything. My social comments are often described as "Blatantly Honest", which is a gentle way of saying rude I guess. I recently discovered that I have Aspergers, and it all has made sense ever since. Better yet, I discovered that "I Am Not Alone"! On here, I can relate to people for the first time ever. It is such a comfort to understand, and to feel a part of Something, Anything!
I think this is the beginning of the rest of your life. You should be proud of yourself for having made it this far without all of the tools and advantages that others enjoy, and most always take for granted. Delight in being special, and enjoy life.

Hi Lizzy! Welcome to Aspies Central. I understand what you're going through. There are some times when I get overwhelmed with everything when so many things happen all at the same time. Don't get discouraged though because I feel that with the right group of people, you will do really well in life.

As for this forum, I think you will be in great company as we will support you with anything you need. We're a close-knit family as I like to call it. Hope you enjoy everything we have to offer here. And also, best of luck with everything. I believe in you!

New Threads

Top Bottom