• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

kit_kat

Hi All,

My name is Kat and I have been diagnosed with Asperger's since April '09. A year or so ago, I read a thread on a wall very much like this lamenting the lack of hard data concerning sexuality and gender in Asperger's. So, I started a PhD this year investigating sex, sexuality and gender identity in ASD through the University of Queensland, Australia and in collaboration with Dr. Tony Attwood.

As a newbie, I am unable to post links, but if you go to Tony's website you will find the link to the survey there in a panel on the right handside of the home page. There is also an associated facebook page called "sex, sexuality and gender identity study". I'm offering the opportunity to win an iPad2 or one of many $20 iTunes or amazon.com vouchers for your time and effort.

Anyone over 18 can participate!

I look forward to spending more time in here and getting to know you better. Especially, I can't wait to be able to share the results of my study. There is a free comprehensive report of the findings available to those who complete the survey too.

Sorry to go on about it, but sheesh isn't it about time the scientific community addressed Aspies as sexual beings with very real sex and gender concerns? If you couldn't already tell, it's my obsession at the moment. ;)

Cheers for now,
Kat

Hi, welcome to the forum (of course, we already met over at Spectrumville). I think your work sounds interesting and I'd love to hear about the results when they come in.

Do you think there's any possibility of getting Dr. Attwood to visit Aspies Central sometime and maybe have a little Q&A session? I'm sure that several people here would be very interested in that.

Hi, welcome to the forum (of course, we already met over at Spectrumville). I think your work sounds interesting and I'd love to hear about the results when they come in.

Do you think there's any possibility of getting Dr. Attwood to visit Aspies Central sometime and maybe have a little Q&A session? I'm sure that several people here would be very interested in that.

Hello again and thanks for the welcome. Tony is very involved in the community in various ways and i don't see why he wouldn't welcome this opportunity. Please contact him via his website. His PA, Dawn will no doubt get it on his behalf. She's very sweet. When I next meet with him in September, I will mention it to him too, OK?!

Is there any chance you could please post a thread on here and Spectrumville for us with a link to the survey? We really want it to be a global study and for everyone with an ASD to feel represented by this work.

Speak again soon,
Kat

Is there any chance you could please post a thread on here and Spectrumville for us with a link to the survey? We really want it to be a global study and for everyone with an ASD to feel represented by this work.

Ok. I'll start a thread in the "Adulthood Discussion" thread here and the "Adult" board at SV momentarily.

Tony Attwood - Author of The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Asperger's Sex Survey

BTW, have you visited this AS forum? I don't spend that much time there, but it's worth visiting:

Asperger's Syndrome Forum

IIRC, Dr. Attwood's son posts messages on this forum occasionally.

Last edited:
I sent Dr. Attwood an email this morning to tell him that several members of this forum would likely be interested in a opportunity to discuss AS-related matters here and that he might find it an interesting opportunity to interact with a diverse group of people on the spectrum. I look forward to reading his reply (of course, that may take some time since I'm sure his inbox is usually pretty full).

Oh, this discussion has to be held at a timing most of us can be free. It's ok if me, still living in Asia, miss the conference with Dr Attwood. But I still look forward to it anyway

I finally got a response from the email I sent to Tony Attwood. I'm a little disappointed, but I can understand why it would be hard for him to fit visiting the forum and hanging out with us into his schedule. I'm glad I got a response in any case.

Thank you so much for your message and especially, the invitation to join in the conversation at Aspies Central. This is one of those occasions when I do wish I had more time available with so many clinical, travel and family commitments. I very much would like to visit Aspies Central and engage in discussion but unfortunately, will have to decline due to so many commitments.

However, do pass on to the group my encouragement for their mutual support and exchanging information. I do think that the Internet has been so valuable for people with Asperger?s syndrome to not only feel less alone but also provide advice for each other.

Finally, thank you for the positive comments regarding ?The Complete Guide to Asperger?s Syndrome?. Your opinion means a great world to me and gives me encouragement to continue the work that I do.

It is unfortunate that he couldn't visit us but I completely understand and it was nice of him to reply.

New Threads

Top Bottom