• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New study shows children don't approve of a form of ABA as much as parents and clinicians do

HDLSeanWiley

Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a commonly used version of ABA, and yet, according to a new study, children who receive it don't approve of it as much as their parents or clinicians do.

I absolutely DETEST CBT and ABA for that matter. Its just a form of gaslighting and brainwashing. Should be stricken from MOST therapeutic modality lists, but that's just my opinion.

In a "nut shell", parents seem to want their children to be "normal". The clinician's role is to appease the parents with "results". The child may just want to be left alone, learn on his/her own, and to be him/herself.

Now, having said that, there is something to be said for learning how to interact "appropriately" within this social world, as well as, learning life skills. My children are what may be considered "neurotypical", and even with them, HOW things were taught and introduced made a huge difference in their abilities to uptake and incorporate new information. As parents, if things were forced upon them, they would resist,...sometimes resulting in temper tantrums that just made it a negative thing that 20 years later, they remember as something horrible,..."Remember that time when,....that sucked,...still don't want to do it". Sometimes they simply learned better by observation and playing with things on their own,...and they both ended up successful engineers.

Okay, question: What exactly is "ABA"?

I hear this on the forum all the time but I suddenly realize that I dont actually quite know what it is.

I hear this on the forum all the time but I suddenly realize that I dont actually quite know what it is.
From Wikipedia
"Applied behavior analysis, also called behavioral engineering, is a scientific technique concerned with applying empirical approaches based upon the principles of respondent and operant conditioning to change behavior of social significance." Wikipedia

Some people liken it to methods used to train puppies. I don't really know anything about it but based on one video I have decided I am not a fan.

From Wikipedia
"Applied behavior analysis, also called behavioral engineering, is a scientific technique concerned with applying empirical approaches based upon the principles of respondent and operant conditioning to change behavior of social significance." Wikipedia

Some people liken it to methods used to train puppies. I don't really know anything about it but based on one video I have decided I am not a fan.
I’m not a fan either.
I wouldn’t use those methods to train a dog either, based on my experience with that type of therapy.

It's a behavior therapy based on operant conditioning which is a system where children are given a reward (such as a sticker or a cookie) for exhibiting desired/neurotypical behavior and punished (such as being forced to smell a packet of ammonia) for exhibiting undesirable/autistic behavior to train autistic children to act like neurotypical children.

Last edited:
You could teach a kid with ASD emulation but you could not install social programming they are inherently incompatible with.

ABA is when you do various activities with the child, depending on their abilities. One example would be that you place three different toys on the table in front of them. You get them to attend to you and then you name one of the items BALL and they need to grab the correct item. If they are correct, they can play with their chosen toy. If they are incorrect, it depends on which phase you are in on what happens next. Many of the phases have you simply do it again. Some phases have you do it where you point to the correct answer.

That's a small part of what ABA is. When it's done correctly and compassionately, it miraculously teaches non-verbal children to speak, or at least communicate, it enables some children to brush their teeth or put their pants on or stop throwing their lunch across the room, stopping biting, the list goes on and on.

You can do all of things without ABA. ABA is about getting the child to comply by giving rewards such as candy or favorite toys in exchange for behaving the way the therapist wants you to. That's always been part of ABA and always will be.

I really need to work on getting part 2 of my blog series on ABA finished, here’s a screenshot on part 2:
B633F62F-18E7-44C7-A065-8C833F171D55.jpeg

Nuclear energy might actually be a good metaphor for this, perhaps certain elements present in ABA may be helpful, the same way one can use Nuclear energy to generate electricity; but ABA itself is wrong, just as using nuclear energy to make a bomb to kill thousands of civilians in order to win a war is wrong.

New Threads

Top Bottom