• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Relationship

KCR258

Hello, I'm new to this site and not really sure where exactly I should be posting this so please be patient with me. I’m an NT (male) and in a newer relationship with someone (female) on the spectrum. We’ve known each other for a some months now and we have a lot in common and we really like each other. But I’m looking for some help.

On the first date, she revealed to me that she was on the spectrum, and said she gets uncomfortable with touching and things of that nature and that it would take time for some things. I was accepting of that and wanted to get to know her better. We spent time some time together and talked all the time and things we’re going great.

However, I’m a very passionate person in a relationship and like to get physical (cuddling, kissing, etc.). After some hesitation, she got to the point where she was comfortable with holding hands and light cuddling. And things were going great until the other night. Long story short, she told me that she usually feels good with me and doesn’t mind physical contact (with breaks in between when she feels anxious), but sometimes she goes back to feeling uncomfortable with it. She says when she’s alone, she worries about what “normal relationships” do in the future (kissing, sexual contact, etc.) and was anxious about how I would feel when she didn’t want to do those things when the time comes. I’ve told her I don’t mind taking it slow as long as we can try different things in the future slowly and only when she’s comfortable.

Anyway, it got to a point where she (and truthfully, I) was questioning if it was a good idea for us to be in a relationship. I said I really wanted to be with her and that I felt we can make it work, because every other aspect (other than physical contact and the thought of “relationship norms”) is going great. I’m ready to try perhaps kissing someday soon (once again, I’m passionate) and move on with the relationship but I also want to make sure she’s comfortable. So I’m looking for help… What do you think? What can we do to compromise? What can we do to get to certain milestones? Do you think things could work out?

I’m worried this post might be a bit on the long side and I hope I clearly stated the problem without offending anyone. Thanks for reading and for the responses.

The best thing you can probably do is take it slow for now and not pressure her. By taking things slow with her you are setting the stage for things to come later. If that makes sense?

Even though I'm autistic I'm still a man and I know that most of us want a relationship to turn physical as soon as possible even if we pretend otherwise, but if you love her you will be happy to wait until the right time no matter how long it takes. It's best not to mention it at all unless she does when you should continue to reassure her that you will be there for her no matter what because she may well also lack confidence. For now settle for holding hands, perhaps a cuddle or it could even progress to a kiss, but don't even pressure her for this, wait until she shows she's happy and don't get upset or take it personally if she backs off sometimes, just give her the space she needs. It could be a long time before you get any further, but it will most likely just happen naturally one day, you will almost certainly know when the time is right and it will be something special. If you did try to force it too early and she wasn't truly comfortable, but decided to go ahead anyway for fear of otherwise losing you, it could go really badly and that would be a lot worse than being patient. The best things often come to those who wait and at least she sounds like someone who is likely to remain faithful to you, autistic people are commonly loyal.

Last edited:
You explained things quite well I think, and have so far managed it well. I think you hope, and perhaps believe that in time she will be able to do all or most of the things you would like. I think she is not at all sure that will happen. So you are not really on the same page with this. I would proceed in the short term if you don't mind spending the time seeing how things develop, but I would not be thinking long term at this point. Long term at this point is unknowable, but includes the distinct possibility she may not match your intimacy level.

Of course things can work out, it's no different to any relationship other whereby both parties need to compromise and communicate. The compromises can be worked out as they arise provided you accept each other and listen, truly listen. But is it really a relationship you are looking for or are you just trying to work out how to have sex with her? :)

Of course things can work out, it's no different to any relationship other whereby both parties need to compromise and communicate. The compromises can be worked out as they arise provided you accept each other and listen, truly listen. But is it really a relationship you are looking for or are you just trying to work out how to have sex with her? :)
Very honestly, this is the relationship/girl I've been looking for. I haven't connected to a person like this, so quick, ever. It's like we're cut from the same cloth, minus what the topic of this post is about. But thank you for the kind words!

Even though I'm autistic I'm still a man and I know that most of us want a relationship to turn physical as soon as possible even if we pretend otherwise, but if you love her you will be happy to wait until the right time no matter how long it takes. It's best not to mention it at all unless she does when you should continue to reassure her that you will be there for her no matter what because she may well also lack confidence. For now settle for holding hands, perhaps a cuddle or it could even progress to a kiss, but don't even pressure her for this, wait until she shows she's happy and don't get upset or take it personally if she backs off sometimes, just give her the space she needs. It could be a long time before you get any further, but it will most likely just happen naturally one day, you will almost certainly know when the time is right and it will be something special. If you did try to force it too early and she wasn't truly comfortable, but decided to go ahead anyway for fear of otherwise losing you, it could go really badly and that would be a lot worse than being patient. The best things often come to those who wait and at least she sounds like someone who is likely to remain faithful to you, autistic people are commonly loyal.
Thank you, this might be exactly what I needed to hear! It's still a young relationship, but I can tell she's very loyal and that we care for eachother. Once again, thank you! Very helpful!

New Threads

Top Bottom