• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here with question

Freedom4me

Hi all,
I am new here, currently only self diagnosed with a clinical opinion of my therapist that I am. Would love to go through the diagnostic process but don’t know of any good places in South Carolina for a women to get diagnosed. Anyhow, my husband and I went to a counseling session a few days ago. My counselor was explaining to my husband some of the better ways to communicate and other things we could work on. During the session she asked me a question and I kind of went on a rant and kind of talked to myself I guess. But she asked my husband if I did that regularly around him and he said yes. My question is what is that behavior considered? Verbal stimming or dialoguing? Or neither. Once she talked to him she just reminded me that I had said I wanted to work on how I came across to others. She didn’t say what it was and though I sent an email she may not respond for a few days. It doesn’t fit the descriptions I have read because it wasn’t a script from a movie or anything just like I was having a conversation with myself
Thanks

Hi Freedom4Me :)

welcome to af.png

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Really not sure what to say. I guess does it give you comfort? Then it probably is stim like behavior. Do you do it all the time? It might be nervous energy or just a habit , some people might consider it a not so great habit. But we do form habits, no doubt about it.

Hi & welcome,
Don't know the answer to that. People do mention talking to themselves at times, myself included, and I think it does happen in front of others occasionally. But I don't know if it happens in the middle of conversations with others. It may be just a habit you developed and not mean very much.

I talk to myself sometimes, but mostly to my dog. I like to explain things to her like she is a child.

Hi and welcome. Was the rant relevant to the question she asked? It's pretty stressful going to counselling, so maybe you were just venting. Do you agree with your husband that you do that a lot? Again, if you do, that could just be because things are stressful.

There's lots of reasons that things may be stressful, you could be anxious, life may be hard in all sorts of ways, and if autism is in the mix too, that can add stress as we try to navigate the world, because having a different type of brain means that some things that seem obvious to neurotypical people are confusing for us.

The name you have chosen here sounds like you are looking for freedom, and have been feeling shut in and confused by things? I hope you make progress with that, and find useful information here, there are a lot of past threads to look at and informative resources about autism, and there's plenty of useful discussions.

:palmtree::herb::seedling::sunflower::palmtree::herb::seedling:

Hi. I don't know how old you are and I don't want to scare you but it sounds like you may have some level of dementia.
Sometimes people with dementia can be clear as a bell and other times they talk to themselves.

I multitask at my job and l will mumble something to kind of ground myself. People may do something really stupid but you can't say it to them, hey you- why are you acting stupid? So l may say under my breath, that was really stupid, did l really see that? Now given that, l live in a state with some really strange things that people do like the lady that stuffed a alligator down her pants because she was pulled over by cops not to mention the little box turtles that her and her boyfriend had in their truck. Or there is the lady that was missing something at the drive thru and came back with a gun. It really helps ground me because l deal with some stupidity and l have no outlet. I think of it as more of a nervous stim. Don't have much friends where l live and l cope with stuff the best l can. I am really on my own alot.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom