• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need advice

aspiemomof2

I'm considering letting my 13y/o aspie son browse and possibly post here, I'm super nervous though as we have always warned him of online chatting. But I wonder if it would help him to see that there are other people like him! He struggles socially and has very few friends and I worry (as most parents do) that he is becoming a follower just to fit in? :-(

Aspiemomof2

We have teenagers on the spectrum, so it may be helpful for him. We try to keep the environment as safe as possible, but still, we're an online community just like any other, so he does need to know the risks involved and how to keep himself--and possibly others around him--safe. Consider also that he might not want to hang around a place that his mother frequents as well. But it's up to you, and if done right, hopefully we can give him plenty of support and advice.

We have teenagers on the spectrum, so it may be helpful for him. We try to keep the environment as safe as possible, but still, we're an online community just like any other, so he does need to know the risks involved and how to keep himself--and possibly others around him--safe. Consider also that he might not want to hang around a place that his mother frequents as well. But it's up to you, and if done right, hopefully we can give him plenty of support and advice.

I appreciate your advice and time!! It's a lot to think about and consider!!

Aspiemomof2

It is a case of weighing up the risks to benefits. I think there would be a big benefit in knowing you are not alone. I think Salmon girl is a similar age?

For what it's worth, we have an "adults only" section meant for discussion of more mature topics. Some of us also swear in other threads, but we try to keep the profanities to a minimum. As Wyv said, there are always going to be risks involved with online chatting. We will, however, do our best to support your son if he joins us---you just need to lay down some personal ground rules for him to follow while browsing AC.

My suggestion would be maybe trying to find a more teenage friendly place. Not that this place isn't but...it has threads on parenting and adult topics that might not be appropriate for your son. Also something to consider would be if you are frequenting here also he might accidentally read something about himself and that could cause a problem between you. Maybe find him a site for himself.

New Threads

Top Bottom