• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Naming your strengths

strengths:
- strength in the physical, mental and the emotional department.
- knowing my own mind like a blueprint.
weaknesses:
- being too considerate for my own good
- GAD

I just had a meeting with my priest/boss and part of it was us coming up with strengths/weaknesses (she called it gifts and growth points, which was nice) and I had no trouble coming up with a few growth points that have been bothering me, but as usual I had a big mental block trying to come up with my strengths. It's something i've never been good at and i have a pretty strong memory of my cousin being kind of uncomfortable when she asked me whats something i'm proud of myself for and i couldnt come up with anything.

I don't think that this is an autistic trait per se, but I'm interested if anyone else here has the same trouble.

edit: it's not that I don't think I have any! when she named that I'm very good at solitary detailed-oriented work, doing the church accounting for example, I can see it, I just have trouble coming up with strengths on my own.
Read my blog on Maslow’s hierarchy. I am autistic and I struggle with esteem which is defined by Maslow as being proud of your own skill acquisition such as excelling at a sport. Our lack of hand eye coordination makes sports harder. According to Maslow we have to first accomplish the level called belonging to be good at esteem. But it is my experience that I can go backwards on the pyramid starting with transcendence which is a relationship with God and go through cognition (which is learning) in order to achieve skill mastery. Essentially you can either find where you belong to know what you should do or you could just ask God. It’s a shortcut. Then just YouTube it.
IMG_2339.png

You should be proud of anything you achieved and any job well done. Pride is nothing but rewarding yourself for good behavior.

People ought not to be proud of anything they had little or no control over or accomplished with little difficulty. The greater the difficulty, the more the pride might be justified.

Regardless, pride should not be a focus of one's life. It can make you feel you are more important than the next guy. Too much pride is a narcissist's sin.

I’m great at approaching people and starting conversations. I’m also a giver and like to spread my joy to others. Even thinking about that is hard to do. It’s hard to celebrate the simple and small things.

Gifts: I am usually Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Growth Points: Sometimes, I am not Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, or Reverent.

;)

New Threads

Top Bottom