• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Names

I don't have difficulty remembering names of people I am around quite often.
But, I've always noticed if someone is no longer a part of my everyday life or not around anymore
at all I can't remember their name.
I will remember them like a picture in my mind, but, not the name.
And that can be for people I've known for like 30 years.

It's like having an automatic trash can, and I don't mean that in a cruel way, but, once they are
no longer a part of my life it's like the name just is automatically forgotten.
They would have had to been a very close friend or family member to not forget the name.
Same with people I meet in a setting of knowing I won't be seeing them probably ever again
or seldom again. Like a group meeting or gathering.
It's as if they are no longer or won't be a common piece of my life, the name is of no
use and the brain just drops it.

As far as a candy bar?
I've always had a joke about being an Almond Joy.
Remember the old commercial that said: Peter Paul Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't?
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and I hardly ever don't. :D

There are some names that I hear, but don't get at all... I can't attach any meaning to them, or to me they mean something that I would never call a person. like Paige... what a strange name! To me, when I hear this without seeing it written down, I think page, a leaf of a book, and it makes no sense to me to call someone that.

Gosh, I am horrendeous with names.

Like you, when reading, I get completely lost who is who and have to go back to find out.

Also terrible with passing on greetings.

Remember Marathon bar commercials with Patrick Wayne?
Funny how a post on names devolved into a discussion about candy bars.

Now, does anyone else dislike calling people by their names?
I'm okay when I understand the social conventions at play, but not when I am unsure.

Dr. Jeff C. was our GP until he moved to a different clinic. We still encounter him socially at one of our local churches. It isn't clear to me if I should address him as Dr. C., Dr. Jeff or just Jeff in that setting. (I feel odd about asking that question directly, too.)

I am not great at names, and sometimes I get muddled if I don't know someone well and see someone similar, say at work. Also if they change their hair style and colour and I don't know them well, I may walk past them.

Does it link to the idea that we allegedly don't gravitate towards faces like wee NT infants? Should we blame our mirror neurons? Is it part of the executive function gap?

I'm really bad at remembering names and very good at engaging in conversation without ever calling someone's name. Years of practice. Lots of NTs are bad at name and face recognition. I've had thousands of clients over the years, all of whom recognize me but I rarely remember them, other than as plaintiff or defendant when I represented them.

I live in the southern US where we call everyone sugar, sweetie, honey, or darling anyway. No one minds down here in casual circumstances but it is mandatory to know people's names at work.

This is something I do with names of things, I do this often.

A person walks into a pharmacy and asks the pharmacist, “Do you have any acetylsalicylic acid?”
“You mean aspirin?” asked the pharmacist.
“That’s it! I can never remember that word.”

How is it I can remember the complicated word and not the easier one? :(

Yes! It's so terribly awkward! I remember when I first learned that people like it and I resolved to try it but never could.

I should have been more specific in my first post. When I said, "Yes, yes, yes!" I meant, "I am the same way in literally every detail, thank you for posting!"

I am very face-bind. Names often escape me too. I recognize people primarily by their haircuts and voices. Once I discovered this, I was able to help myself somewhat.

I tell people up front that I am face-blind and may not recognize them in other places.

When introduced, I force myself to work their name into the conversation three times.

If I do not remember a name, I call them by a common name and they correct me. Except for one guy at work who answered to the name I called him for several months.

"My mom and my dad" sounds right to me too.

Sometimes including their name somewhere in the conversation gives an impression of connection. Friendly warmth.

Not talking at but with ... whoever...

i'm good on faces and I suppose i'm not terrible with names as it's more of me never acquiring about someone's name and learning names by other people calling their name. I have never introduced myself to someone...ever...in my life. when people introduce themselves to me I tell them my name reluctantly. if I can avoid it I don't say my name.

Yes.
About the only time I call someone by their name is when trying to get their attention when they are far
enough away that I feel they may not hear me, like: "Hey, Frank!"
A few others I am close with when I see them I might say Hi along with their name, like: "Hi, Mac."

I live in the southern US where we call everyone sugar, sweetie, honey, or darling anyway. No one minds down here in casual circumstances but it is mandatory to know people's names at work.
This could be another area of discussion: Pet names.
Maybe I live even further south, but, hardly anyone uses those types of names even in casual
circumstances.

I've never been one to call someone a pet name or affectionate term name.
Such as honey, darling, baby, sugar, etc.
Always wondered about that.
Aside from perhaps that it is common in a certain geographical area,
does this affectionate name usage come natural?
Or is it just me that doesn't feel natural using terms of endearment?

How do others feel?

This could be another area of discussion: Pet names.
Maybe I live even further south, but, hardly anyone uses those types of names even in casual
circumstances.

I've never been one to call someone a pet name or affectionate term name.
Such as honey, darling, baby, sugar, etc.
Always wondered about that.
Aside from perhaps that it is common in a certain geographical area,
does this affectionate name usage come natural?
Or is it just me that doesn't feel natural using terms of endearment?

How do others feel?
Same, I never use pet names. It feels uncomfortable and unnatural to use them, and I don't like people using them for me either. It feels kind of patronising, even when the intent is just to be friendly.

Same, I never use pet names. It feels uncomfortable and unnatural to use them, and I don't like people using them for me either. It feels kind of patronising, even when the intent is just to be friendly.

There is a time and place for everything. For a male attorney to call me Sweetie in the middle of a deposition is patronizing and I have effective means to stop it in its tracks. However, when an elderly person calls me a term of endearment, even if I don't know them, it does not bother me at all because it is commonplace and acceptable in the South, especially in rural areas.

Don't most families have pet names for each other? I was often called Pooh or Bear by my parents, my older brother was known as Worm because he read books all the time, and my younger brother was often called Gourd (not sure why) or the Bumblebee King because he once threw a couple of live bumblebees on my older brother and his friends when they wouldn't let him play cards with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom