• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Names

Jokes aside, for better or worse it does seem to be a pattern for me personally. An ability to identify and prioritize that revolving around inanimate objects as opposed to sentient beings.

Can't help but wonder how many of us here in this community have this trait as well.

It is what it is. With or without remorse. o_O
I wonder why that is.

I am not great at names, and sometimes I get muddled if I don't know someone well and see someone similar, say at work. Also if they change their hair style and colour and I don't know them well, I may walk past them.

Does it link to the idea that we allegedly don't gravitate towards faces like wee NT infants? Should we blame our mirror neurons? Is it part of the executive function gap?

@Pats ,
I am an armchair onomast, and that helps me with (people) names to a certain degree.

If you have a reasonably large vocabulary (as I would expect from a retired? nurse), it is because each of those words has a distinctive meaning.

Most given names in the English-speaking world do not have meanings in English and are chosen for their euphonic appeal (comparable to singing scat). Without linguistically relevant meaning, they are very difficult to place in our mental filing system. It is straight rote.

What is a "Steve" or a "Debby," anyway...?

With extremely few exceptions, all of these names are words --with meanings-- from other languages. Some cultures (like Biblical Hebrew) even grab their names straight out of their own dictionaries!

I have found that studying their meanings makes them somewhat easier to remember, because they take on a distinction that they didn't have before.

Steve? "laurel-crowned;" loosely, "trophied."
Debby? "bee"

Last edited:
You know, @Crossbreed , that makes a lot of sense. Also could apply to why we see and recognize objects over faces - we know the purpose for each object. I see an object and my mind goes everywhere from where it would look best to how I would use it. People - not so much. Don't know too much about them, what to do with them, where they would fit in the best, etc. Interesting thought.

Are you letting me know already that I misspelled your name Reece? :)
I didn't even catch that!
I guess I am on auto correct. :) Actually I think it is Reese's peanut butter cup would be my whole name and I misspelled it not you.

I was always amused that Elmore Rual Torn Jr.chose to call himself "Rip Torn".

That tears it! :p

I can attach the name to the face if the face has something I will remember.

(This all happens in my head so I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings)

Just supposing I was introduced to two Simons at the same time and I had to remember which was which.

One of the Simons might have a big nose.

So it would be,
Simon who could smoke a cigarette in the shower without getting it wet,
And the other Simon.

I did a stint waiting on tables at a cafe with indoor and outdoor seating which in summer, could get really busy. (No table numbers at that time)

If I put together a feature of the person with a detail of the food they’d ordered it was easier to find them amongst the seated crowds.

I mainly used alliteration.

I find I barely retain a name unless I purposely make it meaningful to remember.

I used to be terrible with names, but since becoming a teacher I've gotten a lot better. I always could remember faces really well. I never seem to forget a face.

I'm terrible with names. I, generally, have to spend quite a bit of time with people to remember them. Even then, if I haven't seen them for an.extended period of time, I can re-forget.
My (Also) Aspie partner is also terrible, but he has the added excuse of having a brain injury.
I find it way harder to try to connect with someone if I don't remember their name.

People with the same name as me are easy, but I have a very unusual.name, so that doesn't happen often.
I even get my own children's names mxed up, and often give them generic ones, "Matey" or Bud" for some of my boys, and "Darling" or "Sweetheart" for my girl's and my quite feminine "non -binary" son.
I'm a bit weird and resistant with calling people their names in general and, mostly, avoid it if I can, like you @Pats

You know, I can remember the names of candy bars.

Mounds, Almond Joy, Payday, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Mars, Wunderbar, Mr. Big, Milky Way, Kit Kat, Caramilk, Coffee Crisp, Crunchie, Turkish Delight. My favourite was Payday. :)

Mounds, Almond Joy, Payday, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Mars, Wunderbar, Mr. Big, Milky Way, Kit Kat, Caramilk, Coffee Crisp, Crunchie, Turkish Delight. My favourite was Payday. :)
There used to be a "No Jelly", and then there's Mallow cups. I have a hard time finding Nutrageous bars. Nestle Crunch. Chunky- another favorite. And Mt Goodbar. Oh Babe Ruth

There used to be a "No Jelly", and then there's Mallow cups. I have a hard time finding Nutrageous bars. Nestle Crunch. Chunky- another favorite. And Mt Goodbar. Oh Babe Ruth
Mallo Cups, Yay!!!
I still have some of the mallo cup money floating around somewhere.
(Don't forget Caramello's)

Mallo cups are made by Boyer Candy,
In Altoona, PA, about 45 min from where I grew up!

Edit: Looked them up for grinsies...
I forgot, they make the Clark Bar, also!

Last edited:
full
(Mounds & Mr. Goodbar might have negative connotations...)

New Threads

Top Bottom