• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Names we were teased with

Yeah, that's different. You sound more like you're closer to being one of the people who do it.
Not quite. I don't normally call people names, since I never need to. In the game, it's very easy to pick on how they play (something they can change) until the break. I'm actually very calm the entire time.

Not quite. I don't normally call people names, since I never need to. In the game, it's very easy to pick on how they play (something they can change) until the break. I'm actually very calm the entire time.

It's very easy to call a person names and pick on their quirks and strange habits (something they can change) until they break and start crying in the real world too. Doesn't mean it's necessary but it's amusing, so why not?

The people doing it are always calm, in my experience, yes, I hope I didn't imply some sort of excess of emotion, they mainly seem to derive pleasure from it. Are you proud that you managed to achieve the same effect without having to utilize insults?

The people doing it are always calm, in my experience, yes, I hope I didn't imply some sort of excess of emotion, they mainly seem to derive pleasure from it. Are you proud that you managed to achieve the same effect without having to utilize insults?
Absolutely.

Loads. Every stage of childhood I was somehow different or "defective". Too pale, freckles, too "fat", too tall, developed too early, uncool clothes, acne, tomboyish. I was called some very hurtful things for each of those. Socially I was a real mess. Not just as result from bullying, I didn't have interest in playing what other kids played, didn't have interest in dolls and things like that. The few children I enjoyed were usually the "bad" boys who drew people getting blown up and being eaten by monsters who read comics and were also rejected/rejecting. Was presumed to be many things as I got into my teens and adulthood: drug user, gay, Satanist/pagan, vegetarian, promiscuous, "crazy"... things I definitely am not (maybe "crazy"). There is nothing wrong with any of those things, people can live their own lives as they like, I just can't understand why anyone would guess any of those things if they don't know me well.

Also looked down on places I have worked for working too hard, considered a "kiss ass". I just do my best and bosses tend to like that - not sure how doing my job well and not being lazy is "kiss ass". I also don't socialize or join in group mentality which does not work out in an environment with an established culture with a pecking order. So not name calling to me face per se, but hurtful situations like everyone stops talking when I enter a room. I try to be nice to everyone, but it isn't enough. I don't conform, seems like that's all that really matters to others.

This will sound depressing, but I'm kinda curious to know, has anyone else ever had someone go on a long rant filled with all the worse, most degrading things you could think of to say, just going on and on, unprovoked, as they stare you in the eyes?

I've always wondered if this is a thing some people do or if my experiences were unusual, because that's happened several times, and the thread is already pretty depressing so I thought I'd ask. :)
Unfortunately, yes. I think it's a behaviour of certain people and my guess is those people would have other dysfunctional and nasty behaviours as well. Certainly the few (luckily very few) people I have known were nasty in other ways too.

I am assuming these are people you know. I have not ever had a person I didn't already know do this to me.

Also I'd be curious to know if at the times that it happened to you whether they waited until you were somewhere that, in some way, you were a bit stuck or captive?

One person I knew who did that sort of thing would often start when on a long drive or other times when I had less ease or possibility to simply walk away - which of course is what you want to do in a situation like that.

To clarify: I don't mean I not emotional. I am just saying that despite what the common assumption of me is, I'm not in some sort of rage or triggered at my teammates when I am trolling them. I am a very emotional person and show that, just not then.

I definitely derive pleasure from it. These are grown men who are completely offended by words that I absolutely don't mean and are insecure about how they play the game. They know they could be better, despite this they will rebuke any kind of constructive criticism (which is how I start the game).

It's very easy to call a person names and pick on their quirks and strange habits (something they can change) until they break and start crying in the real world too. Doesn't mean it's necessary but it's amusing, so why not?
Again, I don't call names. Quirks and habits aren't the same as how you play a strategic, team based shooter. Although I'm not sure, it seems like you are heavily implying your disapproval. I've never had someone cry (unfortunately). The thing about this game is, although they are "stuck" with me for the entire hour match, they can both mute me, and ignore me. They personally choose not to. If they really didn't want me to push them, they would do just that.

Maybe they're not seriously bothered and just enjoy doing whatever it is they do in response. Either way, you've managed to justify it to yourself pretty thoroughly so discussing it any further is likely a waste of time.

Unfortunately, yes. I think it's a behaviour of certain people and my guess is those people would have other dysfunctional and nasty behaviours as well. Certainly the few (luckily very few) people I have known were nasty in other ways too.

I am assuming these are people you know. I have not ever had a person I didn't already know do this to me.

Also I'd be curious to know if at the times that it happened to you whether they waited until you were somewhere that, in some way, you were a bit stuck or captive?

One person I knew who did that sort of thing would often start when on a long drive or other times when I had less ease or possibility to simply walk away - which of course is what you want to do in a situation like that.

Sounds like you know exactly what I mean! All of the above--other dysfunctional behavior, people I knew, waited until "safe" times.

I'm not alone!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had to deal with a bus driver that seemed obsessed with me in 1st grade. But zero names except one that referenced behind. l went to Playland with my girlfriend in 5th grade. We had to get someone to call the police because we were being followed by older guy. I guess l had different issues. I was incredibly shy in high school and this girl called me stuck-up. I guess she took me being mute in a different way.
You were non-verbal? Sometimes that happens to me so I always want to meet other people like that. I cannot get anyone else to understand what it is like. When I can't speak, there are no words in my mind, I simply don't have words to say so I can't speak.

I've been called many names, quite often. I was fun to tease apparently, which can turn quickly into very hurtful name calling.
Which isn't limited to playground bullies, because it still goes on in my little world until just recently.
Are you an adult? I would like to know the details of how it is happening to you now. I am just telling you what I am thinking, not asking you to talk about something personal if you would prefer not to.

Again, I don't call names. Quirks and habits aren't the same as how you play a strategic, team based shooter. Although I'm not sure, it seems like you are heavily implying your disapproval. I've never had someone cry (unfortunately). The thing about this game is, although they are "stuck" with me for the entire hour match, they can both mute me, and ignore me. They personally choose not to. If they really didn't want me to push them, they would do just that.

It may be surprising to hear but you don't have to call people names to bully them. You can shame them instead, calling them out on their inadequacies and lack of skills, making them guilty, angry, defensive. When you get defensive, stepping out of a fight can be the hardest part.

But then, you know best what kind of interaction you have with other players, if it's a banter or not.

I don't know maybe weird, bit intense, intellectual, someone who is truly a real person.
I don't really recall teasing besides my one physical deficit.

When we were kids my brother came with the up name "loop-head" to call me. I don't know how he came up with such a name. Maybe he thought I was "loopy", as in idiotic or crazy.

Another time he called me an "oxymoron". I think only because of the word "moron" in it, and he didn't really know what an oxymoron really is. Or maybe he did, but I didn't at the time, which kind of makes me feel like a moron.:confused:

And yet another time he called me a "neuron". And then he explained to me what that was. I'm not sure why being called a nerve cell is supposed to be insulting. But my brother thought he was being creative by coming up with these bizarre insults.

Good old fashioned “retard”. Mostly just by my sister because they put me in special ed in first grade (and my brother and sister were put in the advanced program).
But kids at school didn’t tease me much, they just avoided me.

Ah, I just remembered a phase during which the schoolmates that didn’t ignore me called me “freakshow”. That’s what you get for being a goth at a preppy school.

Kids would just open their eyes very wide and say my name very slowly with lots of intonation and then have a good laugh.

I suppose the point was that I looked spaced out and had little intonation in my voice. Really, I never fully clued into why it was so funny time after time to so many of them.

New Threads

Top Bottom