• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nail art

tazz

V.I.P Member
Toward the end of last year I got my nails painted. I've found it ticks a lot of boxes for me... there are loads of different tools, paints and designs to collect and organise. I love the routine of prepping and painting. It's absorbing and relaxing.

The only down side is that being male and having painted nails seems to baffle most people. Sometimes I am ok with that as it gives me an excuse to let off some steam - when I'm in the right mood I purposely paint my nails bright sparkly colors. But otherwise it makes me self-conscious and I resent that. My grandmother said that men shouldn't have painted nails and even asked me to hide my hands while we were out together.

Anyway, currently, I've got a holographic sparkly design. It's in several layers and the glitter is metal - so you paint it on and then use a shaped magnet to bring the glitter to the surface and shape it, in this case like a streak of stars across a night sky. I was really pleased with the end result.

th_DSC_0056.JPG
th_DSC_0059.JPG

It is so awesome that you’re so true to yourself!! Thank you for being you.

Your nails look gorgeous. I love the color.

I could definitely use a trip to the nail salon sometime this week. Thanks for reminding me lol

My grandmother said that men shouldn't have painted nails
Times are different now. Unfortunate you still run into this.

Anyway, currently, I've got a holographic sparkly design. It's in several layers and the glitter is metal - so you paint it on and then use a shaped magnet to bring the glitter to the surface and shape it, in this case like a streak of stars across a night sky.
That sounds really cool!

I am partial to black or black and sparkly. I feel weird to not have it on. You can probably tell, I just do it on my own.

1681159588748.jpeg

Oh wow! They look amazing! :) I used to love painting my nails, though I was never as good as you are at it!

I used to get into trouble at school for painting my nails. Neither girls or boys were allowed to do it, but being a boy made it worse apparently (in case you don't know I'm non binary).

I used to like that I could do something, I guess stereotypically girly, but people would just think I was being a bit of a goth or something, or doing it ironically.

I remember the first time I bought eyeliner, when I was about 14. People responded in negative ways at times. I just liked that I could make little hints about feeling more feminine than my outward appearances suggested and not catch too much negative attention.

I think your nails look great! And they are your nails and nobody else's, you can do what you want with them :)

I hate when people try to impose "gender norms" on people. I still don't understand what gets people so riled up about it all.

You do you! :)

Times are different now. Unfortunate you still run into this.

That sounds really cool!

I am partial to black or black and sparkly. I feel weird to not have it on. You can probably tell, I just do it on my own.

View attachment 100698
Black sparkly nail polish was always my favourite too! :) I also used to paint cassette tapes and other stuff with it :)

I once had some dark green sparkly nail polish that got snapped open in my school bag and everything in it was green and sparkly! :smilecat:

Very nice fingers. You should be able to showcase your hands. I worked for an attorney who had his toe nails done. Very successful family law attorney.

Ok now show us the results of painting with your non-dominant hand

That took a bit of practice. I'm still not as neat with my non-dominant hand. It's quite frustrating. But I'm using gel paint which doesn't dry until you put it in the light box, so I find I can make a few mistakes and then go round with an orange stick or a rubber and tidy it up before curing it.

th_DSC_0061.JPG

th_DSC_0062.JPG

Nice. Is that plain black with a sparkly layer on top?
Yes. I usually go with jet black and as that starts to get a bit messy, I go for a few layers of silver sparkles. Then, start the whole process over again. One thing I love about my base layer black is that it peels off pretty easily, so I don’t even use nail polish remover anymore.

Oh, and I like your tree ring :)
Thank you! It’s made from an American quarter!

1681204674717.jpeg

I think your nails look super rad on a dude.

Nail art is awesome! I got a manicure from a nail artist a few times last year and I loved looking at it. Unfortunately I have very sensitive skin and my hands couldn’t handle the manicure, otherwise I would have kept going.

Unfortunately I have very sensitive skin and my hands couldn’t handle the manicure

I'm still learning how to go about prepping without ending up with sore fingers. You can see in the photos that the skin around the sides of a couple of nails is a bit pink. I found that investing in a good quality cuticle pusher helps. And then just going slow and careful. One of the advantages of doing it myself I guess - I can go as slow as I like and I have control over it.

New Threads

Top Bottom