• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Virgin Mobile tariff goes up considerably on the 2nd of July, I want to end the contract, can I?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

It's my own fault for not reading the "small print" on my SIM Only contract which I took out last October, I would've read it but I couldn't see it without my glasses.

So anyway, because the price is going up, and I could probably get a cheaper deal with the likes of GiffGaff who keep sending me emails, could I legally terminate the contract with Virgin Media SIM Only?

I am aware of Google and the Virgin website.

As advised previously, check your contract.

If you signed a contract at a particular cost per month, that amount should run until the end of your contract. If the price is changing within your specified contract time, you may find that you signed to allow this to happen - your contract will show either way.

If you leave within the contract period, you will be liable for the charges until the end of the contract.

As advised previously, check your contract.

If you signed a contract at a particular cost per month, that amount should run until the end of your contract. If the price is changing within your specified contract time, you may find that you signed to allow this to happen - your contract will show either way.

If you leave within the contract period, you will be liable for the charges until the end of the contract.

The original price was £12 for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 9 Gig data.

According to a text I got off Virgin last week, the price is going up "considerably", I am on benefits, I cannot afford expensive contracts, however I also cannot afford to go back on pay as you go so either way I'm stuck.

Last edited:
The original price was £12 for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 9 Gig data.

According to a text I got off Virgin last week, the price is going up "considerably", I am on benefits, I cannot afford expensive contracts, however I also cannot afford to go back on pay as you go so either way I#m stuck.

As advised previously - check your contract.

As advised previously - check your contract.

And get some reading glasses. Dioptric lenses....2.50 x or better. Wear them on top of your prescription glasses. The best way to read all that "fine print". Look for them in the cheapest of retailers.

We are in May and only at the beginning and the amount goes up in July, so yes, you can end your contract, as this is what happened to us and now we have two excellent prices to pay each month, because my husband made demands.

We are in May and only at the beginning and the amount goes up in July, so yes, you can end your contract, as this is what happened to us and now we have two excellent prices to pay each month, because my husband made demands.
Not every contract allows you to just end it, though. Many give you a fixed price provided you sign on for a year or two years. In those cases getting out earlier is either not allowed or costs you. But, once more, Rich’s contract will state whether or not he can just cancel.

Not every contract allows you to just end it, though. Many give you a fixed price provided you sign on for a year or two years. In those cases getting out earlier is either not allowed or costs you. But, once more, Rich’s contract will state whether or not he can just cancel.

Agreed. Most SIM only contracts have at the very least a 12 month period in which you cannot cancel (without paying the remainder of the contract). My current contract is SIM only, with the contracted period being 12 months. That period is up, so now it is a rolling month to month contract and I still need to give 30 days notice to leave without penalty.

Gotta love most any cell phone provider's contract that stipulates a termination fee. :eek:

Last edited:
Without just saying "Google it", does anyone know the UK customer service number for Virgin? I think it's something like 789 from my Virgin phone but I'm not certain.

Well I rang 'em up earlier on 789. and as I was trying to explain who I was and the nature of my call, they hung up on me! WTF?! I wasn't shouting or getting mad with them (not by my standards anyway) so why?!

I will Google the landline number and try and call them.

Yes, I do actually know how to use Google.

Last edited:
From looking at any number of articles online, it appears Virgin Media "plays hardball" when it come to their "exit fees" over early termination of their contracts. Nothing remarkable about that, except this carrier has been doing it even when a longtime customer moves to an area where they can't receive a Virgin Media signal. Imagine an example which actually happened. A customer being with Virgin Media for 18 years and still getting charged £240 in early exit fees. Ouch.

Apparently some are fighting such charges and succeeding, but again that's only relative to a customer moving locations. I suspect to tell customer service that you simply can no longer afford the increased charges probably doesn't matter to them. Sounds like they are pretty busy having to field complaints relative to customers who changed locations who can no longer use Virgin Media. Which may be why they simply hung up on you.

So yeah, depending on how much time you have left on your contract, it looks like you could be charged a whopping penalty in exit fees with these guys.

From looking at any number of articles online, it appears Virgin Media "plays hardball" when it come to their "exit fees" over early termination of their contracts. Nothing remarkable about that, except this carrier has been doing it even when a longtime customer moves to an area where they can't receive a Virgin Media signal. Imagine an example which actually happened. A customer being with Virgin Media for 18 years and still getting charged £240 in early exit fees. Ouch.

Apparently some are fighting such charges and succeeding, but again that's only relative to a customer moving locations. I suspect to tell customer service that you simply can no longer afford the increased charges probably doesn't matter to them. Sounds like they are pretty busy having to field complaints relative to customers who changed locations who can no longer use Virgin Media. Which may be why they simply hung up on you.

So yeah, depending on how much time you have left on your contract, it looks like you could be charged a whopping penalty in exit fees with these guys.

Well as of around the end of next week there'd be about 4 and half months left at £12 a month I think.

New Threads

Top Bottom