• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

my rules of flirting

ChrisC1983

granted this is specific just to me.. but it may apply to others and could be helpful for NT or even other aspie people to "read" people similar to myself

anyway...... i can't initiate.. anything. i'll respond to a person talking without a problem. ask me a question or for my opinion or something direct like that? answer received, no issues. but i can't walk up to somebody and talk about any topic for any reason

that's not to say i'm rude...... if i see somebody i know (or don't but it's a 1st meeting sort of thing) i can ask stuff like "how are you?" level things. if the person says "bad, my back has been hurting me lately" then i can go on about that.. "what's wrong with your back?" and suggestions/advice to help. but if they say "i'm ok"... then thats it, i'm done talking until they say something directed towards me.

now, if i kind of like the person.. i might follow up with a 2nd question or comment.. maybe something like "did you have fun yesterday?" (if they went out yesterday) or "omg this heat is terrible isn't it?" with a couple blips and blurbs to follow..... i imagine that is the level that somebody would ask somebody out on a date (somewhat unfamiliar with them but you know you have a mutual interest and are both single)

now, if i skip the basic "how are you" and go right to "how is your mother? i know you said she was sick last week... is she feeling any better?" then i'm basically at a point (maybe not exactly, but very very close) where if you ask me to move in with you, i'm going to seriously consider it if not just jump at the chance. even if we've never dated or really even hung out outside of whatever situation we usually meet (lets say coworkers) and if i know enough about your past to be sure you fit in my screwed up strict morality bubble, i can pretty much get married on the spot

i can still talk to people at the same level... if somebody tells me their mother is sick and i give a hell about that person, i'll remember it and ask (but it will probably be something i need to be reminded of... be it directly or indirectly. so, you mentioning your sick mother or maybe some random whoever calling some other random whoever "one sick mother F'er".. clicking "sick" and "mother" in my brain while i'm talking to that person).... but if they don't fit in that morality bubble or they're too young/old or a guy (since i'm straight) or they're dating somebody then i'm guaranteed to not have interest in them. if they are single, and female, and around my age and fit in my morality bubble (and at this point it's hypothetical because i rarely meet anybody who fits in that bubble) but for some reason or another i don't like them... as i said, in this case i need to be reminded of their mother. because although i do care, it's not a focus of mine.. whereas if i like them, it is

of course the only way to notice ANY of that is with a 3rd party pointing it out (which is why i'm typing this, since clearly from a direct standpoint it's just "normal" chatting for many people) or (again, hypothetical and based on the attention the girl was giving to my before) if she started out at that "how are you?" level and took a few months to see me gradually talk to her more and bring up specific topics while not doing that with other people. but even in that case, it's still probably going to register as a "does he like me or is he just being nice?" since the difference is subtle

just figured i'd jot it out... i was going to bed and it popped in my head. i've been annoyed with myself for a while because how that whole thing works even annoys me. but i can't "fix" it because any other way doesn't seem right to me. i can go slow or fast with it, but the steps still end up the same.

Not sure where the flirting comes into play here lol but you have just described me 100% If I feel relatively comfortable with someone, I can just about go up and initiate the conversation, but sometimes if there is a couple of people with him or her ( mostly her) I find there is an invisible string pulling back and I feel myself shrinking!

Oh certainly, I can ask simply things but if the response is yes or no, I find myself floundering for what to say next and smile weakly and mumble something and escape.

I am dreadful to ones I perceive do not like me; it feels like a wall is up and I just cannot break it down! But as soon as I get a smile and welcoming: hey Suzanne, suddenly that wall comes down!

Sadly, I am excellent at flirting but only ever if it is in response. I do not rate myself that high to ever initiate the "wink, wink" but when a guy shows he likes me, unfortunately, I am full on and yes, years of subconscious training, because I used to be hopeless and it would be others saying: wow, did you not see he is trying to flirt with you? But now, I am only too keenly aware of it!

Same here. I guess, for us, that we want to initiate a conversation with someone, could be assumed as flirting but the NTs don't notice that, because surely they use to behave more talkative than us, so they don't notice we are being talkative as a sign of an extra interest from us to them.

I don't normally initiate conversation, when I do is formality, and also if the answers are short I run out of what to ask next so I remain quiet or ask some common topic, like class related stuff or something.
For some reason there's other people that I've clicked with easily, and we would tell jokes and be funny. I can't explain why that happened, but it did.

Suzanne yeah.. as i said, it's confusing. like illud mentioned, for others (NTs mainly, but not always) being at a level of socializing that they're at with everybody, is where i'm ready to move in. i don't have a typical "you look really cute" kind of "flirting".. it just goes by my level of social activity. which can be horrific since for most people that is just a normal level of socializing and a "normal" person would just see me as being fine with no inclination of anything more. whereas somebody who knows that i'm highly anti social and don't really talk much with people or talk about personal topics may realize that there is something going on because i'm acting very unusual for me.

of course it's easy to see how it can cause problems for me as well. since that's also how i perceive interest. so telling me i look nice, i'm sweet, i'm funny or things like that (something more "typical" of flirting) doesn't register to me. i don't see it as flirting (even saying this now.. to indicate that i'm aware that's how flirting works. actively, i don't see it.. i need to reflect later on the situation to even question the possibility) and i don't know how to take a compliment so i always act in a negative way. that's not to say i get mad when people say i look nice, but i do assume they're saying it just to be polite (or because they want me to do something) so even if i can push out an automated "thanks", it's.. well... automated sounding. i grew up surrounded by double sided compliments. so any time i got a compliment, it was actually a bad thing. like one of those "no offense but....." type of things, knowing full well that what you say will be taken offensively.................. and somebody who is simply capable of having a "normal" level of social interaction throws me all off because i can't figure out if they like me or that is just how they are. i mention it because i know (or believe) it's happening currently. i'm aware i'm interested in the person because of how i'm talking with them, but i don't believe they realize it and i don't believe they're interested in me..... but there again, i don't know they well enough from a 3rd party perspective so if they are similar to me (they talk with me a lot when they do talk to me, some personal things and such) to say that since they're talking to me in a similar way they're interested as well........ so i have myself in a spiral of self annoyance and pity
and i don't want to ask directly because (well, i just don't want to anyway but also..) i don't want to screw up a friendship because i know i need one and i think i'm atleast a good friend of theirs (i'm also a professional at friendzoning myself lol) and if i am wrong and they don't like me that way i could make the whole situation weird and they'll flake away

There are so many threads about 'flirting.' I think
my idea of what that means is not the way the word
is used in the threads.

Some definitions of the word "FLIRT"

1. (intr) to behave or act amorously without emotional commitment; toy or play with another's affections; dally
2. (usually foll by: with) to deal playfully or carelessly (with something dangerous or serious); trifle: the motorcyclist flirted with death.
3. (usually foll by: with) to think casually (about); toy (with): to flirt with the idea of leaving.
4. (intr) to move jerkily; dart; flit
5. (tr) to subject to a sudden swift motion; flick or toss
n
6. a person who acts flirtatiously
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/flirt

To me 'flirting' is a superficial and false way of communicating
with another person. I wouldn't use the word "flirt" to describe
the activity of engaging the interest of another person, not if
I were the person indicating interest.

Suzanne yeah.. as i said, it's confusing. like illud mentioned, for others (NTs mainly, but not always) being at a level of socializing that they're at with everybody, is where i'm ready to move in. i don't have a typical "you look really cute" kind of "flirting".. it just goes by my level of social activity. which can be horrific since for most people that is just a normal level of socializing and a "normal" person would just see me as being fine with no inclination of anything more. whereas somebody who knows that i'm highly anti social and don't really talk much with people or talk about personal topics may realize that there is something going on because i'm acting very unusual for me.

of course it's easy to see how it can cause problems for me as well. since that's also how i perceive interest. so telling me i look nice, i'm sweet, i'm funny or things like that (something more "typical" of flirting) doesn't register to me. i don't see it as flirting (even saying this now.. to indicate that i'm aware that's how flirting works. actively, i don't see it.. i need to reflect later on the situation to even question the possibility) and i don't know how to take a compliment so i always act in a negative way. that's not to say i get mad when people say i look nice, but i do assume they're saying it just to be polite (or because they want me to do something) so even if i can push out an automated "thanks", it's.. well... automated sounding. i grew up surrounded by double sided compliments. so any time i got a compliment, it was actually a bad thing. like one of those "no offense but....." type of things, knowing full well that what you say will be taken offensively.................. and somebody who is simply capable of having a "normal" level of social interaction throws me all off because i can't figure out if they like me or that is just how they are. i mention it because i know (or believe) it's happening currently. i'm aware i'm interested in the person because of how i'm talking with them, but i don't believe they realize it and i don't believe they're interested in me..... but there again, i don't know they well enough from a 3rd party perspective so if they are similar to me (they talk with me a lot when they do talk to me, some personal things and such) to say that since they're talking to me in a similar way they're interested as well........ so i have myself in a spiral of self annoyance and pity
and i don't want to ask directly because (well, i just don't want to anyway but also..) i don't want to screw up a friendship because i know i need one and i think i'm atleast a good friend of theirs (i'm also a professional at friendzoning myself lol) and if i am wrong and they don't like me that way i could make the whole situation weird and they'll flake away
If you like them, just figure out a way which you are comfortable with, to tell them you enjoy talking with them. You can save questions for a future time, if they still seem interested in talking with you. (?) Hope that seems reasonable, I wish you well.

Flirting...I'm not careless, but I am playful. Flirting is a form of play, a play at love, a what-if our feelings are mutual, what-if our values are mutual. It doesn't have to have the heartless connotation that some give it...although, badly used, it has earned it, sadly.

If you like them, just figure out a way which you are comfortable with, to tell them you enjoy talking with them. You can save questions for a future time, if they still seem interested in talking with you. (?) Hope that seems reasonable, I wish you well.

it's not so much that I "like" them, it's just an unchangeable part of me. like if you have naturally curly hair. you can straighten it all you want, go out, meet somebody... but somewhere along the line you're going to decide not to spend 3 hours straightening your hair and just show up with a crazy afro and shock the hell out of everybody. and even as unimportant at hair style should be, look at how many magazines and such are around.. it still could become a big problem.

it is reasonable, I can talk to people so long as I have a topic and a comfortable setting. but I will friendzone myself (and I know I do it) because unless I know they "fit" into that system or atleast I have a very good idea that they most likely will.. I'm really not interested in them. even if they're the most attractive person I've ever met and they seem interested in me (hell, for argument sake.. lets say they even outright say it to me.. so there's no confusion)..... at best, I'm still on the fence about the whole thing until I can figure out how they fit in my moral system

and with how things are today.. everybody says they want to go from friends to dating but they always skip over the whole friend part. even if the girl doesn't notice it, the guy is hitting on her from sentence 3

it's not so much that I "like" them, it's just an unchangeable part of me. like if you have naturally curly hair. you can straighten it all you want, go out, meet somebody... but somewhere along the line you're going to decide not to spend 3 hours straightening your hair and just show up with a crazy afro and shock the hell out of everybody. and even as unimportant at hair style should be, look at how many magazines and such are around.. it still could become a big problem.

it is reasonable, I can talk to people so long as I have a topic and a comfortable setting. but I will friendzone myself (and I know I do it) because unless I know they "fit" into that system or atleast I have a very good idea that they most likely will.. I'm really not interested in them. even if they're the most attractive person I've ever met and they seem interested in me (hell, for argument sake.. lets say they even outright say it to me.. so there's no confusion)..... at best, I'm still on the fence about the whole thing until I can figure out how they fit in my moral system

and with how things are today.. everybody says they want to go from friends to dating but they always skip over the whole friend part. even if the girl doesn't notice it, the guy is hitting on her from sentence 3
Having chosen to be alone (and raise my kids myself) and turned down several people for the majority of the last 12 years, I think I understand.

it really is one of those "you need to live it" sort of things. obviously there's an added level with kids in the mix (kudos btw.. it's certainly not easy)

i'm never really able to explain it well to "normal" people. not just NT but anybody with a relatively "normal" way of looking at dating or relationships. most people look at dating as a way to learn about somebody and figure out if they want to be with them or not.. i dont like that whole process. either i want to, or not. and until i know i want to be with somebody.. i dont want to be with them. i don't do well with regret in any form for any topic and i can't live my life under the basis of "it's better to do something you regret than to never have done it at all".... it's easier for me to brush off the regret of not doing something at all than to do something i did or should have known i didn't want to do

I still can't pick up whether someone is flirting with me.

I can kinda tell when others are flirting but I'm not very good at deciphering the "codes".

Even though I'm married I look back at what some people have done and realised years later, oh my god, they were totally flirting with me.

I'm smart in some ways and really dumb in others.

I'm married so I can't really do it anymore, but when I was single I found throwing pebbles and dirt clods at the one I liked an effective method.

;)

I still can't pick up whether someone is flirting with me.

I can kinda tell when others are flirting but I'm not very good at deciphering the "codes".

Even though I'm married I look back at what some people have done and realised years later, oh my god, they were totally flirting with me.

I'm smart in some ways and really dumb in others.
atleast you're married so eventhough it's a problem.. it's not still a "problem" (found somebody).. i finally realized how i always "friendzone" myself but i can't really change it within my own moral system. i don't go out enough to even know if i was ever hit on but i know i can't tell it over the internet. so either nobody has hit on me or i didn't notice one bit if somebody ever did. even looking back, i have no idea.

God, it's confusing. I am married true Chris (and still in love and pinching myself that I found someone who actually appears to love me). Like warts and all ... Well, maybe not warts (re. Warts, I don't okay, just to be clear).

I think I'm dealing with becoming older and losing whatever I had in my younger days. It's nice being wanted. I have great memories of being wanted ... Lots.

I guess I liked that and as I'm married and have been for a long time I can't help but wonder about the what ifs.

What if I'd taken up the offers (this occurred a lot during my married life). I was tempted that much as I am really attracted to my wife ... You can hear the but coming can't you.

Argghh! Sex drive is pretty strong in my being right now. The good wife isn't as keen as I still am.

This is probably the wrong thread for this.

Anyway, back to flirting; I want to know/want to remember how to pick up on the girl flirting with the guy signals so I can nip it in the bud so to speak. To stop myself getting tempted by other women. The context is that I am working out to stay healthy. It's obviously working well because I feel like I get interest from women at work and they're hot as.

I don't want to destroy my life by being tempted to have an affair.

There, that's it. Why couldn't I say that at the start?!

Any advice much appreciate; the more direct the better.

there's always things that people want to do in life.. sadly many of them are ideas that come too late. it's like the same idea that a person only realizes what they have when it's gone... as you age, you realize things are gone and wish you could have experienced them. even if it's just you becoming lactose intolerant and realizing you never tried a strawberry milkshake.

some say it's better to do something and just regret it later.... for me, i can't live with regret. i have a lot of scientifically based interest in things like what you're referring to but no actual interest so if i ever did any of it the regret it caused would just crush me.

i'm never one to break up a marriage.... i have a fairly high sex drive but appear asexual to everybody because if i don't have an emotional connection to them, i don't have a sexual interest in them (outside of science reasons).. so i've been single for about 10yrs and i'm one of those guys who wanted to get married and live with somebody since before i was a teen (well, i didn't and still don't believe in marriage.. i mean "just find 1 person and stay with them forever" when i say it) so i would sacrifice having sex often if it was somebody i loved enough to be with. thats not to say the other people wouldn't be fun in their own way and maybe could turn into a marriage level situation. but if that was my only problem with the woman i was with was an overall lack of sex i would just see what i could do to get her to want to have sex more often. i know it wouldn't be as often as i would like, but any increase would be better

Tom, I just read your post that I actually like again but can't double-like.

Awesome ... I'm laughing out loud.

New Threads

Top Bottom