• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Obsession(s)

I absolutely love History, particularly the victorian era. I love the change we saw from the start with a agricultural based economy, to the end where it was more industrial based. We saw people moving from the farms to the cities, in hope for a better life, but not usually turned out that way!

Kids education became a thing towards the end of the period, with all kids from the 1890s up until the age of 10 to get a state education for the first time. Technology as well! Electricity, the railways became a thing! So much interesting things

I absolutely love History, particularly the victorian era. I love the change we saw from the start with a agricultural based economy, to the end where it was more industrial based. We saw people moving from the farms to the cities, in hope for a better life, but not usually turned out that way!

Kids education became a thing towards the end of the period, with all kids from the 1890s up until the age of 10 to get a state education for the first time. Technology as well! Electricity, the railways became a thing! So much interesting things
I’m actually fascinated by Victorian fashion and some of their technology and music boxes. Some of the music boxes are huge and are probably close to the size of a grandfather clock and have intricate moving pieces such as dancing dolls and a tiny drum that actually beats to the music.

I’m actually fascinated by Victorian fashion and some of their technology and music boxes. Some of the music boxes are huge and are probably close to the size of a grandfather clock and have intricate moving pieces such as dancing dolls and a tiny drum that actually beats to the music.

Yeah, a lot of people smart in those days, most of their men even the smaller kids, wore suits and bowler hats, all the middle upper class ones anyway.

The telephone is one of the interesting inventions from that period, 1870s I believe, and seeing the old, victorian telephones, are fascinating

I have a bio lab in my living room - I'm all science-y, but not formally a scientist. But I love growing things that are tricky to grow, and will burn your ears off in a one-sided discussion of organic gardening techniques.

I also have a thing for mechanical devices. Give me a broken gearbox and I'll give you back a functional device. But not until I've learned the entire history of the invention of the gearbox, 'cause that's how I am.

One of my closest friends could fix anything worked at a university physics lab-maintained lab equipment and assisted students in performing experiments. I believe he was one of us he passed away a few years ago.

Music is my biggest obsession!

I grew up surrounded by it since I was a baby, my aunt would play classical music to help me fall asleep and every trip to visit my grandmother my adoptive parents would play cassette tapes of music that my aunt recorded for them.

Three of my great uncles from my mother's side sing, and one of them even toured and recorded an album that I will share some day.

My grandfather from my adoptive mother's side also loved music, and he was a musical library, he remembered songs by writer, year of release and all the artists that sang it.

I also play some music and sing but, nowadays, I just listen to it because it's very hard to find a doom metal band in this town and I sold my bass a long time ago to buy alcohol. I do have a couple acoustic songs that I've written, but they're silly. I have a very wide variety of genres that I really enjoy

I was also relentlessly bullied in school and abused at home (I was forced into being normal by my nparents) so my safe space were my headphones and my music. If it weren't for it I wouldn't be alive right now. Music saved my life and i'll always be thankful to her

Afternoon folks,

Thought i'd create this thread in case anybody would like to share their obsessions and give us a little bit of background info.

-Chris
my obsessions are books, art and drawing, plushies and I often get stuck on one specific one, loud dance music, clothes, dancing especially ballet, cooking amd baking especially healthy eating, journalling, yoga and meditation, altruism, ethical products and taking care of the planet, horses and animals, makeup, I really love intellectual conversation, taking photography.

My current big obsessions include Autism research, and Youtube documentaries. And some of my smaller obsessions include peanut butter, watercolors, pen and ink art, and stuffed animals. I'd call my Autism obsession a special interest, and the rest are random interesting things. Peanut butter is basically my favorite food, and I kind of hoard/collect stuffed animals. My bed has been taken over by cute, plush creatures!
I love peanut butter too and I brought some hazelnut spread which I'm worried about
I love stuffed animals too but I can never part from one or two specific ones sometimes and if you have too many they overtake the bed and I do not want to be lying next to too many plushies I need my space.
I live them though I used to love bright ones but I am really having an animal moment. My horse one I am stuck on. The animal ones you can get are so cute

I love machines that are both simple and complex (1890s geared apple peeling/coding devices are wild), anything that grows (veggies, interesting weeds, odd flowers, fungi), and small animals (as a child I was obsessed with frogs, salamanders, turtles, lizards... Dinosaurs not so much except that back then they were considered reptiles. Now they are just big chickens).

LOL - I already posted here. I'm such a goof!

I do tend to hyperfixate on foods and drinks for a certain amount of time. My 8 month long obsession with sushi just ended two weeks ago and my current drink obsession is red Powerade which has lasted 3 weeks now. I do also hyperfixate/ develop an obsession with people as well. It could be with someone I spoke to once or have never even met. The hyper-fixation can last for a week or longer and then I will eventually get over it.

Hello. There's three main friendly obsessions, I've developed since my childhood.
Signs (symbols, numbers, letters -> words -> languages). Unfortunately I'm not able to learn any language well enough, because my stupid brain and the "filter of my logic" switches on in the most unwanted moments and sometimes, it's really :rage::rage::rage: annoying!) and sounds (accents! :hearteyes:).
Music (as a GenX-er who was growing up in the 80s, I've been strongly fascinated with the technology that changed making music forever, so I'm obsessed with analog and digital synths as well, because I love electronic music). :hearteyes:
Computers (especially 16-bit). When I was a teenager, I had a Commodore Amiga 500 computer, and I've been fascinating with the Amiga computer scene productions since then.

Besides I like books, manga, anime, movies, video games, and I've been interested in watching how people react to the songs on YT, which is very funny to watch quite often, or just fascinating.

Video games, conspiracy theories in general - my favourite are ones relating to ancient aliens, history especially ancient history. Love tattoos and the art of tattooing. Also interested in blade and armour making (contemplating doing a knife making course to see if I have any aptitude for it). Cats. Was obsessed with sailing when younger.

New Threads

Top Bottom