• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My language is too mean?

I have no idea of the origins or how they arrived with this phrase, I'm just used to it being used all my life.

It translates as "now everything makes sense".

I have no idea of the origins or how they arrived with this phrase, I'm just used to it being used all my life.

It translates as "now everything makes sense".
Ah. I guessed wrong. I thought maybe it meant something like “the secret is out“ like someone was hiding a penny in their pocket and it fell out through their trousers.

I honestly have no idea, but I imagine something like putting a penny in a drinks machine and it gets stuck half way down, you'd kick and punch the machine until your penny dropped and you'd get your drink.

There's dozens of thee sorts of phrases and I never figured out a lot of them but if you hear people using them often enough you soon pick up the context.

People wearing their heart on their sleeve? No idea.

Ah. I guessed wrong. I thought maybe it meant something like “the secret is out“ like someone was hiding a penny in their pocket and it fell out through their trousers.

The penny is out of the bag :) I find cliches grating, but malapropisms are pretty fun. Good guess.

Outdated, you were nearly spot on.

The phrase was coined in the 1930s in the British publication of The Daily Mirror. The allusion was made to machines that required a penny to operate. Sometimes the coin would be stuck and someone would wait for the penny to drop for the machine to work.

It's pointless to belittle people. I tend to become agitated with certain types of people, so l only call them idiots in my car, not publicly, because we all have bad days, which leads to misunderstandings. Being diplomatic is sorta of a pleaser type behavior however, people will have more respect for you if you can rise beyond the banter of insults.

My mother really did mix some of my medicine with sugar.
Crushed pills and gave them to me in a spoonful of sugar.

I used to eat the lumps out of the sugar bowl when I was a child.

I don't use sugar any more.

=============================================
I have never seen anyone write or heard anyone say anything about
pennies dropping until today.

I am familiar with the one about the other shoe dropping, though.

People consider me to be very rude, and I got banned from blenderartists for this. It's like I don't know some rules of the universe. Like I say you are dumb and some instructions, they get angry. Couldn't you ask me for further info, no just get angry and ban.

I can't detect tone. If, I say something like this (sunlight) reminds me of my very tall cousin. My grandpa took it as an insult to "his kids", no that's your grandchildren. What is this law of the Universe? Also, as a child I didn't understand jokes until Middle School, when I tried deeply thinking on them.
What I've learned to use, as a general rule, is if I wouldn't want it said/done to me, then the chances are excellent that it's the same for others. Even if you think they are dumb, it's best to keep it to yourself, because words hurt. I used to have your issue as well, so I'm not judging or anything, but you have to understand (as I did), that people don't deserve to be hurt or torn down because they aren't on your level.

Actually in talking to someone, start off with the something good that you like about them, then carefully deliver your criticism as constructive and helpful.

If I were to swallow a sugar "chaser" after some liquid medicine, I'm afraid it all would come back up.

Though it would be amusing to hear Julie Andrews put that to a song. In a most delightful way, of course. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom