• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My elementary school is celebrating Light it up Blue day. How should I deal with this?

Cinnamon115

I'm doing an independent study at an elementary school. The kindergarten teacher I'm with told me that on April 2nd they are asking everyone to wear blue for light it up blue day. Each class is decorating puzzles pieces to be hung in the main area of the school. I told her that I did not want to wear blue and she said that's fine. But the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. I don't think the school is too much aware of how most people on the spectrum feel about light it up blue day, and I don't think they mean to be offensive. But how am I going to deal with it on monday when I walk in and everyone is wearing blue and those puzzle pieces are on display? I don't want to get anyone the school angry, I just want them to know how I feel. But how do I do that? I was planning on wearing red, but any other suggestions?

Stand your ground by being a "no-show" that day.

Best way to send a message to adults that manifestations of the organization "Autism Speaks" does not speak for you. By physically not being a part of it at all on that particular day.

Otherwise you'll no doubt be questioned by children who aren't prepared to intellectually comprehend your dissent on this issue. Something I'd think you want to avoid at all costs.

I'd like to stay home, but today is my second day off due to being sick, and I don;t want to take another day off so soon.

I'd like to stay home, but today is my second day off due to being sick, and I don;t want to take another day off so soon.

If you could contain your dissent exclusively to the instructor there's a lot of material you could impress upon them. But it's the kids that will trip you up likely noticing that you aren't wearing blue that day. They aren't likely to understand the significance of an organization that actually represents the interests of Neurotypical parents of autistic children as opposed to the interests of autistic people themselves.

That it is not the same as advocating for autistic adults. Or that we are people- not "puzzles". Nor do we need to be "cured" or stamped out as some kind of disease. That this point of view remains toxic to most autistic adults. Certainly most of us in this community, IMO.

To impress upon them not metaphors like puzzles, but rather basic concepts of tolerance, understanding and ultimately social acceptance in that order. A message that well, strikes me as being difficult to deliver to Kindergartner aged children.

Last edited:
I may be able to explain it as "some autistic people prefer to wear red instead of blue on this day." I can't remember if all of the staff members can wear blue, or if the students can as well. I think it's just the staff.

I may be able to explain it as "some autistic people prefer to wear red instead of blue on this day.

Purely from a small child's perspective, I feel compelled to ask you this question:

"BUT WHY ?????????????????????????"

Kids being the inquisitive little ones they so often are. ;)

I'd be willing to be that people will be wearing their usual range of colors. The school may be promoting blue, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to go along. Some may not even have anything blue to wear. Or not like blue.

You might have overlooked an opportunity if all you said was that you didn't want to wear blue. It was a potential "teaching" moment, even if it was only with that one teacher.

Is the school planning to include some kind of classroom lessons or information about autism as part of that day? What do they plan to tell the kids? Does the school also have special days for other kinds of people or just for ASD? It sounds like a terrible idea. Just stay home if possible. If you really can't stay home, just keep a low profile at school. If anyone asks you questions or makes comments, could you hand them a short written statement about ASD or refer them to a website to learn more?

I like the day as it brings awareness to Autism. Still you don't have to wear a particular color on this day to be aware of Autism. Also it would be better if they taught kids about Autism and different things about it than have them wear a color.

I’m seriously puzzled by all these days where you have to wear a specific color to school and/or work to support a cause. I never heard of any of these until I read about it online. My country doesn’t participate in these things, as far as I’m aware. Guess it’s an American thing?

I'm a teacher and I teach kids of this age. Kids this age more likely to speak out, pass comment or ask why if they see something different, and I do get kids asking me, why don't I do this, or like that, because they think that because most people do something, that everybody has to do it. A student asked me why I wasn't celebrating woman's day, and I told her that celebrating it was optional, not obligatory, that means that people celebrate it if they want to and don't have to, and if they don't want to, then that's ok. If it were an older kid, I would say that I experience being a woman every day and I don't need a special day to remind myself of the fact, or to remember that half the planet's population are women and that they have equal rights, etc.

Sometimes they ask me why I do something or don't do something they think I should be doing, or why I am like this or like that, and I just say "because that's the way I am" or "because that's how I was made". I don't have to justify myself, why I am as I am, people are all different and that's that. It's good for kids to realise that people are all different and that we don't always have to do things just because everyone else is doing them, we have a choice to do them or not to do them, there are all sorts of different people on the planet with different opinions, lifestyles, etc and that's ok.

So, I would just go as you are, wear whatever colour you want, and if any kid does ask you why you aren't wearing blue, just say that wearing blue is optional, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to, you prefer red to be for autism, and anyway, that's what autism awareness is about - being accepted as different and not feeling shame for being different - that you are different because you are wearing red instead of blue, and you are proud to do so, people being different should be accepted and not judged and that is how you choose to raise awareness for autism.

Guess it’s an American thing?

It is indeed. :(

A social occasion that ironically reflects a type of social conformity, something that well....often toxic to many of us on the spectrum given our inherent problems in conforming to a majority of society while we remain a distinct neurological minority. :eek:

Too bad she couldn't use this as a basis for a discussion of some of the obstacles in society autistic people must deal with that Neurotypicals often take for granted. In this respect showing up not wearing blue might also help emphasize that we are different, but not necessarily deficient.

I'm doing an independent study at an elementary school. The kindergarten teacher I'm with told me that on April 2nd they are asking everyone to wear blue for light it up blue day. Each class is decorating puzzles pieces to be hung in the main area of the school. I told her that I did not want to wear blue and she said that's fine. But the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. I don't think the school is too much aware of how most people on the spectrum feel about light it up blue day, and I don't think they mean to be offensive. But how am I going to deal with it on monday when I walk in and everyone is wearing blue and those puzzle pieces are on display? I don't want to get anyone the school angry, I just want them to know how I feel. But how do I do that? I was planning on wearing red, but any other suggestions?
Hi, I am new to all this. May I ask how or why folks are uncomfortable with the public wanting to gain acceptance and understanding of autism in this way? I have sensory processing disorders, and am self diagnosed aspie. Yet, this is all new to me. I don’t understand “most people on the spectrum feel about light it up blue day.” I would appreciate someone being patient and kind enough to explain it. How would folks want the public to learn about Autism, and therefore gain more acceptance and education about it?

It is indeed. :(

A social occasion that ironically reflects a type of social conformity, something that well....often toxic to many of us on the spectrum given our inherent problems in conforming to a majority of society while we remain a distinct neurological minority. :eek:

Too bad she couldn't use this as a basis for a discussion of some of the obstacles in society autistic people must deal with that Neurotypicals often take for granted. In this respect showing up not wearing blue might also help emphasize that we are different, but not necessarily deficient.
Oh, I just posted a question, but I see that you feel that it’s all about “conformity” rather then spreading awareness to society. Could you share ideas in better ways to educate society to what the autism spectrum is overall?

I'm a teacher and I teach kids of this age. Kids this age more likely to speak out, pass comment or ask why if they see something different, and I do get kids asking me, why don't I do this, or like that, because they think that because most people do something, that everybody has to do it. A student asked me why I wasn't celebrating woman's day, and I told her that celebrating it was optional, not obligatory, that means that people celebrate it if they want to and don't have to, and if they don't want to, then that's ok. If it were an older kid, I would say that I experience being a woman every day and I don't need a special day to remind myself of the fact, or to remember that half the planet's population are women and that they have equal rights, etc.

Sometimes they ask me why I do something or don't do something they think I should be doing, or why I am like this or like that, and I just say "because that's the way I am" or "because that's how I was made". I don't have to justify myself, why I am as I am, people are all different and that's that. It's good for kids to realise that people are all different and that we don't always have to do things just because everyone else is doing them, we have a choice to do them or not to do them, there are all sorts of different people on the planet with different opinions, lifestyles, etc and that's ok.

So, I would just go as you are, wear whatever colour you want, and if any kid does ask you why you aren't wearing blue, just say that wearing blue is optional, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to, you prefer red to be for autism, and anyway, that's what autism awareness is about - being accepted as different and not feeling shame for being different - that you are different because you are wearing red instead of blue, and you are proud to do so, people being different should be accepted and not judged and that is how you choose to raise awareness for autism.
Beautifully said! Might you have any ideas for HOW to raise awareness in a global sort of manner, though?

They aren't likely to understand the significance of an organization that actually represents the interests of Neurotypical parents of autistic children as opposed to the interests of autistic people themselves.

That it is not the same as advocating for autistic adults. Or that we are people- not "puzzles". Nor do we need to be "cured" or stamped out as some kind of disease. That this point of view remains toxic to most autistic adults. Certainly most of us in this community, IMO.

Thank you for expanding knowledge. How, in a perfect world would you promote the interests of autistic people rather than their parents? I had no idea there was such animosity towards public campaigns to promote autism awareness.

Thank you for expanding knowledge. How, in a perfect world would you promote the interests of autistic people rather than their parents? I had no idea there was such animosity towards public campaigns to promote autism awareness.

It ultimately depends on those who may actually be behind such events. You might consider perusing this site to get a better "feel" for our collective sentiment regarding "Autism Speaks". Also to compare such organizations to actual advocate networks like the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN).

It's true that not every person on the spectrum is capable of being a public relations marvel for the cause of autism. However neither does it mean we are so incapable as to have to exclusively rely on the perception of certain organizations who may not ultimately have our best interest in mind, but rather their own whether in whole or in part. A scenario which unfortunately from time to time may well reflect the gap between those which primarily support Neurotypical parents of autistic children, versus organizations which operate as advocacy groups for autistic people, particularly autistic adults.

If Neurotypicals want to truly help, they must fully acknowledge that autistic children grow up to become autistic adults. To drop any notion of some future "cure", or the implication that we are a disease to be eliminated through science. To treat us as being different, without implying that we are overtly deficient. Something IMO cannot be sufficiently accomplished when organizations like "Autism Speaks" promote such events. Besides, we require tolerance, understanding and support seven days a week. Not one day every year. In a metaphorical sense this sends a very poor message to children in such an impressionable age group.

And then there's that example of this event as a manifestation of social conformity and the tyranny of a majority, which isn't such a hot message to convey to kids as well. One hidden in the benevolent appearance of asking people to wear the same colored clothing to make a statement which may or may not reflect any real sense of conviction. Though admittedly a lesson in political philosophy far too advanced for Kindergartners.

In essence, to deliver and spread such an important message to such an impressionable target audience should involve the expertise of advocates of autism rather than be promoted by those who tend to treat us as a childhood disease to be conquered. That "Autism Speaks" does not speak for me- or you.

Last edited:
It ultimately depends on those who may actually be behind such events. You might consider perusing this site to get a better "feel" for our collective sentiment regarding "Autism Speaks". Also to compare such organizations to actual advocate networks like the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN).

It's true that not every person on the spectrum is capable of being a public relations marvel for the cause of autism. However neither does it mean we are so incapable as to have to exclusively rely on the perception of certain organizations who may not ultimately have our best interest in mind, but rather their own whether in whole or in part. A scenario which unfortunately from time to time may well reflect the gap between those which primarily support Neurotypical parents of autistic children, versus organizations which operate as advocacy groups for autistic people, particularly autistic adults.

If Neurotypicals want to truly help, they must fully acknowledge that autistic children grow up to become autistic adults. To drop any notion of some future "cure", or the implication that we are a disease to be eliminated through science. To treat us as being different, without implying that we are overtly deficient. Something IMO cannot be sufficiently accomplished when organizations like "Autism Speaks" promote such events. Besides, we require tolerance, understanding and support seven days a week. Not one day every year. In a metaphorical sense this sends a very poor message to children in such an impressionable age group.

And then there's that example of this event as a manifestation of social conformity and the tyranny of a majority, which isn't such a hot message to convey to kids as well. One hidden in the benevolent appearance of asking people to wear the same colored clothing to make a statement which may or may not reflect any real sense of conviction. Though admittedly a lesson in political philosophy far too advanced for Kindergartners.

In essence, to deliver and spread such an important message to such an impressionable target audience should involve the expertise of advocates of autism rather than be promoted by those who tend to treat us as a childhood disease to be conquered. That "Autism Speaks" does not speak for me- or you.

Wow, this is such an emotional thing. I am taking a few minutes at work and read all the comments here: 5 Shocking Reasons NOT to Light it Up Blue for Autism Day
It seems like I have more reading to do, and since I joined this site within the past 2 weeks, I HAVE learned a lot more. I can understand both sides of the argument though, having known parents who truly feel lost in caring for their autistic children. In some threads on this site, there seems to be anger at parents at times. I assume that maybe parents made wrong decisions for their autistic children which caused great pain and suffering. I also can say that the public thinks they are supporting Autism inclusion with these events. What a reality check! Are there any organization which support BOTH family AND the Autistic person?

Last edited:
Thank you for great advice everyone! I'm not sure what I plan to do though. Currently, I think I will plan to just stick with wearing red. I don't know if the school plans on teaching any lessons about autism. But when I arrived back at school yesterday after being gone for a couple days, they had placed blue puzzle pieces around the school with different facts about autism. I the only one I can truly remember off the top of my head is "autism is four times more likely in boys than girls." They also had asked all of the teachers to color in a puzzle piece to create a large display in the entryway. (When I got settled back in the classroom, they asked me if I wanted to make a piece. I declined.) I felt very uncomfortable walking past all of that on the way to my Kindergarten class. They plan to leave it all up throughout April. How should I deal with that?

New Threads

Top Bottom