• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My delusional phenomena

The fact that you are cognitively aware of these symptoms suggests you have the intellect to discern the reality from delusion. This may be the difference between "mental illness" and someone without,...as by the definitions of both Freguli experiences and anosognosia, the affected person is unaware of their condition,...but you are.

I am certainly no psychologist or psychiatrist, as I do see things more from a medical model. However, there may be something to be said for being autistic,...perhaps some saving grace, per se. That is to suggest, that from my experience with reading the many thousands of posts here on the forums,...autistics, in general, tend to be quite insightful about themselves, quite concerned with their mental well-being,...and very self-aware of how they perceive things versus others. Proof, in my mind, autism clearly is NOT a mental illness,...quite the opposite, in fact.

Having said that, most of us are quite aware of the neurodiversity within the autistic population. Certainly from a medical model, it has been well demonstrated that autistic brains are structurally different than that of a so-called neurotypical,...down to the cellular level. With that, there are documented cases of quite a range of extraordinary abilities,...and disabilities,...as well as, a range of symptoms associated with neurological connections between areas of the brain that normally shouldn't be. In your case, "Freguli-like" and "anosognosia-like" experiences. Especially when I was younger, certainly less so now, I would occasionally see people that were not there,...quite distressing to a young child trying to explain to an adult who didn't believe them,...as well as, full-on premonitions that I could react to,...actually saving a life in the hospital,...to feeling the energy release of a person dying...woke me up from a deep sleep, knew exactly what happened, noted the time on the clock. I think there was a thread on this forum a while back where several people had all sorts of interesting experiences to share.

Obviously, from the medical model, there is likely some explanation for all of this,...it's just that we know very little about the brain, in general. Any neurologist and neurosurgeon will certainly admit this,...a seemingly infinite amount of questions to be asked and answered.

It makes sense. I did do a research that Delusional Misidentification Syndrome can be explained by neurological miswiring as well.

What I experienced is unpleasant though.

Having history of inability read facial expressions is scary, because I sometimes misidentified my family with others, because I at the time thought they are all the same. It was a scary experience.

Last edited:
It makes sense. I did do a research that Delusional Misidentification Syndrome can be explained by neurological miswiring as well.

What I experienced is unpleasant though.

Having history of inability read facial expressions is scary, because I sometimes misidentified my family with others, because I think they are all the same. It was a scary experience.

As with most things, we find little "work arounds" when dealing with our "disabilities". Certainly, there are plenty of illiterate people in this world, and they still get around just fine, to the point where people around them might not even know. Facial expressions and identification is another form, which I am sure, you have found over time, "work arounds", how you greet people, how you interact with them in order to finally say to yourself, "OK, this is who I am dealing with" and then move on with whatever you were doing. People might not even be aware of the "mental gymnastics" you are doing at the time.

As with most things, we find little "work arounds" when dealing with our "disabilities". Certainly, there are plenty of illiterate people in this world, and they still get around just fine, to the point where people around them might not even know. Facial expressions and identification is another form, which I am sure, you have found over time, "work arounds", how you greet people, how you interact with them in order to finally say to yourself, "OK, this is who I am dealing with" and then move on with whatever you were doing. People might not even be aware of the "mental gymnastics" you are doing at the time.

That does make sense. I only told my parents and my school psychologist about my history of Fregoli-like experiences very recently.

Are Fregoli Syndrome and Prosopagnosia related? When I had profound symptoms of Prosopgnosia, I had a belief that all people are the same, until my social skills got improved.

I think the two either co-occurred, or your psychosis made you think everyone looked the same (possibly hallucinatory?) rather than it being prosopagnosia.

I think the two either co-occurred, or your psychosis made you think everyone looked the same (possibly hallucinatory?) rather than it being prosopagnosia.

But, all of that belief was gone, as soon my social skills got improved with therapy.

But, all of that belief was gone, as soon my social skills got improved with therapy.
Does that mean they’re related though? Prosopagnosia is not something you cure with therapy. Psychosis and Fregoli syndrome, yes.
Thinking everyone is the same is a delusion. Prosopagnosia is not being able to distinguish faces, but without any type of delusion. Don’t conflate the two.

Does that mean they’re related though? Prosopagnosia is not something you cure with therapy. Psychosis and Fregoli syndrome, yes.
Thinking everyone is the same is a delusion. Prosopagnosia is not being able to distinguish faces, but without any type of delusion. Don’t conflate the two.

Now that makes sense. I am sorry, I am wrong!

I am Oren Franz and alters are FranzFranz, Oz and BB1.

I sometimes have dissociative fugue and transient hallucinations and megalomaniac delusions of paranoid nature, when I am manic.

Having a history of neurodevelopmental Prosopagnosia symptom feels related to Fregoli Syndrome. Having a history of trouble reading faces and everyone felt the same to me.

Will you please define both of those conditions? I do not understand.

Fregoli Syndrome:

A delusional disorder that involves a delusional belief multiple people is the same person in disguise.

Prosopagnosia: A neurological disorder that involves having trouble identifying faces.

Both look very similar to each other.

New Threads

Top Bottom