• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My 5th Anniversary....

FromEquestria2LA

Hi, forum. FromEquestria2LA here. Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome being confirmed in my screening, thus giving myself a sense of closure about those doubts I had about it that had lingered for so long with me. I've called this day "My Day of Discovery" to honor this.

Five years, huh? What a journey it's been for me in those five years. I'm finally at peace with myself, in spite of my shortcomings and my autism. I'm no longer worried about getting married, or even anything else that makes me feel inferior now. Granted, I may have made mistakes in the past, but you live, you learn. Nobody's perfect.

Why, you ask, am I so open about my diagnosis? Because I want people to understand me as a person, to give an idea of what I'm like, so more people know that I am NOT an awkward person, just a bit different.

I know the world can be a bit screwed up at times, but even in times like these, we all could use a little sunshine in our lives, and I'll always be there to provide it when I can.

And you know what? I am NOT awkward. Just unique. And I mean this in a good way. My journey is NOT over yet.

Happy belated "Day of Discovery" to me. Thank you all for reading.

I received my diagnosis just under 2 week's ago ( I cannot wrap my head around that it is not so long ago)!

I too, am not shy with talking about having aspergers and just the other day, someone said that they feel their family member may be on the spectrum.

I feel that at last, I can be a little bit authentic ( well, I guess - removing my mask). I even said that it was no point joking with me, as it will make me feel very small and watch out, because of taking things literally and it was funny, because this person took something I said literally and we both laughed.

Her husband teased me about something and I was taking him literally and she stepped in and said: he is teasing you, but in a very kind way.

I feel a sense of freedom now that I am official.

New Threads

Top Bottom