• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My 5 yr old daughter suddenly will not wear..

My son takes his clothes off if they even get a drop of rain on them, no matter where he is. He will also whip it out and pee when he's outside anywhere. (Probably my fault). Maybe she's hot or her clothes fabric is bothering her. I can't tolerate certain fabrics, they make me itchy and I refuse to wear them.

Are there any clothes she likes or used to affectionate before? For some months in my life (maybe more than months, I can't remember) I refused to wear anything. But I was okay to wear a costume (like halloween ones). I couldn't wear anything tight anyway. I hated some textures but I was in love with some others - very particular ones. I know I couldn't wear tight things because they were really something ... omg I can't even write about it, it was unbearable and I couldn't even take those stuffs out I was trappeeeeeed.
Anyway, it's all gone now, but I have no idea how long it lasted nor how my parents handled it. There is hope :)

Can it also be because of the weather?

Does she like some type of clothing even if it's special? Did she ever had a favourite dress or something? Does she like touching certain type of material/texture? Is she attracted by certain particular colours (just a different colour could've made stuffs more rewarding and worth the pain to wear for me)? Can you turn something into a fun thing to wear (for me costumes were fun to wear, therefore worth it)? I also was okay to wear some of my mum's clothes, they were bigger, and I liked the smell. Smell can also be something rewarding and making wearing something more enjoyable because it continuously smells like something I have affection for/feel comfortable with. Does she have a favorite animal or disney character or whatever that she would be okay if you propose her to dress like them or whatever? Try to propose plenty of things and ways, if she's curious about something go slow but note it.
To be honest, punishment wouldn't work (ever) with me. It was simply too awful for me to stand it, no matter the punishment I think I would've chose any type of punishment rather than wearing anything I couldn't stand being in. I have plenty of childhood pictures of myself eating in a princess costume. When I had to go back to school I went there in pyjamas (...). Then I think I got okay to go there with clothes IF I could wear again the stuffs I liked once back home. My parents found some tricks like that, compromises.

I also surprisingly loved some itchy textures rather than cotton. It might not be common but I wouldn't assume anything... It just doesn't make sense.

That's all I can think about given my own experience. I don't know if it's helpful. Now I got used to most clothes and textures, some are more comfortable than others etc but no drama.

Also, the temperature of the material was/is important. Some textures keep warmth easily (even cotton becomes warm), while some others stay kind of cold (like satin). As a child I liked textures that were staying a bit cold against my skin. There are a lot of parameters......

Last edited:
I was always taking my clothes off when I was a kid too. Can't stand anything restrictive. Try stretchy soft and loose clothes. Underwear can not be the kind where the elastic touches the skin around the legs and waist! Get the kind covered in cotton.
Good luck.

Soft flowy things may help. When I was 5-6 I would only wear super flowy cotton dresses and nothing else. Now I still like to get clothing that is super soft and often flowey. I also found one type of legging that works for me and I have a bunch of the same legging now but it works.

She has been the type to strip down to diaper when entering the house. But now its nothing but the breeze..

She has quite the fashion sense. Dressing up in many types of costumes.
My favorite was the sequin dress, the seafood steamer basket hat, mary poppins big shoes, and the slinky as a belt..

But now we can’t leave the house.

ANY THING !!!
Does she have a diagnosis with a severity level?

My ASD3 daughter will strip out of wet clothes, too. She'll put on dry replacements when offered, but until then, she'll do whatever she was doing nude and not care who sees what. I'll help her find some clothes, but after 25 years, I have gotten pretty relaxed about those occasions.

I won't wear certain materials, either, but my sense of public modesty would constrain me to address the problem privately (for myself).

I always loved to be bundled up, until it started getting warm, then I couldn't stand having clothes on. They finally got me to at least keep my underwear on.

Some people are naturally prone to being nudists.
It is just how I feel comfortable. Never did like the feeling of clothes.
Don't wear them inside the house. I have robes and caftans for colder weather,
but, it's hardly ever cold here.

When I was in school, in my time period, girls had to wear dresses and those horrible panty hose.

People created the idea that au natural is something to be ashamed of.
Thankfully the south-central part of Florida has more nudist camps, community living areas
and even gated neighborhoods to buy homes in if you want than anywhere in America.
It is such a feeling of freedom to go for a weekend getaway. It just feels...natural.
Not only do I think outside the box, I dress outside the box!

But, when I do go out into the regular world, I am very particular about the feel of the
fabrics of clothes. Very highly sensitive to anything that isn't soft and stretchy or loose
and airy. Glad jackets are hardly ever needed here.

If she is inclined to be au natural, not only clothing will be difficult, but, underwear will be
a nightmare. And there's puberty with the monthly essentials to get used to. OMG.
Good luck. :oops:

I'm guessing it's just a childrens' thing in general. A former girlfriend I was with at the time had an NT daughter...who from 5 to 7 used to spend much of the blistering hot summers indoors in her birthday suit. With her mother's permission, of course. It didn't seem like a big deal to any of us.

5 is such a cute age. Four and five years old are my favorite ages. They really are highly intuned to what works for them. Does she have a favorite character that wears clothes? This could be a way to talk about why we wear clothes in general. My daughter l kept in soft loose clothing and she loved the black Fry cowboy boots l found. Lands End clothing for kids was perfect at the time. If this happened to me, l would take her to material store, let her pick out fabric, and l would stitch up something fast on the singer. I always gave her choices. But of course she was a tomboy so the cute dress phase ended at 5 years old. They go thru stages. Your little girl could turn 16 and only wear black for a year and eat peas and declare herself a vegetarian. My daughter turned into a guy and vegan. Then she sorta turned back again. I made no comments, just let her experiment with self-discovery. She is pretty confident as a young adult. l hope l had a little part in that. We never argued about anything. We usually agreed on things.

I remember my daughter saying the funniest things,like telling her dad he had hair coming out of his nose at the grocery line, really loud. lol. At a young age after a shower with me, she told me l had a very big behind. lol. They are precious at this age, everything is unfiltered.

Put your seatbelt on, sounds like you will have a couple more stages to go thru. l wasn't expecting the why do l need a driver license stage. l signed her up for driver's ed class despite her protests. Then the minute she had a car, she was always out visiting friends and doing things. She also started working part-time because she had transportation. She was responsible enough that l didn't have to do the don't do these things talk with her. She had common sense.

Come to think about it- l love walking around in my underwear everyday in my place. Not sure if it comfort or laziness or both, or not really caring.

Sorry, hope this wasn't to long.

Last edited:
Talk about a dilemma. You want your kid to know they should keep their clothes on, and yet at the same time you don't want them to grow up thinking they should be ashamed of their own body.

when I was very young I went through a phase where all I wanted to wear were dresses and my mom had to convince me wearing a bathing suit when I went swimming at the beach was better. I knew back then that dresses were something only girls were supposed to wear and the last thing I wanted was to be mistaken for a boy. But then I realized that other girls wore pants but they still looked like girls, so I started wearing them too, and by the time I was in my preteens dresses and skirts were woven by Satan himself and contained tiny fragments of brimstone and the tears of puppies. :laughing:

I think many kids don't want to wear clothes. According to my parents, and they had photos to prove it, I took off my clothes outdoors from about age 2 to age 4 or thereabouts, and ran around buck naked. LOL. I don't remember why I did it but probably because I was too hot or the clothes were uncomfortable.

However, autistic children may be different. When my nephew was young, his parents tried many things to keep his clothes on him in public. They put his pants on backwards so he couldn't unbutton or unzip them, put a belt on his pants with the buckle behind his back so he couldn't take it off, and dressed him in overalls with the shoulder straps tied together behind his back so he couldn't pull off the straps and drop the pants.

It's probably just a phase that she will eventually outgrow.

New Threads

Top Bottom