• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mundane discovery

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I have always hated waiting rooms. My anxiety levels are on a high and my tummy starts talking and it gets louder and louder and never been able to laugh it off. It is related to the sheer silence. So, dread comes along, when I have to go to dr etc.

In truth, thanks to this pandamic, I have discovered, that if I stand up in a waiting room, over sitting down, my anxiety levels become mangeable.

I wouldn't say that's a mundane discovery. If it helps you handle your anxieties - then I would argue that it's an important and worthwhile discovery.

Ed

I find that not only standing, but pacing, or shifting my weight from one foot to the other helps.

That's why God invented the smartphone. To keep us distracted when we're in waiting rooms. Back in the cave man days we were stuck reading sports and sewing magazines. Someone had usually walked off with the interesting material.

Thanks for replying everyone and yes, not a mundane discovery by our standards, but to neurotypicals yes.

Standing up makes me feel at ease, despite, ironically, if everyone else is sitting down, then I am actually highlighting myself, but strangely enough, have a better mental grasp of things that way.

I suppose it depends on why I'm in the waiting room. If I'm waiting for surgery, then there's really nothing I can do to calm down; my anxiety won't let me focus on anything so I just constantly look around the room, at magazines, etc, without being able to take my mind off it.
If it's just a basic checkup, a request to refill a prescription, or something minor, then I'm just bored. I find them to be small, quiet, and cozy, so my anxiety doesn't really bother me.
On the other hand, some waiting rooms are big and cold and empty-feeling (even if there are a ton of people). That can also bring up the anxiety a little, so finding a way to take my mind off things is helpful.

I pace around a lot even if I'm not anxious, so I can see that helping in a waiting room, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom