• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Most expensive thing you own

This computer, in the thousands.

Other than computers, I don't have other stuff that cost me more than 3 digits (thousands).

Wow! Must be a pretty nice computer. I was so mad when I found out I had to buy a computer for college and itd cost me about $900.

Ah, don't worry and don't be mad, I am working with laptops - but the current laptop I use is also $900. There is an unused Alienware laptop for, well, computer games - which aren't really productive.

When there are computer labs in the school campus, theoretically we don't need a computer ourselves.

I think the most expensive item that I own is a 1966 Fender Mustang guitar. I bought it for $2125.

Second would be my Sony a-350 DSLR camera. It came as a package with two lenses, a bag and 2x lens protectors - $1700ish.

Then it's probably a tie between my Roland KC-350 keyboard amp and my Marshall DSL-401 guitar amp - they were both in the vicinity of $1400. I think the Marshall amp was slightly more than the keyboard amp.

Then comes my laptop: $1285 and my Godin LG guitar - $1200.

Then comes my Kurzweil stage piano, which was about $900.

Followed by my Seagull M6 acoustic - $775.

Then comes my Ibanez Talman artcore guitar - $499 and my Godin Freeway Classic, which I bought second-hand for $400.

I think the most expensive thing I have is my Roland SP 606 sampling workstation, which was 650-ish in 2005.
Then comes my tv which is a 42 inch LG plasma, which was 600
Then my synthesizer, a Korg x-50, which I bought for 450-ish (though it usually is about double that, was on clearance sale).

And then a portion of random smaller stuff. 200 for a guitar, 250 for a mixing desk, a hundred there for a computer part, 50 there for this, 150 there for that... all in all, I don't own very expensive things as a whole I guess. My cellphone might be "expensive" but I got it for free with my subscription. Though the Nokia N8 went for 400+ back when it just got released.

But actually I'm fine with not having a lot of expensive stuff around... social security law still states that a person may not own properties over 5000 euro in total value. And that includes stuff like a car and all. And given I'm still around in the social security stuff, it's better that way... for now.

But actually I'm fine with not having a lot of expensive stuff around... social security law still states that a person may not own properties over 5000 euro in total value. And that includes stuff like a car and all. And given I'm still around in the social security stuff, it's better that way... for now.

That's the reason why I give away expensive stuff to other people, in case if there are new social security laws in my country (which is none for my country). It pays to save anyway, for saving spurs a country's investment, in case it has profitable investment opportunities.

Like say, railways.

That's the reason why I give away expensive stuff to other people, in case if there are new social security laws in my country (which is none for my country). It pays to save anyway, for saving spurs a country's investment, in case it has profitable investment opportunities.

Like say, railways.

But saving your money is considered "own property" as well. It's really messed up. Most stuff I have, I bought back when I had a decent, steady job, and from there on out, I went a bit more into music and recording and all. But at some point it gets to the point to "pray you don't get unemployed". And in my case, I went from a break in between 2 university courses... I had a break of about 2 years, which I had a job. Then, I flunked uni and got on social security.

It's also really weird, because you're actually being punished for once having contributed to society. It's not that I can walk in and ask for a job like that. And actually, the people at the employment office know it, but they do hide behind the entire "well, it's the law".

I wouldn't mind giving away some expensive stuff to others... but it kinda depends on what it is. If I were to give away my guitar for example... it still is "a tool" to do the stuff I want to do in the long run for example. I don't see a point in buying such a tool if I'm giving it away. If it's gifts... yeah, I don't mind giving those away, most of the time it's stuff I don't really care about, but just keep around for the sake of "someone who was dear to me, gave me this".

The whole array of computer hardware I have, plus my current tower. I'd say somewhere in the field of $600-$800, depending on who you ask or what they know. Maybe more or less.

My daily commuter, which is a P.O.S right now. A 4 door '96 Cadillac SLS(?), I'd say $600 right now. Others might disagree and they may be right assuming the car's in a better shape than it is now, whatever.

A 23' monitor that doubles as a HDTV and has every input known to mankind. I could grab $200-$250 for it, but the price of HD monitors has dropped drastically so I don't know.

Other than the aforementioned stuff, pennies to dollars.

Other than the aforementioned stuff, pennies to dollars.

I just thought, are we more thrifty as a whole than those people who do customised wheels and the stuff?

I wouldn't mind giving away some expensive stuff to others... but it kinda depends on what it is. If I were to give away my guitar for example... it still is "a tool" to do the stuff I want to do in the long run for example. I don't see a point in buying such a tool if I'm giving it away. If it's gifts... yeah, I don't mind giving those away, most of the time it's stuff I don't really care about, but just keep around for the sake of "someone who was dear to me, gave me this".

I give the clothes I dislike to friends. If I have too much money (which doesn't happen!) I hope to give them to my sisters. If I have excess food, I save them for my neighbors. Well, I keep very few things.

Good for you, King_Oni. Oh, do you keep comic books? Do you have a large collection of comics stuff (which can be expensive too)?

Oh, do you keep comic books? Do you have a large collection of comics stuff (which can be expensive too)?

No I don't. I read on my tablet. So those are pretty null and void in regards to value.

Either way, there's stuff one could invest in, if you want to have "hidden" cash. They usually look for "normal" stuff. Or at least stuff which you could sell for a few bucks. A tv could be sold off, and that has value to them.

Given I used to play a trading card game and that game had really, really expensive cards, from first printings and all, that's one way to have hidden finances I guess. It would require a collector to put value on those things and not just anyone who came knocking to look for stuff in your house. I really doubt if they would value movie a over movie b just by looking at it either. I could have some weird collectors edition or limited print dvd around and they might not be aware of the "uniqueness" of it. Stuff like that. And that's the same with comics I guess. If you were to have a first edition batman comic from back in the 40's or so (at least I believe it was the 40's) that might be worth something. To them it would be "an old comicbook". or even discarded as "just some comicbook".

I don't have any paper books either. Yeah, a few.. but the majority I read is digital as well.

A problem with property on a non physical basis lies in the more rapid decline in value, yet it doesn't wear out. I can buy a game online for 50 bucks right now. And have it as a only-download thing, that might be worth 10 bucks next week. And those are usually also linked to an account, not to be traded. So in a way, stuff like that actually imposes a problem upon property laws. And even more if it's on a big scale, because I doubt they'll argue that it's a matter of pennies regarding property, but more a matter of "single objects that have great value". Heck... I could even claim that my wallpaper has a storeworth of 5 bucks a foot for example. My front door is made out of non budget wood... that's not how it works (yet).

Do you think your own home-made drawings/music can be considered as an expensive item?

Hm... let's split this in 2.

If it where my own works that were seen as "expensive".. then why am I on unemployment? Clearly I can't succeed in selling my own work, so if the government feels my work is worth more... please, they should be inclined to sell them for me. Would get me more time to actually make art and not spend half my time in trying to sell it.

If it were works from others... I think a Van Gogh is "home-made" albeit a long time ago. Also, not all arts require a "professional" studio. Recently a photograph was sold for 4 million. That's actually "nothing more" than a high quality photo with a lot of retouching done by someone on his computer. Yes, it sounds easier than it actually is, but still... that doesn't neccesarily require a place like a traditional office/workplace. But if you have the tools (camera, computer) it isn't that far off, what one can achieve. (note; I don't have any idea why this image is so good. It's nice, but not 4 million dollar nice... look up Rhein II/Rhein 2, that's the image I'm talking about)

...social security law still states that a person may not own properties over 5000 euro in total value. And that includes stuff like a car and all. And given I'm still around in the social security stuff, it's better that way... for now.

Yikes, that's strict. Well, you could always come over to the States...I know a lot of people who receive a combination of social security, housing assistance and food stamps. The same people who keep their luxury sedans with 20 inch rims, HDTVs, fancy jewelry, drugs, etc etc.

Might be in a less than ideal setting that's prone to crime, but you can have it all!

Last edited:
Yikes, that's strict. Well, you could always come over to the States...I know a lot of people who receive a combination of social security, housing assistance and food stamps. The same people who keep their luxury sedans with 20 inch rims, HDTVs, fancy jewelry, drugs, etc etc.

Might be in a less than ideal setting that's prone to crime, but you can have it all!

If I could get in without having a decent plan to get employed... sure, why not, lol. But I doubt that's how it works if you plan to live in another country... otherwise I'd probably opt to move elsewhere. Heck, even Germany would be fine

My laptop; I bought it last week and it cost me ?420.

I'm such an idiot; I spilt vodka on my last one when I was drunk. :-O

Now I know why poor people do rim jobs. :p I don't fancy them, though

My Canon 550D camera cost me ?530. Took ages to save up for it but was happy when I got it.

Good that you saved up for something that adds value and colour into our lives.

New Threads

Top Bottom