• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Modern Art

CatKid

Super-Cool Meme
Hi!
I guess this is my second thread of the day...... lol..... (Aspergers is so confusing man)

But yeah, does anyone here get confused when they see modern art (or any art with a deep meaning)?
I either don't even try to work it out or I come to some really far-reaching conclusion,,,

I'm an artist (going to be doing illustration next year!! My main special talent)
and I have strong, sensitive political views, so it doesn't compliment my specialities when I'm just so confused,,,
This could be something that I get at other times, e.g. with deep metaphors, but I hardly notice it until I go to an art gallery or art festival.
Idk.... this could be something that NTs get too in the same way, and this might just be my level of intelligence or something, but I'm just wondering.
Like, my brain works too hard on an answer and it's just the most farfetched nonsense u could come up with, or I exhaust myself from trying too hard and wait for my mum to tell me lol.
Also, symbolism is often lost on me (if I've seen it before from something significant, I can understand)

I may be over-reacting and might actually be completely normal here, or actually better than I think, but I feel hopeless, and it's quite a relative experience, so I'd like to discuss it.

How do u feel when ur in a situation like this? Anyone like me and bad at deep meanings? Anyone exceptional at deep meanings? Anyone have any stories?

I'd love to hear any type of response! :smilecat:

I tend to not get some modern art as well. However, I think this is because a lot of the modern 'art' that is out there is just plain bad!:mad::confused: I swear that you could take a mouthful of paint, sneeze on a canvas, and call it 'art'! Or maybe do what my brother and I used to do: catch earthworms, dip them in watercolor paint and let them wriggle around on paper.:rolleyes:;) Hey, maybe I should go ahead and get into modern art! I could make a fortune!:D:p;)

I tend to not get some modern art as well. However, I think this is because a lot of the modern 'art' that is out there is just plain bad!:mad::confused: I swear that you could take a mouthful of paint, sneeze on a canvas, and call it 'art'! Or maybe do what my brother and I used to do: catch earthworms, dip them in watercolor paint and let them wriggle around on paper.:rolleyes:;) Hey, maybe I should go ahead and get into modern art! I could make a fortune!:D:p;)

I know right?? There was a piece in the art gallery which was literally some framed pieces of paper with numbers on, most of them were written in rows and one was written in an arch shape.... I asked my mum afterwards and she thought it was about deviation from norms or uniformity or something, but whatever the meaning, it can't have been that deep for what it was worth :smirk::sweatsmile:
Sometimes I wonder if I should just doodle on scraps of paper and sell it for a fortune instead of practicing my trade and striving for realism in my sketches..... :tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:
And it's often soo pretentious, so even though it tries to communicate, it shuts itself off from the common people in the name of being 'insightful' and 'intelligent' :confused:
Good point, thank you!!

I wouldn't worry about it; it's Marmite (if you're not British, it's a spread made from yeast extract with a very strong flavour; in an advert for it a couple of years back, the slogan was, "You either love it or you hate it", and it's become a description for anything else you'd describe like that). For me, art isn't art if you can't see what it is; my condition may be partly responsible for that, but I doubt it, as most NT people feel the same way too. Unless you have to study a piece of modern art for an essay or exam, don't even try, it doesn't matter, honestly. If a piece does something for you, great; but if not, just move on to something that does.

As a lifelong art history scholar, artist, and friend to artists, I can tell you;
It's mostly B.S. The artists themselves, will admit it if you get them at an unguarded moment, and if they are not so incredibly defensive as to be unable to look at their own work in any objective way.

Really, the only definition of art that I recognise is; "A thing isn't visible, I have to make it visible." It doesn't matter if the thing is a megalithic monument to Crazy Horse, a painting of beautiful nudes, or an arched line of random letters on a piece of paper... No matter what the artist thinks it says.

:)

most people over think modern art. some time it is better to feel the art rather then try to find some special meaning behind it. Mark Rothko said he wanted people to break down and cry at the sight of his work. He felt his art was more of an emotional experience rather then a intellectual one.

New Threads

Top Bottom