• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MIT LaunchX Autism Meltdown Research

VR sets themselves would have to become much smaller, pocket versions
When they get to this stage, I think you could be right, but the current tech is off-putting to many. Portability would be a massive barrier since meltdowns often happen with little warning.
thumbnailImage

Survey: forms.gle/p8hszjFwfkebeGKG8

We are a team of students at the MIT LaunchX program and are creating a company that we believe would be extremely beneficial to the Autism Spectrum Disorder community. Anyone that believes they could provide crucial insight on this topic based on their personal experience with an autistic child, please take a moment to fill out this survey.

--The Cognality Team

I can grasp why you cut us off after page two. I wished you would have considered this could be hard for us. We are searching for ways too. I do not wish to lie to try and get information myself from your survey. You should've said Boston area from the start. Have a nice day!

Edit
Also could you let me know about my solution, you should know the one I'm talking about if you use your heads reviewing. Considering it's dangerous to produce those hormones the way I gathered it. I don't wish to say it publicly, since someone could be injured replacating my methods. If you're unsure who I am. I'll tell you on a private message.

Last edited:
To be honest, using VR for a meltdown may be quite interesting for some, for example, those that tend to try to escape and find a quiet, safe space to calm down and rest but have a hard time finding one - VR definitely has a possibility to provide something of similar characteristics. However, the problem is the size of the VR headsets at the moment - as mentioned, they are bulky and annoying to transport.

There is some potential but VR sets themselves would have to become much smaller, pocket versions and made from sensory-friendly materials, as well as having enough noise insulation like some of the high-quality headphones. A small device like this, something you could use similarly to glasses, just sit down, cut yourself off and relax/calm down, may be useful.

Maybe it could have some calming sounds included like rain or cicadas? Some visual input with a choice of place, some with dimmed light like a room with a candle, or fully dark like a night sky with/without a campfire, or just relaxing places like a forest or a beach. Maybe headset could have an outside texture of some kind that could be customised (wood or stone for me, they are really relaxing).

Outside the whole business of let's-get-money-from-people-with-problems, it does sound quite interesting as a relaxation tool.

Sounds like a blackout eye mask and noise canceling headphones with the deadmau5 Where's the drop? mix to me. Don't exactly need VR for that.

I can grasp why you cut us off after page two. I wished you would have considered this could be hard for us. We are searching for ways too. I do not wish to lie to try and get information myself from your survey. You should've said Boston area from the start. Have a nice day!

Also could you let me know about my solution, you should know the one I'm talking about if you use your heads reviewing. Considering it's dangerous to produce those hormones the way I gathered it. I don't wish to say it publicly, since someone could be injured replacating my methods. If you're unsure who I am. I'll tell you on a private message.

Are you okay?

Yes thanks for your concern. I'm not ok, but I am ok. I have PTSD, since I can't do the things I want. I pass on a lot of ideas to others. I'd rather see things done then not at all. If it can help that'd be wonderful, but I don't want people to rely on the methods I have used.

Sounds like a blackout eye mask and noise canceling headphones with the deadmau5 Where's the drop? mix to me. Don't exactly need VR for that.

You may find it useless. Others, not only those on the spectrum, may find it useful or interesting. I only say there is potential, even if it's quite far-off due to the technology limitations. If people never tried to create something new or potentially useful, we would never move from the dark ages.

We do not have any autistic members on our team,...
Many, here, were not diagnosed until middle age or older...

It wouldn't be a bad idea for your team to try some unofficial, on-line autism tests to confirm your presumed neuro-typ[icality?].

Survey: forms.gle/p8hszjFwfkebeGKG8

We are a team of students at the MIT LaunchX program and are creating a company that we believe would be extremely beneficial to the Autism Spectrum Disorder community. Anyone that believes they could provide crucial insight on this topic based on their personal experience with an autistic child, please take a moment to fill out this survey.

--The Cognality Team

Ummm... to start, don't call us disordered. Respect neurodiversity and the ubiquitous advantages found in every shade of our spectrum. "ASD" may abound, as an initialism, within the medical community, but I'd recommend forgoing it here, to avoid perpetuating the stigma.

If I called you "disordered," would you feel comfortable taking my interview/survey?

Last edited:
Ummm... to start, don't call us disordered. Respect neurodiversity and the ubiquitous advantages found in every shade of our spectrum. "ASD" may abound, as an initialism, within the medical community, but I'd recommend forgoing it here, to avoid perpetuating the stigma.

If I called you "disordered," would you feel comfortable taking my interview/survey?

Honestly I personally don't mind. Anyone can label you, but you know who you are. You also have those close to you. I wish the best for everyone. I try not to take things personal. Everyone has a reason for there actions. Don't play the fool, but forgetting and forgiven will only bring you peace, hopefully. Hope your day is well.

Honestly I personally don't mind. Anyone can label you, but you know who you are. You also have those close to you. I wish the best for everyone. I try not to take things personal. Everyone has a reason for there actions. Don't play the fool, but forgetting and forgiven will only bring you peace, hopefully. Hope your day is well.

The problem with such language is not people taking it personally. Words like "disorder", functional labels and person first language all serve to strengthen the stigma against autistic people in general. For the same reason the "N word" is discouraged in the fight against racism, these types of language cannot go unchallenged whether one "takes it personal" or not. It's a much bigger concern than personal insult.

... but to hear the experiences of the community and use them to develop a solution that has the community in mind.

Perhaps too woolly or broad a venture?. By that I mean I don't really know what you're asking me for.
Specifically.
Which is having me feel a little lost and not certain how I might be able to help, or not.

In which case I would usually move off this post and onto the next but you've gotten through three pages of comments and you're still here, sticking to your guns :)

Working from the title of your post,
What in particular would you like to know about meltdowns?

The problem with such language is not people taking it personally. Words like "disorder", functional labels and person first language all serve to strengthen the stigma against autistic people in general. For the same reason the "N word" is discouraged in the fight against racism, these types of language cannot go unchallenged whether one "takes it personal" or not. It's a much bigger concern than personal insult.

I don't really grasp it. Aren't you giving the words to much power? I'll use your example with the n word. To me it just means lazy. I completely understand what you're saying. I just think giving words to much power is foolish. When you give words power good people get hurt. When you give words to much power. I believe it only makes it worst for the others. It also creates a barrier between them and others. Ignorance is a real thing too.
I'm more of the be forgiven and protect the weak type. I believe in freedom and forgiveness. Why I became a soldier.

I don't really grasp it. Aren't you giving the words to much power? I'll use your example with the n word. To me it just means lazy. I completely understand what you're saying. I just think giving words to much power is foolish. When you give words power good people get hurt. When you give words to much power. I believe it only makes it worst for the others. It also creates a barrier between them and others. Ignorance is a real thing too.
I'm more of the be forgiven and protect the weak type. I believe in freedom and forgiveness. Why I became a soldier.

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, words have much more power than we often give them credit for. Most people don't think like you - which is one of the reasons why certain words have such an influence on individuals while being used as insults. In my native country being called autistic is still considered an insult to one's intelligence, for example. People don't really understand what autism involves, only the insult. Words such as 'disorder' reinforce the view of different people as 'lesser kind'. Educating others and avoiding the use of certain words in offensive ways may take the power from these words and influence the society to become more open-minded and tolerant of differences. Or it may change nothing. Still, isn't it worth trying?

Forgive me but that's very naive. Words are our most prolific form of communication. If you repeatedly use words like "disorder" then you reinforce the idea that you are less of a person than the next man and reinforce prejudice. When someone says "high functioning" they relegate others to "low functioning". Regardless of personal opinions, society is shaped by the words of politicians, celebrities and of the masses.
You say you've been a soldier. Can you tell me the difference between a political terrorist and a freedom fighter? An insurgent guerilla and a resistance fighter?

I thought math was our best form of communication. Words have to many contexts. It only makes you a less of a person if you allow it too. Words have always been used as a restricted division. Think about it ever noun creates division. So you know what you're talking about.

Edit. They're nothing different, both sides faught for what they want to protect. I was scared my family and friends would die from WMD.

Good points raised. That emotional consequences of free speech should be weighted equally to their legal consequences. However such opinions may more adequately reflect the laws of the United Kingdom, and not necessarily those of the United States.

Over several decades, US case law has evolved in a fashion which has eroded our Doctrine of Clear and Present Danger. A past legal threshold dictating where First Amendment rights to free speech end, and the authority of the state begins. However various challenges to this doctrine over many years have resulted in a legal requirement dictating that for such speech to be unconstitutional must precipitate an "imminent, lawless act". That while "political correctness" potentially carries a great deal of weight in the court of public opinion, it is unlikely to carry such weight in a court of law.

That it isn't any one particular word in question that alters the equation, but rather what consequences actually occur as a result of such words being used. Whether one agrees or disagrees with such a premise, it is the law of the United States of America, for better or worse.

Yet despite our legal system's heavy hand over such matters, it doesn't negate those emotional consequences that come as a result of using hateful and divisive speech. Whether it's considered constitutional or not.

IMO words do matter- with or without the formality of law. And emotional consequences can still potentially be litigated in our legal system within the realm of civil law. They just won't have any bearing on a question of constitutionality. Yes, in the United States you have the legal right to be offensive up to a legal threshold of when you no longer can. Though it seems to me that being offensive in itself is never a virtue.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom