• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misinformation (I believe) about autism/Asperger's

I've heard this one many a time, just without the word "autistic" in there.
Yes, all of them because they think any kind of ranged weapon that uses high-speed projectiles propelled by smokeless powder should be banned, even IF they have absolutely zero idea of what they're talking about. As an American, I can say that shooting firearms and collecting them is a hobby for some, and for others, owning a good amount of firearms and shooting them is a straight-up family tradition. It can't be taken away from me, nor anybody in the U.S. That is why New York's, California's, Detroit's, and Chicago should have legal consequences for banning guns altogether in those states/areas, or for restricting gun rights for their residents, that some consider it crippling to their rights.

Yes, all of them because they think any kind of ranged weapon that uses high-speed projectiles propelled by smokeless powder should be banned, even IF they have absolutely zero idea of what they're talking about. As an American, I can say that shooting firearms and collecting them is a hobby for some, and for others, owning a good amount of firearms and shooting them is a straight-up family tradition. It can't be taken away from me, nor anybody in the U.S. That is why New York's, California's, Detroit's, and Chicago should have legal consequences for banning guns altogether in those states/areas, or for restricting gun rights for their residents, that some consider it crippling to their rights.

Most of us in favor of gun control are not in favor of banning guns. I don't want this to turn into a political debate, so I'll just say that there are too many people attributing extreme views to large groups of people when in fact, there will always be some people at one or the other extreme on an issue. The idea that people should not have guns due to autism doesn't make sense to me unless it's because we'd have terrible aim (and in fact, being trained to use a firearm and needing to pass a test as we do with driving would keep people from making such vast generalizations).

What is? Their is no context to what you just said. Can I have context, please?

I didn't realize that there were two other replies when I posted that. Also, this system usually quotes the thing I'm replying to, so I don't get why it didn't this time.

I was replying to you saying that you saw those statements on the internet (about autistic people being violent and aggressive, etc.).

The main one that severely upsets me is some people's opinion that Autistic people are retarded.

Wrong, WRONG and did I mention, WRONG?!

OK I'll never win Mastermind, but contrary to popular belief I am NOT retarded or otherwise mentally incompetent.

The main one that severely upsets me is some people's opinion that Autistic people are retarded.

Wrong, WRONG and did I mention, WRONG?!

OK I'll never win Mastermind, but contrary to popular belief I am NOT retarded or otherwise mentally incompetent.

Yeah, lots of people on the spectrum have above average intelligence.

Most of us in favor of gun control are not in favor of banning guns. I don't want this to turn into a political debate, so I'll just say that there are too many people attributing extreme views to large groups of people when in fact, there will always be some people at one or the other extreme on an issue. The idea that people should not have guns due to autism doesn't make sense to me unless it's because we'd have terrible aim (and in fact, being trained to use a firearm and needing to pass a test as we do with driving would keep people from making such vast generalizations).
The second amendment of the United States is often interpreted as, "even if your aim is so terrible, the bullet hole is in a Chinese PuBG hacker's setup, you are still allowed to have a gun."

Plus, you only have to pass a test in order to get a handgun, and many semi-auto handguns are compact and meant for close-range self-defense, and, since your attacker is going to be, like 5 feet in front of you or less in those kinds of situations, it pretty much means you don't need that great of aiming skills in those kinds of scenarios. Most of the time, the attacker might instantly screw off from you once he sees you handgun that you just whipped out of seemingly nowhere, so you might even need to fire at all. Extremely close-quarters self-defense pretty much aim skills obsolete.

I was just looking for info that connects the idea of highly sensitive persons (HSPs) to autism and Asperger's. I found this article and was really annoyed at what seems to be a great deal of misinformation.

I am new to this myself, but I've learned a lot n the past 1.5 weeks.

Here are some of the things she states (this might be Elaine Aron, who literally wrote the book on HSPs, or it seems to be related to her in some way).

She says that there is no connection whatsoever between HSPs and autism/Asperger's. Yet being highly sensitive seems to be one of the main symptoms.

She says there is no way to diagnose this, so you should just read up on it and make up your mind. I won't tell that to the neuropsych testing facility I'm visiting on Monday!

Here is the article. I wouldn't mind hearing from those who have more knowledge than I. I have taken quizzes for HSPs and found I qualified as an HSP long before I realized that I am likely on the spectrum.

Comfort Zone - August 2009 - Your Questions Answered
I stated to read the article. Not only was the information presented wrong or out of date, the writing itself was borderline incoherent. I fail to understand how a person who writes like this could be considered an informational writer, or why an editor would want to publish it. Maybe it improves in the 90% I didn't bother to read.

In terms of making a living, this is essential info and I hope I can finally find a way to make a living where I use my strengths and understand my weaknesses.
I have had a very hard time earning the necessary amount of money, but I have become quite adept at managing what I do get efficiently (once on disability).

I stated to read the article. Not only was the information presented wrong or out of date, the writing itself was borderline incoherent. I fail to understand how a person who writes like this could be considered an informational writer, or why an editor would want to publish it. Maybe it improves in the 90% I didn't bother to read.

To be fair, Shamar, I later realized that it was written in 2009. But it did seem like someone just wrote about her personal experiences without bothering to do sufficient research.

New Threads

Top Bottom