• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misanthropy

Jordy

Anyone here identify a misanthrope due to having to experience the darker side of human nature all their life's?

I was doing a personality test for fun and one the questions was "do you think people are essentially bad and deserve bad things to happen to them" and I feel think it describes how I feel about people in general very well.

Anyone here identify a misanthrope due to having to experience the darker side of human nature all their life's?

I easily could but don't. We can't control the world, only our reactions to it. I signed the contract willingly to defend an ideal I believed in and learned the world outside the veil of civilization at the edges of empire is something no human can understand unless watching it explode in front of their eyes for themselves.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way. Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'." Viktor Frankl, A Man's Search for Meaning

Last edited:
I was doing a personality test for fun and one the questions was "do you think people are essentially bad and deserve bad things to happen to them" and I feel think it describes how I feel about people in general very well.

That's where we differ. All people, including myself, have the potential to do great Evil. I've seen it in ways I don't care to discuss in this setting because it's not healthy.

But while I've seen great Evil, I've seen its flip side great Nobility and self sacrifice to protect the most innocent among us with no duty to do it.

Last edited:
In order to be misanthropic, you need to ignore a mountain of evidence and focus only on the negative. It's a delusion. It's entirely emotional reasoning. Balance is essential.

In order to be misanthropic, you need to ignore a mountain of evidence and focus only on the negative. It's a delusion. It's entirely emotional reasoning. Balance is essential.
What evidence? People do more good deeds than bad on average? It only takes one betrayal to kill you. It can just be one immoral decision out of otherwise completely virtuous life that can rain havic on countless peoples life. It takes one person having a bad day and taking it out on you that can set the stage for how everyone else in group think they treat you for years to come, that's why it makes sense to focus more on the negative, it's not delusional. A humans life is to fragile to focus on good and bad equally.

Last edited:
Some people are pretty bad, I agree, and probably many of us have seen that in some others, over our lives. But there's also plenty of people who do good things, and strive to improve themselves and our world. If you haven't found any evidence of that, you probably do have a strong mindset to ignore or dismiss it, and/or are surrounded by difficulties and others who are negatively affecting you.

Anyway, sometimes you have more positive interactions and expectations here or with your teachers, I have thought, from what you say sometimes? You will get more of that as you go out into the world, if you want it.

I always tended to seek help and support I needed in positive ways, rather than be ruminating on and judging others, but people are different. Depression doesn't help, and you do seem depressed.

What evidence? People do more good deeds than bad on average? It only takes one betrayal to kill you. It can just be one immoral decision out of otherwise completely virtuous life that can rain havic on countless peoples life, that's why it makes sense to focus more on the negative, it's not delusional.

We see what we focus on. The human senses are highly flawed, yours included. Utilitarianism is a narcissistic delusion in that it believes it's even possible to make such a calculation reasonably.

To believe people as a collective deserve great harm is to say YOU deserved whatever great harm has you viewing the world this way.

Did you deserve those things? Or is it just everyone else because you're immune to your own standard?

I'm not really a misanthrope but I have experienced some of the worst evil that humanity can inflict on someone. So let's just say I'm not too fond of our species, although I do recognize and appreciate that there are good people too.

I once said "when aliens would invade us, I would ask to join them, go on their spaceship and when we would be in the outer space, I would ask them if I could press the "big red button."" : D (irony)

Sometimes my schadenfreude becomes so strong that it verges on misanthropy. My spouse and I were watching an episode of 60 minutes and there was a segment about schoolchildren, teens mainly, suffering under the social isolation of COVID measures, how some have committed suicide, and how there is some mobilization to provide mental health services. I was happy to see that suffering and commented that being socially normal they deserved all the pain they were experiencing and were whining, entitled, snowflakes and should get the help I was given at their age for my isolation: absolutely nothing.

Well, the dustup from that is that my spouse says that she dislikes me thinking of people in that way and that she is tired of me living in the past. She uses that idea as a bludgeon, saying that she cannot love me when I think about people in that way.

(added) i get disappointed in myself for letting myself be triggered. Despite my understanding of the ways I have changed, the hurt feels so real that hearing how these privileged children are struggling, the type of social teens who made me feel so inadequate, gives me a sense of justice.

Last edited:
schadenfreude, another german word. you americans steal our german words! : O kindergarten is the same. or gedankenexperiment.

it´s funny you speak english and between that randomly a german word, but for you it´s english like the others lol. "sometimes my schadenfreude" sounds like someone messes up german with english. lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom