• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mini rant in the form of a few conversations with a friend

Dr. Smart

Nt friend: i notice you have this particular trait you should not have.

Me: yeah I'm aware of it, I have taken steps over the years to get better in regards to that trait, i don't let it affect other people negatively and i've actually found a way to make certain aspects of it a positive for me.

Nt: I don't have that trait it's a bad trait, you shouldn't have it.

Me: well like i said i've worked on it but i think i have other things im more concerned with improving right now. I'm not hurting anyone and i only show this trait around you because you are a good friend i trust. Plus you used to have a similar trait.

Nt: I don't have that trait anymore, and it's really easy just make this change to your everyday routine. It works for me so it must work for you. You really need to learn this kind of thing. You should have learned it already.

Me: i'm not that good at changing my routine and this doesent feel like it's a priority to me. I feel like you are being judgmental though, your kind of upsetting me.

Nt: oh i see, you can't take criticism.

Me: what? No, you've know me for years. I don't always agree with criticism but i'll listen. I just don't like how you come across with it. It feels condescending

Nt: can't help it, i'm blunt. I've always been blunt that's just the way i am. Can't change me!

Wow. I do not like this friend of yours, at all. You expressed your discomfort with the topic and they didn't back off at all, they just changed their angle of attack (from "trait" to "can't take criticism").

Wow. I do not like this friend of yours, at all. You expressed your discomfort with the topic and they didn't back off at all, they just changed their angle of attack (from "trait" to "can't take criticism").

He actually is usually pretty chill, this is sort of just a rough summary of a few of the more aggravating conversations i've had with him. Don't take it too seriously there's always 2 sides and it's hard to get the exact tone of the conversation in text...

I shared this here because it kinda expresses the frustration i have with well meaning people in my life not recognizing the work i've put in to deal with my issues and who think i need them to dictate my priorities... i figurred other people on the spectrum might relate to the disconnect for people who find certain habits easy and can't understand why we struggle with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom