• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mild face blindness or just really poor memory?

...There is speculation as to whether prosopagnosia in autistics is separate from the wider phenomenon and may be a direct consequence of the tendency many of us have not to make eye contact nor put much significance in faces and possibly linked to our common need to categorise. I'm on the fence on that one.

I too have thought that some difficulty in facial recognition with autistics might be because we don't 'look' enough. I came up with the thought simply because I suspect that might be the case for me. It's still awkward sometimes but, obviously, is not prosopagnosia.

Mild, it's terrible. Embarrassing but on my way to work years ago, a bloke was walking to me as I was cutting through the shopping centre. It was my own Dad and I nearly missed seeing him until he got close and I thought "Is that Dad?" Wouldn't expect to see him in a shopping centre, but my Dad, I mean (blush)
He had a distinctive mouth but had a standard face for a middle aged man, I used to think lots of people looked like him, but fancy nearly walking past my own Dad.
It is good that you recognized him at the end. I also have problem that I think it might be someone I know, but I'm not sure. Also, I think I would hardly recognize some celebrity on the street. Once I failed to recognize Ivan Rakitić, one of best Croatian football players in a commercial, but I watch EVERY match of our national team.
Gym class was awful, because I had no friends I could recognize, and with everyone dressed the same I had no way of knowing who was on the same team as I was.
Terrible, I also don't like team sports, but usually can recognize people while in class.
Not like me, I say hello to them and they look at me like ermm.....who the heck are you.
Once some old man thought than I am some child that he knows, but he confused me to someone else. Then he asked me what's my father's name and then he noticed that I'm not that guy.

It is good that you recognized him at the end. I also have problem that I think it might be someone I know, but I'm not sure. Also, I think I would hardly recognize some celebrity on the street. Once I failed to recognize Ivan Rakitić, one of best Croatian football players in a commercial, but I watch EVERY match of our national team.

Terrible, I also don't like team sports, but usually can recognize people while in class.

Once some old man thought than I am some child that he knows, but he confused me to someone else. Then he asked me what's my father's name and then he noticed that I'm not that guy.
That old man sounds like me, it's happened loads of times, thinking strangers are people I know and missing the people I do know, when introduced to someone I have to see them a few times before recognising them (in the same place)

That old man sounds like me, it's happened loads of times, thinking strangers are people I know and missing the people I do know, when introduced to someone I have to see them a few times before recognising them (in the same place)

Yikes me too. SUPER embarassing!

Face Memory Test Here is a face memory test. The average score in neurotypicals is 58/75 and mine is 28/75. First part was ok for me because I had to remember one face at a time, but second and third part were too much for me because I had to remember 6 faces at once. Third round was especially hard because the faces were blurred.

Face blindness is really embarrassing. I walk past people I know and say hello to strangers who look at me funny as I think they are people I know.

Face Memory Test Here is a face memory test. The average score in neurotypicals is 58/75 and mine is 28/75. First part was ok for me because I had to remember one face at a time, but second and third part were too much for me because I had to remember 6 faces at once. Third round was especially hard because the faces were blurred.

That's an interesting test. I scored 46. Like most multiple choice tests, though, I think I only did relatively well because it was multiple choice. "In the wild" I don't know that I would do so well.

That's an interesting test. I scored 46. Like most multiple choice tests, though, I think I only did relatively well because it was multiple choice. "In the wild" I don't know that I would do so well.
I thought I'm better in face recognition than the test showed. I just couldn't remember 6 faces at a time. Even worse was when they showed me second group of 6 faces and then faces from first and second group mixed up in my brain. It was even harder because they were blurred.

Face blindness is really embarrassing. I walk past people I know and say hello to strangers who look at me funny as I think they are people I know.
I usually have no problem with people I know well but I have problem with people that I haven't seen for long time (such as primary school classmates that I last seen when we were 14 and from then they grew in height, changed haircut, some boys grown moustache and beard...) or people that I seen only once before. Also, I feel it is harder to me to recognize people I seen on TV that those I met live.

Thanks for leaving this, I had wondered if there were any studies like this.
I actually scored quite highly (52) but managed to zone in on features that stood out on the various faces, and this is how I remembered them. At first. I guess because I remembered one particular feature as supposed to the entire face, once it got more complicated, that strategy didn't work at all and I was just guessing entirely (also the coloured pixels began to hurt my eyes ;_:

New Threads

Top Bottom