• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator and Autism

I've often wondered about this, also. There are only two researchers I know of, however, who have remotely tried to connect the Myers-Briggs types to some kind of neuroscience (Dario Nardi and Jon Niednagel), yet only Nardi has attempted some link with introversion and thinking to autism (Niednagel has linked the E__P types with ADHD, but has not reported any analysis on autism).

I would think INTJ and INTP would certainly exhibit the most typical cases of high functioning autism, at any rate. The NT types live in their heads rather than the present moment, less with feelings/empathy, and introversion would obviously lend itself to less sociability and more intense focus/interests.

I have diagnosed autism and obsessive-compulsive traits. No ADHD; I'm not hyperactive and always found it easy to focus on academics (Niednagel claims ENTPs don't do well in school until college; I did well at every grade level). Of the 16 types, INTP is probably best fit, and when I gave people who knew me relatively well, and yet didn't know the Myers-Briggs, a "blind" list of traits of each of the 16 types (so as to avoid confirmation bias), they all picked the category that corresponded most closely with INTP. This was after I was thinking I had been an INFJ for years. But I've since learned people think much more highly of my logic and intellectual abilities, and say I'm actually extremely inept in reading social cues/empathy (strengths more of the NF types, and of ENTPs who can put on acting ability). I thought INFJ was a fit because I was sensitive to criticism and adept with language, but there's more to it than that.

Im an ENTP,.

I think I need a somewhat open environment to do well, and constrained, classroom environment with no emphasis on applied learning nor an over riding goal or purpose did not suit me.

I'm kind of split between what the ENTP wants ( build things, change things, break things and remake them) and what the aspie wants (fix things, keep things working, control changes, peace and quiet).

INTP here. Whenever I've seen a poll in an Aspie/Autism group there has been a clear majority of INTJ/INTPs.

Mediator Personality (INFP, -A/-T)

I remember taking this maybe a month ago (didn't realize it was the same test), and got the same result. Didn't try to rig the answers, it's too late for that kind of foolishness.

Interesting that Johnny Depp is another of the same personality as me. My ex gf always said Johnny Depp was her dream guy.

I'm an INFP. I have a passion for helping others, especially homeless and people with disabilities. I'm planning on getting involved with legit/decent groups addressing ASD. I think there should be more dialog between "mainstream society" and people with ASD. People with ASD should not feel ashamed for being who they are.

That’s what my career field is in and I am soon to be back in it in 1.5 weeks. But I took this test today (INTP-T) and was something completely different than previously so what is up with that???? I answer the questions the same, but if I overthink them, I guess some questions could come out with different answers depending on how my day is going.

I used to always test INTJ, but for the past few years it's more variable. Sometimes I'm INTP and sometimes INFJ, but so far never INFP. I'm strongly I and N but only marginally T/F and J/P.

I used to work as a civil engineer, and all civil engineers that I know of test INTJ. I wonder how much results are influenced by environment.

Last time I took one of these tests I got either INTJ or INTP IIRC. The former was the most recent result & seems to track with me. The latter I did not entirely agree with but it's been a while since I did it last.

It's been a number of years since I took the Myers Briggs test, but I too got the INTJ classification for my results.

I have taken the test a few times I mostly get INFJ or INFP but apparently JRR Tolkien was a INFP which is fine because he is one of my favourite fantasy writers.

I'm and INTJ-T
I've done this test many times over the years and always got the same result.
Just found out about my probably AS two weeks ago

This is a question which has fascinated me for a long time, because I investigated personality sorters as a ways of understanding why I was different a long time before I knew about ASD. I never liked the Meyer-Briggs test specifically, but a variation of it developed by a Psychologist named Keirsey. Keirsey ... is much better. He really breaks it down into 4 types divided by whether people are N (internally focused thinking) or S (externally focused thinking) .... and then the other types all derive from that basic difference. N's are more related to how they think ... so the four NTs have more in common with each other than the 4 NFs ... and the S's are more based around how they organize data and things ... so the SJ's have more in common than the SP's .... so thats how he groups them. Then he explores and talks about the actual behavior of those types, in the same way that someone might explore the behavior of a condition like ASD or ADHD. Of course, they are all spectrums ... and you can have degrees.

In my own way of explaining it ... I'd say its better to not think of it as 16 types but as four sliding switches and each letter represents a value on one of the switches .... so you've got

1. EXPERIENCING THE WORLD with an S (externally focused) at one end and N (internally focused) at the other.
2. INTERACTING WITH DETAILS with a J (organized, lists, neat) at one and and a P (open, messy, organic) on the other
3. THINKING AND MOTOR with T ( logic, math, technical like engineering and science as well as small motor skills like martial arts and the technical motor skills involved in drawing) and F ( feelings, emotions, spirituality, humanities, psychology, history)
4. SOCIAL with I (introversion ... finding being around large groups of people or strangers to be draining, introverts do not always have difficulty with small groups) ... E (extroverts ... needing and feeding on social interaction with people regardless of relationship, in fact many extroverts love the attention of strangers more than friends.)

So we have our switches, but they aren't just up or down ... they are sliding switches .... each time you find you are a little bit more geared towards being organized versus not ... then you move the slider that direction ... but unless you bury the needle someplace, you are going to have qualities on both sides ... that's why its a sliding scale ... and its how it can apply to everyone ... because it doesn't put people in boxes or eliminate anything ... its just a language for talking about and describing our qualities .... For instance... I am basically 50/50 on being an E or T .... and I'm about 60/40 on being a P or a J .... about the only thing that's fully on one side or another is that I'm an I and an N. The idea is to just kind of go with whatever is on one side of the line or another. So I usually go with INFP with INTJ overtones, and that seems fairly accurate given the description of the behavior Keirsey describes for those types.

That said ... based on the fact that Keirsey says that N's only comprise about 10 percent of the human population, and some of the other behavior patterns he assigns them, I've often thought that N's and ASD might have a relationship. If you are curious, I actually recommend not taking the test as the test is easy to get screwy with ... as many of you have seen .... what I recommend is reading the book Please Understand Me II by Keirsey .... He also has a website here : Keirsey .... look at the description of the behaviors for each of the types ... see what really applies to you and then maybe take the test ...

I've taken this type of test several times, and I always come out as 100% I and strongly J, but usually score close to the line of N/S and T/F, and can come out on either side of both depending on my mood when I take the test. Just now I got...

I (100%)
S (62%)
F (56%)
J (71%)
T (89%)

there is one highly esoteric systematic version of Jung's typology that was developed in Soviet Union area. One of the main researcher in it claims that autism is introverted intuition. Wikisocion

It claims to help people with relations and every type has one sort of relation each of 16 types. Like romantic relations and professional relations etc. I suppose many aspergerians might like it. It is 100 % logically consistent and complex but lacks empirical validation.

Last edited:
Bumping a dead thread here. I find the MBTI and Enneagram tests facinating. My MBTI is:
I- 74%
N- 63%
F- 53%
P- 60%
-T - 67%
I only have a mild preference for Feeling over Thinking.

A thread is only dead if it's closed.
MBTI is a perpetual interest for some members of this forum.

Esfa here, apparantly extrovert, entertainer, I enjoy stuff like this, to be taken as a bit of fun but yeah elements of truth

New Threads

Top Bottom