• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator and Autism

SomeRandomAspie

Unspecified origin
I recently took the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) found at Free personality test | 16Personalities and I got the result of INTJ. Being someone with Asperger's I was wondering if the percentage of INT personalities was higher on the spectrum as opposed to people not on the spectrum. If you know your type then plese respond. If you don't you can take a free test at Free personality test | 16Personalities which takes about 14 minutes.

The problem with these kind of test is that they are easy enough to game towards a desired outcome, and I have to question if I am answering with my true self or my coping skills.

I got ISTJ-T Logistician. Mind 100% introverted, Energy 59% observant, Nature 92% thinking, Tactics 97% judging, Identity 65% turbulent.

I agree with Keigan on the idea that the tests can be skewed, and I also have some doubts based on personal experience on the algorithm used by 16Personalities: I took the test once in school, got INTJ. I took it again a few years later as part of an assessment pre-job interview with a company, same result. I took it again for fun on 2 different websites a few weeks (months?) ago, and I got INTJ on a website I can't remember, but ISTJ on 16Personalities. And... I'm not sure how or why they would have a different result than 3 unrelated sources, aside from the fact that they seem to have fewer questions (and a wording that I personally find confusing at times).

My result today was also INTJ. This is not my first time taking the Meyers-briggs, and previously was the same result for me. I find these types of quizzes and tests interesting.

Another ISTJ here, as seen in my footer, there does seem to be a higher proportion of ISTJ's and INTJ's, but I also agree with @Keigan (see reply above) and question how accurate the test really is. I also question how accurate a personality test can really be that puts people into a small number of categories based on a few specific questions because everyone's personality is unique + extremely complex and there's therefore an infinite number of variations (not 16) and no-one's personality can be close to properly covered in just a hand full of questions and answers. People who have been married for over 50 years may believe that they pretty much know their partner, but even they can occasionally be surprised by something in their partner's personally that they didn't realise, so again I question how can a 10-15 minute test possibly give an accurate result? To myself it's more a bit of fun than a serious result.

Last edited:
I agree with Keigan on the idea that the tests can be skewed, and I also have some doubts based on personal experience on the algorithm used by 16Personalities: I took the test once in school, got INTJ. I took it again a few years later as part of an assessment pre-job interview with a company, same result. I took it again for fun on 2 different websites a few weeks (months?) ago, and I got INTJ on a website I can't remember, but ISTJ on 16Personalities. And... I'm not sure how or why they would have a different result than 3 unrelated sources, aside from the fact that they seem to have fewer questions (and a wording that I personally find confusing at times).
Obviously the test can be skewed, just as almost any test can be skewed. I still find it interesting how many ISTJ's and INTJ's there are. Both types combined make up just 13.6% of the general population, but I haven't seen a single non INTJ or ISTJ type on this thread so far. I suspect a correlation however it's too early to say and again you could skew the test if you wanted to.

I know an INFP Aspie. (Not here on the forum, though, which isn't surprising, because she is happy whenever she can skip using a computer)

I know an INFP Aspie. (Not here on the forum, though, which isn't surprising, because she is happy whenever she can skip using a computer)
That's not surprising. I'm just saying it's possible that there is a greater percentage of ISTJ and INTJ types on the autism spectrum.

I recently took the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) found at Free personality test | 16Personalities and I got the result of INTJ. Being someone with Asperger's I was wondering if the percentage of INT personalities was higher on the spectrum as opposed to people not on the spectrum. If you know your type then plese respond. If you don't you can take a free test at Free personality test | 16Personalities which takes about 14 minutes.

Took the test, bought my profile book. Incredibly interesting stuff, thanks for sharing ;)

IMG_3363.PNG
Took the test out of interest, and I'm an ISTJ, whatever that means!

INTJ-A. It's interesting that this personality type comprises 2% of the population (0.8% of females). That's similar to the fraction of people on the spectrum, and the description is basically that of a typical aspie. I don't think the test got anything wrong about me, except the "assertive" part, though I guess if I believe in something, I don't tend to shut up about it if someone disagrees with me, until I have convinced them that I am right, so that's pretty assertive I guess.

I'm an INTJ-T. My guess is that there aren't necessarily more INT types are on the spectrum. I think it's more that Introverted Thinker types are easier to diagnose because the personalities in themselves appear very similar to traits found in people who are on the spectrum. But, I will say that being an Introverted Thinker doesn't automatically put a person on the spectrum because the causes of the two traits differ. So when an Introverted Thinker is on the spectrum, it may be more apparent, more prominent, more noticeable than other personality types, especially those who lean toward Extroverted Feeling.

I'm an INFP. I have a passion for helping others, especially homeless and people with disabilities. I'm planning on getting involved with legit/decent groups addressing ASD. I think there should be more dialog between "mainstream society" and people with ASD. People with ASD should not feel ashamed for being who they are.

I've often wondered about this, also. There are only two researchers I know of, however, who have remotely tried to connect the Myers-Briggs types to some kind of neuroscience (Dario Nardi and Jon Niednagel), yet only Nardi has attempted some link with introversion and thinking to autism (Niednagel has linked the E__P types with ADHD, but has not reported any analysis on autism).

I would think INTJ and INTP would certainly exhibit the most typical cases of high functioning autism, at any rate. The NT types live in their heads rather than the present moment, less with feelings/empathy, and introversion would obviously lend itself to less sociability and more intense focus/interests.

I have diagnosed autism and obsessive-compulsive traits. No ADHD; I'm not hyperactive and always found it easy to focus on academics (Niednagel claims ENTPs don't do well in school until college; I did well at every grade level). Of the 16 types, INTP is probably best fit, and when I gave people who knew me relatively well, and yet didn't know the Myers-Briggs, a "blind" list of traits of each of the 16 types (so as to avoid confirmation bias), they all picked the category that corresponded most closely with INTP. This was after I was thinking I had been an INFJ for years. But I've since learned people think much more highly of my logic and intellectual abilities, and say I'm actually extremely inept in reading social cues/empathy (strengths more of the NF types, and of ENTPs who can put on acting ability). I thought INFJ was a fit because I was sensitive to criticism and adept with language, but there's more to it than that.

New Threads

Top Bottom