• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

medication question...

e79243

high functioning
I just self diagnosed that I have high functioning autism with all the reading I have done. First I thought ADHD, then depression, then Borderline Personality Disorder, then Anti Social Disorder finally found one that fits the whole bill i.e. High Functioning Autism. Took many test and I score very high on them. When I was taking medication for "depression" I did not seem to have such a social issue as I have now with no medication (going on 5 years of no meds due to high blood pressure result of meds) I noticed when I got off Zoloft I started the Autism personality that I did not have when on the meds for 18 years. I am raw dealing with this Autism thing. I have been seriously thinking about getting on something again and going back to the doctor again and get on this so I do not continue this social skill issue I have without it. I am confident and happy on meds and stone face and no personality without the meds. Your story would help....I am 50 and was on Zoloft starting at 25

I just self diagnosed that I have high functioning autism with all the reading I have done. First I thought ADHD, then depression, then Borderline Personality Disorder, then Anti Social Disorder finally found one that fits the whole bill i.e. High Functioning Autism. Took many test and I score very high on them. When I was taking medication for "depression" I did not seem to have such a social issue as I have now with no medication (going on 5 years of no meds due to high blood pressure result of meds) I noticed when I got off Zoloft I started the Autism personality that I did not have when on the meds for 18 years. I am raw dealing with this Autism thing. I have been seriously thinking about getting on something again and going back to the doctor again and get on this so I do not continue this social skill issue I have without it. I am confident and happy on meds and stone face and no personality without the meds. Your story would help....I am 50 and was on Zoloft starting at 25
Since you feel strongly that you're on the spectrum, you might consider getting a professional diagnosis. This will open up a door of services available to you.

I feel it will close a lot of doors for me such as job and custody of child if I tell anyone

I don't think anyone is going to say that you're an unfit parent just because you have autism.

As for myself I take risperidone, which is a neuroleptic so it can come with some heavy side affects; I needed an ECG in order for it to get prescribed. It was prescribed for psychosis at the time but it also has helped me a lot with anxiety and depression since it doubles up as a mood stabiliser. In America it's licensed for the use aggressive, self injurious behaviour and repetitive behaviour in autism. I'm quite lucky because I only need a low dose to get a more or less desired affect and I get no noticeable side affects.

I feel the same way. On the SSRI I am much more social (but also a little hyper) and without I feel just like you. I am waiting for adhd test results and I also want to be tested for autism. I am 39

New Threads

Top Bottom