• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mature Man Recently Diagnosed with Asperger's.

b8fcc327bdcc93221e5c95c56a49c3d9.png

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. What kinds of fiction do you like to read?

:palmtree::bug::cactus::dragon::palmtree:

Welcome! Lots of readers here :)

Autism is a PDD so some parts of our brains did not mature as expected (among NTs), but it confers some advantages, too.
full

Hey shout-out to you for checking us out. We are a friendly group of budding autistic tribe and we welcome all new members.

Welcome!

I was in my 50's when diagnosed. There are quite a few of us here.

I enjoy doing internet research too. Mainly physics, space, psychology and medical.
This is a good place. Hope you like it as much as I have.:)

What are the advantages?
Like gifteds (who are often Aspies, too), we retain our youthful neuro[plasticity?] longer than NTs do.

NTs outgrow these traits around 25[?] and their thinking gets more crystalized[?].
We do not. We retain a high degree of childlike curiosity/teach-ability & creativity (a.k.a. fluid thinking). That appears childish to the uninitiated. It imparts a mental agility that is very useful in STEM fields (among others) and we get a reputation for thinking "outside of the box" (which is crystalized thinking). Crystalized thinking is serviceable for routine problems, but less so for novel ones. It is resistant to alternate paradigms [You can't teach an old dog new tricks]. (That shows up in Christianity, too.)

Frequently, we also have childish tastes in entertainment, like hobbies, toys & media choices. That childish neurology is not present throughout our brains, just in certain functions.

For Aspergers now-called ASD1, there are no cognitive deficits nor major co-morbid conditions. We are able to meet minimum adult responsibilities.

More at Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Autism Subtypes...

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom