• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking in the mirror (self-reflection)

Nisk

The Spoiler King
Recently a girl I've been seeing asked me if I was nervous around her. Being that I chose not to lie in my life today. I said that at first she did make me nervous. I was scared shitless but upon self-reflection it had nothing to do with aspergers or anxiety.

My life is such that those are just factors in a larger picture of my life. What person won't be nervous after not being on a date with another women for 11 years. Who won't be a bit anxious to have sex with a stranger when most of your sexual experience is with the same person. As an aspie I have a unique perspective on the world that doesn't mean that life has to pass me by. That means that, for one I can use logic to understand my own thought patterns. It's logical to feel certain ways in certain situations. By acknowledging this I'm taking away a bit of its power on me. I still have to be aware of certain aspects of who I am, no women wants to be bombarded with all my knowledge of ironworking or pirates. I can however move through the logical spectrum and come to a place of understanding of who I am.

I am unique, I am not terminally unique.

I like what you say here Nisk. Someone recently reminded me that for a situation that I was facing which also had to do with a new relationship; it was okay to be nervous, it made sense to be anxious and fairly obsessively analyzing everything I could think of. It didn't remove the nervousness but it did give me that same feeling as you described: "taking away a bit of its power on me."

New Threads

Top Bottom